New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I mean, that is like saying we drafted a QB in the top 5 before and it bombed so we will never draft a QB in the top 5 again.  You can't base a persons skill set, experience, and ability to do a job on previous hires.  Its hard to do but if you do you could easily miss out on the next guy.  GMs don't often get second chances.  So finding one with experience who had success of any sort is tough.  Dorsey is about the only one who turned around two teams recently but was pushed out of both for his inability to work with people and the cap.  Hiring an up and comer can be gold, or can be a bust but guys like Lynch were raw up and comers but have an eye for talent and understand how to build a team and work with a coach.  That is what I am looking for more than experience.  

Same with coaching.  We have hired retreads we have hired rookies.  There is no right or wrong way to hire a coach as long as you get the right guy.  

That's fine and all - anyone can get lucky - but I'm through ignoring obvious warning signs just because I want to be optimistic.

32 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

On a scale of 1-10, how excited or happy would you be if Colbert is the hire?

if it’s true I’d be at like a 6.5-7. I got his history of draft classes 

https://wholeninesports.com/2019/04/15/kevin-colbert-steelers-draft-history/

So here’s an update 

Edited by flyguy1609

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

That's fine and all - anyone can get lucky - but I'm through ignoring obvious warning signs just because I want to be optimistic.

So who doesn't have warning signs in your opinion?  And if the warning signs are simply he doesn't have experience in that role well neither did anyone who makes it to those types of roles for the first time.  Its not a warning, its a lack of exact experience which is pretty common when hiring someone since most people don't make lateral moves or take a step backwards.  If it is a GM with experience, the warning signs would be why did he get fired/leave the previous position.  There are warning signs for everyone if you look hard enough.  Its not about being lucky, its about hiring the right person with the right attitude and work ethic, the right fit, and the right knowledge.  SOmeone who is smart, works well with others, and is willing to listen to others around him. You can find that in a rookie or a more experienced person.  

Again, that's fine, but when they've said publicly they want someone with experience, if they went back on that and hired someone without it, that's a bad sign that I'm not going to ignore. You seem to be talking circles around it trying to convince yourself it would be a great move; you knock yourself out with that.

Just a hot list of GM's and HC candidates. Scratched out the guys who have found other jobs. 

GM'S

• Brad Holmes (2x)
  • Ed Dodds
  • George Paton > Denver Broncos (New)
  • Kevin Colbert (No interview)
  • Jeff Ireland
  • Terry Fontenot
  • John Schneider > Seattle (re-signed)
  • Thomas Dimitroff

COACHES

• Arthur Smith - Falcons, Jets, Lions (2x - Fri)
  • Robert Saleh
  • Todd Bowles (HC)
  • Darrell Bevell (Interim HC)
  • Dan Campbell (Interim HC)
  • Marvin Lewis (HC)

Edited by Karnage84

56 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Again, that's fine, but when they've said publicly they want someone with experience, if they went back on that and hired someone without it, that's a bad sign that I'm not going to ignore. You seem to be talking circles around it trying to convince yourself it would be a great move; you knock yourself out with that.

Oh I dont think its a great move, I am saying I dont really care if they hire experience or a rookie.  Both have succeeded around the league and both have failed.  I don't feel strong about any candidate to be honest and just hope they find the right one.  Im not confident they will but I also wont nitpick the candidates and knock them for not being at the top before when most only get one chance to be at the top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

If the Lions do decide to keep DB, trying to get a feel for a future coaching staff.

Trying to connect the dots - Name coaches with connections to Bevell during his last few stops

Green Bay > Joe Philbin (Dallas OL Coach); Doug Pederson (ex-Eagles HC)

Minnesota > Chad O'Shea (Cleveland WR coach/Passing Game coordinator); Leslie Frazier (Buffalo DC)

Seattle > Gus Bradley (New Raiders DC); Kris Richard (Available); Robert Saleh (49ers DC/HC Candidate); Tom Cable (Raiders OL coach); Dan Quinn (New Cowboys DC)

In terms of guys that would either receive a promotion and/or are available, it looks to break down like:

• HC - Darrell Bevell
  • OC - Chad O'Shea/Tom Cable >>> Would be very interested in adding Brian Schottenheimer into this mix
  • DC - Kris Richard
Edited by Karnage84

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If the Lions do decide to keep DB, trying to get a feel for a future coaching staff.

Trying to connect the dots - Name coaches with connections to Bevell during his last few stops

Green Bay > Joe Philbin (Dallas OL Coach); Doug Pederson (ex-Eagles HC)

Minnesota > Chad O'Shea (Cleveland WR coach/Passing Game coordinator); Leslie Frazier (Buffalo DC)

Seattle > Gus Bradley (New Raiders DC); Kris Richard (Available); Robert Saleh (49ers DC/HC Candidate); Tom Cable (Raiders OL coach); Dan Quinn (New Cowboys DC)

In terms of guys that would either receive a promotion and/or are available, it looks to break down like:

• HC - Darrell Bevell
  • OC - Chad O'Shea/Tom Cable >>> Would be very interested in adding Brian Schottenheimer into this mix
  • DC - Kris Richard

I would not be mad at all if Detroit wound up with:

GM - Ed Dodds

HC - Darrell Bevell

OC - Brian Schottenheimer

DC - Kris Richard

All of them have Seattle ties. Schottenheimer just helped set offensive records in Seattle after leaving Indy (Dodds connection) to take over the OC position from Bevell. Richard was a hot HC coaching name a couple years ago until he was fired during the ouster of Jason Garrett in Dallas. 

I am feeling less confident that Saleh does wind up in Detroit. With the offense being far from the issue, I do wonder if they come to the feeling "let's not fix what isn't broken", give Bevell the keys to turn things around and bringing in a personnel guy with a good track record in turning around a franchise. 

• Like 1