New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

22 hours ago, BZski said:

This is just the first on second in person interviews. According to Breer we will also bring in Fontenot, Ireland, Paton, and Dodds in person soon. Looks like one of those 5 will be our GM. I like the finalist list!

Paton signed with Denver. I thought he would end up in Detroit.

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So who doesn't have warning signs in your opinion?  And if the warning signs are simply he doesn't have experience in that role well neither did anyone who makes it to those types of roles for the first time.  Its not a warning, its a lack of exact experience which is pretty common when hiring someone since most people don't make lateral moves or take a step backwards.  If it is a GM with experience, the warning signs would be why did he get fired/leave the previous position.  There are warning signs for everyone if you look hard enough.  Its not about being lucky, its about hiring the right person with the right attitude and work ethic, the right fit, and the right knowledge.  SOmeone who is smart, works well with others, and is willing to listen to others around him. You can find that in a rookie or a more experienced person.  

I understand your point but I disagree about experience. Obviously every coach and GM get their first opportunity. 

I think someone coming from director of college scouting to an NFL GM role is far to big a reach. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I would not be mad at all if Detroit wound up with:

GM - Ed Dodds

HC - Darrell Bevell

OC - Brian Schottenheimer

DC - Kris Richard

All of them have Seattle ties. Schottenheimer just helped set offensive records in Seattle after leaving Indy (Dodds connection) to take over the OC position from Bevell. Richard was a hot HC coaching name a couple years ago until he was fired during the ouster of Jason Garrett in Dallas. 

I am feeling less confident that Saleh does wind up in Detroit. With the offense being far from the issue, I do wonder if they come to the feeling "let's not fix what isn't broken", give Bevell the keys to turn things around and bringing in a personnel guy with a good track record in turning around a franchise. 

I think that could be an effective grouping. 

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

What are your thoughts on him?

He’s not my first choice but I think he must have made a great impression. While Titans offense is a little boring they did put up numbers. I would be intrigued by what he would do for our offense.

My first choice for HC is Dan Campbell which a lot of people are lukewarm on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I understand your point but I disagree about experience. Obviously every coach and GM get their first opportunity. 

I think someone coming from director of college scouting to an NFL GM role is far to big a reach. 

In most organizations, under the GM there is a Director of Pro Personnel and a Director of College Scouting.  There really aren't any more steps in between them unless you want the new GM to have experience in both aspects, which again is rare.  Its like an assistant manager becoming a manager. I would prefer someone coming from a college scouting standpoint since they would understand the process of putting a draft board together and also know a lot about pro players given they scouted them all at one point. 

Non-Lions related but HC news: Urban Meyer is allegedly "Jaguars or bust". Will be interesting to see how that shakes out. 

We won't be seeing Meyer, Trevor Lawrence and the Jags in 2021 unless we're both in the Super Bowl. 

I'll wait for you to finish laughing...... still waiting... 

Ok.... finally.... dammit.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

In most organizations, under the GM there is a Director of Pro Personnel and a Director of College Scouting.  There really aren't any more steps in between them unless you want the new GM to have experience in both aspects, which again is rare.  Its like an assistant manager becoming a manager. I would prefer someone coming from a college scouting standpoint since they would understand the process of putting a draft board together and also know a lot about pro players given they scouted them all at one point. 

The Lions have been there and done that. 

25 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

The Lions have been there and done that. 

So you only want someone with actual GM experience that has failed elsewhere? 

You have talked about wanting Bill Cowher as GM/football czar and he was just a coach like 15 years ago and has been a broadcaster since.  How is that any more of a stretch than hiring someone who has been a director of college scouting to a position who's primary job is to draft well and add talent to the team?

22 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So you only want someone with actual GM experience that has failed elsewhere? 

You have talked about wanting Bill Cowher as GM/football czar and he was just a coach like 15 years ago and has been a broadcaster since.  How is that any more of a stretch than hiring someone who has been a director of college scouting to a position who's primary job is to draft well and add talent to the team?

No, I want someone like Ed Dodds who has been in charge of all aspects of player personnel previously and has experience as an assistant GM. 

The Lions have a long history of hiring inexperienced people and failing. Holmes is Quinn the second. Someone with experience in one aspect of football operations that rose to run one aspect of a teams operation. I don’t want a college scouting director or a pro personnel director to become GM. 

As for Cowher he didn’t just wake up and become stupid. Many people pursue different avenues of their career. Unlike most broadcasters he has been highly successful as an NFL head coach. He’s kept in touch with the game and has contacts throughout the football world. I worked in a highly technical rapidly changing environment and stepped away for five years to pursue another interest and returned. Many people do it.

Spielman was hired as an advisor not a GM yet many here touted him for GM. He’s a broadcaster as well but lacks any hands on experience with an NFL franchise. Cowher     offers the complete resume. 

The Lions need to get this right. They’ve been a pathetic excuse for a football franchise my entire life. They don’t need to continue making the same tired mistakes of the past.

As for a GM that has failed in the past that’s not what I want at all. If they hire an ex GM I would hope it’s someone that has clearly had success at building a franchise that has won. No team stays on top forever

The fact the Lions are interviewing everyone under the sun for the job openings is a reflection of how incompetent the franchise has been. Once again it appears, from my perspective they are trying to be the smartest guys in the room and find some individual they perceive as a hidden gem rather than finding someone that is qualified and hire him. Competent organizations identify qualified individuals and make their move. They don’t have to always search outside the organization and conduct a huge list of interviews. 

Everyone seems to discredit or undervalue experience. The world is full of examples of incompetence that is directly related to inexperience.

Holmes may prove to be a great GM but it’s the same path the Lions took in hiring Quinn. These guys have advanced from scout to lead one organizational silo but lack the breadth of experience required. Some teams get lucky hiring individuals like this but the Lions have zero history of being able to identify the right candidates. As a result they should be hiring someone with broad experience. In addition these individuals running a silo don’t have final say in anything. Quinn came from a highly successful organization. It meant nothing because he didn’t have authority. Holmes is the same thing just a different silo. 

The reality of the Lions is they are trying to hire someone with more football knowledge and experience than anyone currently in the organization. They are uniquely unqualified to hire a GM so it’s paramount they choose someone with more experience. It’s the reality if an organization that has a president with zero football acumen.

One last point. I believe I said I want someone with experience. I also added to that saying they need experience in the GM or HC roles however an experienced GM or HC would mitigate some of the risk and allow the hiring of an inexperienced HC or GM.

So, if they were to hire Holmes I would hope they then hire an experienced HC. The last thing this organization needs is a first time GM and a first time HC. Once again, we’ve seen how that works out.

• Like 1