New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

Just now, SimbaWho said:

He's a leader of men type of guy. High character. Parcells umbrella. Payton umbrella. Everyone that's interviewed him(and passed him up) come away highly impressed. Some HC experience with Miami as an interim.  

He seems to be a guy around the league that's on everyone's list, and like but never really their guy.

I know that he's a former Lions but I'm not sure I want him to be "our guy". For some reason he has not been given a HC role yet and I don't know if I want to be the one that rolls the dice on him. He's a position coach, not a coordinator. Even if he was a ST Coordinator he would at least have experience running an entire unit as opposed to just a couple guys. 

16 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I dunno. It's my opinion that he might've viewed that Week 17 game for what it was: irrelevant. Management clearly wasn't behind the decision to tank, so doing so wouldn't have gone over well. Instead, if he viewed it as an opportunity to get a player some playing time during an irrelevant Week 17 game, it makes sense to me. That stuff happens all the time.

I'll give my thoughts as an outsider looking into that situation. It' was a tank look, and it embarrassed the owner and owners do not get embarrassed without consequences in the NFL. Someone might of even told him(Pederson) to do it, but the back'lash that followed embarrassed the Eagles and ownership, cause, the NFL is known as the "TRY-HARD" league. NO tanking

(IMO) Because it looked so bad someone had to pay.

Now, if Pederson went rogue and did what you're suggesting, either of you( Louis Friend/ TL ) I question if he'll ever get as a HC job in NFL again. (Big statement) but you can't pull tank moves like that in the NFL. Other guys/players careers are/were on the line than just Sudfields and they needed a fair shot at a overall good game to give themselves a shot to prove themselves. Putting Sudfield in didn't give anyone a chance but Sudfield and Eagles draft spot(S). 

Ego and results might have more to do with his firing than him being an actual bad coach or clash of ideas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I'll give my thoughts as an outsider looking into that situation. It' was a tank look, and it embarrassed the owner and owners do not get embarrassed without consequences in the NFL. Someone might of even told him(Pederson) to do it, but the back'lash that followed embarrassed the Eagles and ownership, cause, the NFL is known as the "TRY-HARD" league. NO tanking

(IMO) Because it looked so bad someone had to pay.

Now, if Pederson went rogue and did what you're suggesting, either of you( Louis Friend/ TL ) I question if he'll ever get as a HC job in NFL again. (Big statement) but you can't pull tank moves like that in the NFL. Other guys/players careers are/were on the line than just Sudfields and they needed a fair shot at a overall good game to give themselves a shot to prove themselves. Putting Sudfield in didn't give anyone a chance but Sudfield and Eagles draft spot(S). 

Ego and results might have more to do with his firing than him being an actual bad coach or clash of ideas.

Although I sort of agree, "we want to get a look at the younger guy" is a tanking strategy frequently used in the NFL. In fairness, it makes sense: sometimes you have to give a guy actual game snaps to get a feel for how good and/or bad he is. (Losing is an added bonus.)

I doubt he "went rogue", honestly. All of the reports are that he wanted a specific offensive coordinator, and refused to budge. After the down year they had, and the fracture between Peterson and Wentz, I can see that.

Due to the popularity of Saleh to Detroits fans and community, what's the better move from a PR position if you are Detroit and Saleh is not your preferred choice for hc? Hiring someone other than Saleh while he is still available, or letting some one else hire Saleh and then you hire your guy?  Does it matter?

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Due to the popularity of Saleh to Detroits fans and community, what's the better move from a PR position if you are Detroit and Saleh is not your preferred choice for hc? Hiring someone other than Saleh while he is still available, or letting some one else hire Saleh and then you hire your guy?  Does it matter?

I think it would be far better to let Saleh go somewhere else first. You can get the "hey guys, we tried but he decided to sign elsewhere" angle. You can also cut the legs out from under the story by then making your own hire. If we hire someone else and then Saleh is still on the market briefly and then signs elsewhere there will always be people second guessing and saying "why didn't we go after him hard?". 

In either case, Saleh and the new HC (if it's not Saleh) will be tied together by Lions fans. If he goes to a team like the Falcons and suddenly takes off while we still struggle in a rebuild, then it would be easier to say "he didn't want to be here" than "we chose someone else over him and now we still suck". 

11 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It was always a long shot, but one I hoped had a chance. Oh well, I still think Louis Riddick is a stronger candidate than most people realize. Especially watching these others guys interview with other teams. 

I read something highly critical of Schneider, claiming that he's the reason they haven't gone farther with an elite QB. (I haven't researched him enough to draw that same conclusion.)

17 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It was always a long shot, but one I hoped had a chance. Oh well, I still think Louis Riddick is a stronger candidate than most people realize. Especially watching these others guys interview with other teams. 

I have a strong inclination it is going to be Riddick as well. I don't know how I feel about that, but I think he is a top 3 candidate and depending on the hc choice possibly #1.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I have a strong inclination it is going to be Riddick as well. I don't know how I feel about that, but I think he is a top 3 candidate and depending on the hc choice possibly #1.

I'm worried it's Paton.  I hope Spielman would do a favor to a friend after all the buddyball that happened here recently with the NE guys, but I saw that he was the only candidate to have an in person interview and not over Zoom.  

I'm really hoping it's Dodds.  He's been my top guy all along and now that he canceled an interview and set one up with us makes me really  hope it's going to happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I read something highly critical of Schneider, claiming that he's the reason they haven't gone farther with an elite QB. (I haven't researched him enough to draw that same conclusion.)

That Superbowl team was built around a run game and defense. It helped that they had a rookie contract QB with a cap friendly deal (like Chiefs, Rams and Panthers). Unless you are the Patriots and Brady takes a pay cut, most teams struggle to field competitive teams yearly without cap friendly QBs. But the Seahawks have.

Since he took over in 2010 (along with Carroll), they finished first in their division 5 times, 2nd in their division 4 times, made the playoffs 9 out of 11 years. Won ten playoff games, made it to 2 Superbowls, winning 1. 

Because Pete Carroll has more influence of roster moves than most HCs, some believe Schneider doesn't deserve as much create for Seattle's success. But if that's the case, how does he get blame for not being more successful? 

• Like 1