New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

5 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

Because it’s one persons opinion. It has nothing to show how it’s fake. He literally states “in my opinion”.

"Oh, by the way, the whole bakery tweet may be a joke (it IS a joke), but in my opinion, Saleh will be the next head coach of the Detroit Lions, so preheat the oven and get the cake batter going!"

It literally says "it IS a joke". His opinion is Saleh will be the next head coach of the Detroit Lions. Those are two different things.

The author even goes out of his way to capitalize the is.

As far as the rest of it, he stated lions fans were calling the bakery for confirmation.  I guess yes, he doesn't have real hard evidence, because he doesn't share the phone conversations in the article.

Edited by LionArkie

5 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Now they are saying Saleh didn’t interview well. Oh boy...

Sounds like the Northwestern Coach is on their radar.  If they go the college route i really hope they go for Matt Campbell.  I think he could be a great architect type coach to build the program here.

From Reddit :

They keep getting stumped on the "why do you want to work for us?" questiion.

I love reddit.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:26 PM, HashtagFTW said:

Let’s not pretend that he didn’t have star talent all over his team. Those Cincy teams were LOADED. Not only did they have perennial talent on both sides of the ball, but they took top tier talent at the backend of the draft every year that fell due to character concerns. They were deep, and they were loaded. Those teams should have had at bare minimum one playoff win. 

Yeah the last part is prolly right, justified his firing even.

But i'm not like you where I gloss over the good like drafting well but discredit that because you claim character concerns in draft. Which Palmer/Dalton/Green/Atkins/Leon Hall/Michael Johnson/Kirkpatrick/Eifert/Bernard/Jonathan Joseph/Whitworth. An idk alot of good/solid players inbetween i'm not ready to really sift through, didn't have.

Marvin Lewis had them in the playoffs basically every other year. I'm willing to do that here and risk him not going 0-7 again.

But, You are right, he should of won more playoff games. That's why he's fired. I'm just willing to give him a 2nd chance if he wants it. That's all, He's no sure thing or home run. I think he's more proven than someone like Josh McDaniels though, who people like.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Sounds like the Northwestern Coach is on their radar.  If they go the college route i really hope they go for Matt Campbell.  I think he could be a great architect type coach to build the program here.

Not interview well how? I stay far away from the Twitverse. 

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Not interview well how? I stay far away from the Twitverse. 

Yeah I read this too and thought what the heck?

Idk, maybe he didn't seem prepared? Unable to answer specific questions with detail? Idk a lot goes on in interviews. Unless he seemed unprofessional/disinterested/unprepared; Idk what else to grasp from a suggested, "bad interview", without details.

Same article/tweeter suggest focus shifted towards Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. Idk how he'd know that, might just be in line for a interview himself.

Edited by SimbaWho

12 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Who are saying?

Dave Birkett Twitterissä: "A lot of you asking about Robert Saleh this morning, The feedback I got was that his interview with the Lions went well, they liked his presentation and potential staff." / Twitter

3 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah I read this too and thought what the heck?

Idk, maybe he didn't seem prepared? Unable to answer specific questions with detail? Idk a lot goes on in interviews. Unless he seemed unprofessional/disinterested/unprepared; Idk what else to grasp from a suggested, "bad interview", without details.

Same article/tweeter suggest focus shifted towards Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. Idk how he'd know that, might just be in line for a interview himself.

I've read/seen videos speculating that Fitzgerald would only really leave Northwestern to go to Chicago if that job opened up. 

My personal preference is that we hire the GM before we hire the HC or we hire them consecutively (they both are in agreement to come in as a pair and work together). There are allusions that the GM and HC will be in partnership and that one won't be working for the other. I really think that the GM hire is the 1a of a very important two part process. The GM needs to be able to assess the HC's abilities and then identify and add the best players to make this work. A HC (1b) can only coach up guys so much and does generally need talent to either succeed or thrive. 

I'd be more comfortable with a veteran GM and a rookie HC who has shown the promise to develop into the leader of men the team needs. 

Thomas Dimitroff or Rick Smith and Robert Saleh at HC would be my ideal combination. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teude said:

i saw this today.  I read he didn’t interview well from POD.  I think it’s just rumor nonesense, but I can see him not doing well in an interview setting.  I can see that setting tapping down his intensity and that’s probably one of his best traits.

3 minutes ago, teude said:

1 minute ago, Millenhater said:

i saw this today.  I read he didn’t interview well from POD.  I think it’s just rumor nonesense, but I can see him not doing well in an interview setting.  I can see that setting tapping down his intensity and that’s probably one of his best traits.

I have a bit more faith in guys like Birkett than POD. I don't discount them as a news source but I will put more weight into what someone like Dave or Michael Rothstein says than the guys at POD. 

54 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I have a bit more faith in guys like Birkett than POD. I don't discount them as a news source but I will put more weight into what someone like Dave or Michael Rothstein says than the guys at POD. 

They were quoting a different writer.  It wasn’t their source.  But i would as well.

11 hours ago, LionArkie said:

"Oh, by the way, the whole bakery tweet may be a joke (it IS a joke), but in my opinion, Saleh will be the next head coach of the Detroit Lions, so preheat the oven and get the cake batter going!"

It literally says "it IS a joke". His opinion is Saleh will be the next head coach of the Detroit Lions. Those are two different things.

The author even goes out of his way to capitalize the is.

As far as the rest of it, he stated lions fans were calling the bakery for confirmation.  I guess yes, he doesn't have real hard evidence, because he doesn't share the phone conversations in the article.

Him calling it a joke, doesn't disprove the persons original tweet. If he quoted the bakery stating the interaction never took place, that would disprove it. 

I like Saleh but I do find it strange that Rod Wood said they'd sign their guy early to not compete with other teams and Saleh is still interviewing with other teams.

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Him calling it a joke, doesn't disprove the persons original tweet. If he quoted the bakery stating the interaction never took place, that would disprove it. 

I like Saleh but I do find it strange that Rod Wood said they'd sign their guy early to not compete with other teams and Saleh is still interviewing with other teams.

That’s a good point however I wouldn’t read to much into it. I think it would be foolish to hire a coach before the GM. A coach in place would simply be a negative for an incoming GM.

Perhaps the plan is to hire the GM who has already made his feelings known about a coach.

• Like 1