What to do with Allen Robinson?

WindyCity

It is going to be very difficult for the Bears to tag Allen Robinson.

If they cut Leno, Massie, Graham and Skrine they get to 30 million in cap space with only 31 players on the roster. Robinson's tag is 16 million.

If you want Robinson, it costs you Fuller or Hicks.

Let him go ...not that I blame him, but he clearly doesn't want to be here any more judging by his social media activity over the past few months.  Robinson is a nice player but I don't think it would be wise to spend all that money on one offensive player when there are so many other needs with this team.

Tag and trade him for a 2nd or transition tag him and let him go if the offer is outrageous.

I'm eyeing the Jets early 2nd.  They need play makers for their new QB and ARob has connections to NY.  It's a good fit IMO.

IMO WRs can be found a lot easier than other positions.  Remember when everyone was upset when Jeffery left?  No one cares any more.

There will also be a good number of quality WR free agents this coming off season.  

• Like 1

Tag and trade is not exactly a sure thing, but represents the best case scenario.  I want us to trade Hicks anyway this offseason, so we can eat the tag cost until traded.

There's no way this team is competitive with a light refresh.  Accumulating picks and shedding contracts is going to hurt, but sets up better for the long term. 

If you're against this idea, the question is:  what is your best case scenario for the Bears in 2021, and how do you get there?  I mean, lets say you draft a tackle and he's a star, and you somehow manage to keep everyone around by putting more money forward, how many wins does this offense get you? What's the point?

Tag and trade is the way to go. 

If there's no buyers, then let him ride out the tag helping our rookie qb out at the dollar value we reportedly where prepared to offer him anyhow... If he doesn't play or plays poorly, he'll just hurt himself going into another contract year.  He has no leverage. 

Edited by Epyon

22 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Tag and trade is not exactly a sure thing, but represents the best case scenario.  I want us to trade Hicks anyway this offseason, so we can eat the tag cost until traded.

There's no way this team is competitive with a light refresh.  Accumulating picks and shedding contracts is going to hurt, but sets up better for the long term. 

If you're against this idea, the question is:  what is your best case scenario for the Bears in 2021, and how do you get there?  I mean, lets say you draft a tackle and he's a star, and you somehow manage to keep everyone around by putting more money forward, how many wins does this offense get you? What's the point?

The problem with the tag and trade is that 16 million is tied up till the trade happens and other teams know we need to move him.

11 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Tag and trade is the way to go. 

If there's no buyers, then let him ride out the tag helping our rookie qb out at the dollar value we reportedly where prepared to offer him anyhow... If he doesn't play or plays poorly, he'll just hurt himself going into another contract year.  He has no leverage. 

There is no way they can afford to keep him at a 16 million dollar cap hit and address any other needs in any significant way.

He was supposed to be a jump ball, 50/50 guy and he hasn't done that most of the time here. He's not exceptional in most areas and isn't a scheme fit.

I'm very against paying WR big money, so I'm fine tagging and trading. He clearly doesn't want to be here anymore, so bye.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I wonder if Kenny Golladay would want to come back home to play for his hometown Chicago Bears?  He'd likely cost a heck of a lot cheaper than re-signing ARob.

I haven't looked to confirm but it seems like Golladay has consistently been on the injury report for his 4 seasons. I'm not sure I want to pay top dollar for an unreliable, albeit a #1, wideout

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:
If you want Robinson, it costs you Fuller or Hicks.

Why? For a few million dollar raise? That doesn't even make sense.

But...even if I'm wrong about that--sure. New coach, 4-3 defense...trade Fuller and Hicks, both. 

Edited by Heinz D.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I haven't looked to confirm but it seems like Golladay has consistently been on the injury report for his 4 seasons. I'm not sure I want to pay top dollar for an unreliable, albeit a #1, wideout

Which is why he will probably command less than a guy like Robinson. 

Just a thought if we are to lose Robinson ...which is trending that way.

I don’t think he wants to be here and i can’t blame him.  He’ll likely make more money on the open market than what the bears are offering him.  If he comes back he’s most likely catching passes from Foles or a rookie in the last few years of his prime.

Id love if we can tag and trade him, but how often does that really happen?  If we want him here next year they gotta tag him, i dont see why he would resign here willingly unless they grossly overpay him.

My guess is he will walk as a free agent and find a new team next year.  Comp pick is the most well get from him.

17 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Id love if we can tag and trade him, but how often does that really happen?  If we want him here next year they gotta tag him, i dont see why he would resign here willingly unless they grossly overpay him.

It's actually been happening a lot lately: Frank Clark, Clowney, Ngakoue, Dee Ford, Jarvis Landry

Plus guys that were tagged, but never eventually traded but were probably/most likely on the block: Thuney, Harris, Scherff