2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 hour ago, mrscottso said:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this question. Has anyone heard anything about Ford or Jalen Hurd's recovery?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/john-lynch-dee-ford-not-guaranteed-to-be-ready-for-start-of-next-season/ 

It isn’t looking good for Dee. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he retired. I haven’t heard anything about Hurd to this point, but he tore his ACL early in camp so I imagine he’ll be ready to go tear something else come TC this year.

I would be furious if we gave up a 2 for Darnold. I understand trying to resurrect a high pick like him, but he has not shown me enough to think he is worth a 2nd at this point. I don't think I'd go any higher than a 5th or a future 4th.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/john-lynch-dee-ford-not-guaranteed-to-be-ready-for-start-of-next-season/ 

It isn’t looking good for Dee. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he retired. I haven’t heard anything about Hurd to this point, but he tore his ACL early in camp so I imagine he’ll be ready to go tear something else come TC this year.

No way he's retiring. Over 11 million fully guaranteed due to that injury, which by default makes the entire salary guaranteed because it'll cost more to cut him than keep him. He's giving that up by retiring. Think that's a non starter. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I would be furious if we gave up a 2 for Darnold. I understand trying to resurrect a high pick like him, but he has not shown me enough to think he is worth a 2nd at this point. I don't think I'd go any higher than a 5th or a future 4th.  

I'm okay if its next year's second. Hell, I'm okay if its a conditional next year that could be as high as a first (depending on team / player performance). But I'm not keeping them both. We can't commit that type of money to two QBs who are just huge question marks. That's like 32 million or whatever. So if  the move was to acquire Darnold, you just jettison Jimmy and hope for the best with Darnold. Personally, I don't understand that Darnold thing in terms of quality of player. I get the cost effectiveness portion of it compared to Jimmy, but Darnold as a player is basically a hope and a prayer at this point. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, he will probably get the GM position next year and Lynch gets his own promotion. Should have been done this year to be honest. 

I find it interesting that the beat writers have continually hedged away from that. Always made a certain degree of sense to me provided that he and Shanny are on the same page. 

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

No way he's retiring. Over 11 million fully guaranteed due to that injury, which by default makes the entire salary guaranteed because it'll cost more to cut him than keep him. He's giving that up by retiring. Think that's a non starter. 

I assumed since it was guaranteed he’d just have to hit his date, fail his physical, then he could retire and collect. I’m assuming you are referring to the additional non-guaranteed money he would collect. Based on my minimal knowledge about how these contracts work, that would be around 5.7 mil right?

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

Personally, I don't understand that Darnold thing in terms of quality of player. I get the cost effectiveness portion of it compared to Jimmy, but Darnold as a player is basically a hope and a prayer at this point. 

I don’t get it either. Darnold looks broken. Can he turn it around? Sure. I’m not willing to bet a premium pick on it though. This also doesn’t fall under a ‘clear upgrade’ over Jimmy G, so I don’t think we’d make the move. Crazier things have happened I suppose. 

On a side note I remember someone mentioning how Shanny likes QBs that come from a pro style offense in college: does anyone else think that this would boost Lance’s stock in Shanny’s mind? 

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I assumed since it was guaranteed he’d just have to hit his date, fail his physical, then he could retire and collect. I’m assuming you are referring to the additional non-guaranteed money he would collect. Based on my minimal knowledge about how these contracts work, that would be around 5.7 mil right?

I'm looking to get confirmation, but I'm pretty sure that if he voluntarily retires, he'll even give up that injury guarantee. That's why a guy like Ryan Shazier didn't retire until years after his injury despite everyone knowing he couldn't play again (his future year was guaranteed for injury). I'm trying to get confirmation on that, as it could be contract by contract

Just now, Forge said:

I'm looking to get confirmation, but I'm pretty sure that if he voluntarily retires, he'll even give up that injury guarantee. That's why a guy like Ryan Shazier didn't retire until years after his injury despite everyone knowing he couldn't play again (his future year was guaranteed for injury). I'm trying to get confirmation on that, as it could be contract by contract

That's interesting. If that is the case, then I'm sure you're right and he wouldn't retire. I don't know much about contract law, my specialty is in a different field.
giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I bet you that Eddie D would have found a way to have Dee retire, then hire him as a special assistant to Kocerek and pay him 11+ million 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, N4L said:

I bet you that Eddie D would have found a way to have Dee retire, then hire him as a special assistant to Kocerek and pay him 11+ million 

Dee would have had a nice, comfy job that paid him extremely well if he retired under Eddie, I have no doubt about that