2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

I bet you that Eddie D would have found a way to have Dee retire, then hire him as a special assistant to Kocerek and pay him 11+ million 

It sounds like Jed has been taking care of his guys too based on what players and coaches were saying when we had to ship off to Arizona. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Looks like DeSean Jackson will be released. I’d definitely be interested if he was interested in coming back to the bay on the cheap.

I'll pass. 34 years old, has never been able to stay healthy and I wouldn't expect him to start now, and I wouldn't expect this team to be able to take advantage of the one quality trait he has left in the clip. 

• Like 3

On 2/18/2021 at 4:04 PM, Forge said:

Not like it matters if the Texans continue to refuse to trade him lol

That works in our favour, I think. If they hold out on trading him, other teams will look at other avenues. The Jets will either go back with Darnold or more likely draft a QB and trade Darnold. Most teams that aren't happy with their QB situations won't have any other choice but try to fix it. We won't be doing that. If the Texans aren't trading him now, we have Jimmy. If they want to trade him after the draft, we have some leverage with teams who still haven't figured out their situations, or with the texans themselves, to trade Jimmy. And if all teams are set at QB and no one wants to trade for Jimmy, yet the texans are willing to trade us Watson, we can easily just release Jimmy. So the longer the Texans don't trade him, the better our chances, in my opinion. Although other teams with stopgap options wouldn't have too much trouble.

But ultimately, Watson's NTC is what will decide where he goes. 

20 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I like Twitter for limiting me to 280 characters, but 49ers Twitter is a joyless hellscape of giant egos and wrong opinions. 

On twitter, I mostly just respond to the beat writers, rarely to the subtweets themselves. I occasionally get sucked into replying to Grant Cohn's stupidity...

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll pass. 34 years old, has never been able to stay healthy and I wouldn't expect him to start now, and I wouldn't expect this team to be able to take advantage of the one quality trait he has left in the clip. 

Obviously it wouldn’t be a long term solution, but we haven’t had someone who would take the top off the defense since Goodwin was playing and wasn’t checked out. I think Aiyuk could be that deep threat if we’d let him, but even then he doesn’t have the long speed of Jackson, even at 34. It’d have to be a cheap short term deal for me to be interested, but I think he’d definitely be a better option than Travis Benjamin, who I believe what the FO was going to be the replacement for Goodwin. 

p.s. Full disclosure I’m still super butthurt that we passed on him back in the day. He was one of those players that it was painfully obvious was going to be successful in my mind.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

No way he's retiring. Over 11 million fully guaranteed due to that injury, which by default makes the entire salary guaranteed because it'll cost more to cut him than keep him. He's giving that up by retiring. Think that's a non starter. 

What if he retires after april 1st?

Just now, rudyZ said:

What if he retires after april 1st?

Then he'd still be voluntarily giving up the money as far as I know. Retirement is voluntary regardless of whether or not it's caused by injury. I haven't gotten confirmation on it, but that is the way I have always understood it to be. 

24 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Obviously it wouldn’t be a long term solution, but we haven’t had someone who would take the top off the defense since Goodwin was playing and wasn’t checked out. I think Aiyuk could be that deep threat if we’d let him, but even then he doesn’t have the long speed of Jackson, even at 34. It’d have to be a cheap short term deal for me to be interested, but I think he’d definitely be a better option than Travis Benjamin, who I believe what the FO was going to be the replacement for Goodwin. 

p.s. Full disclosure I’m still super butthurt that we passed on him back in the day. He was one of those players that it was painfully obvious was going to be successful in my mind.

Honestly, we do. We just don't use him. That should very much be a Richie James role (I'd get creative with it too and have him run wheel routes out of the backfield). I think Aiyuk can run those 9 routes with a lot of success as well if we utilized it more. Until we have a guy back there that will actually consistently throw those balls it won't matter regardless. But I'd much rather just throw a dart at the board of a 6th or 7th round receiver who has a 4.3 speed and see what shakes out. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't know why this is making me laugh so hard

It worked for James Harden, may work for Watson as well lol. 

I'd wager to guess if he isn't traded by then, he just sits out the entire season or until they do move him. 

But there is no way the Texans pass up on the #2 pick and the package the Jets can offer for Watson. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It worked for James Harden, may work for Watson as well lol. 

I'd wager to guess if he isn't traded by then, he just sits out the entire season or until they do move him. 

But there is no way the Texans pass up on the #2 pick and the package the Jets can offer for Watson. 

I think Carolina gets him. I just think they are going to go hard there

• Like 1