GM discussion: Are you happy with your teams current GM?

JAF-N72EX

Andrew Berry is off to a good start.

Jedrick Wills was a fantastic pick. Jack Conklin is the best free agency signing we’ve ever made as a franchise. Extending Kareem was incredibly smart. He needs to extend Rashard Higgins and I’d give him an A- thus far.

His only fault is the defense, but he can fix that in the offseason.

Absolutely endorse Rick Speilman.

He was a fantastic drafter for most of the 2010’s, tapering off at the end. But 2020, he drafted JJefferson. And I buy into his philosophy of quantity > quality when it comes to  day 2-3 draft picks.

I can also buy into his philosophy of keeping the core of the roster together, even if it means keeping tier 3 players over taking a chance on a tier 2 FA.

Minnesota is transitioning into a new era though, which will be Rick’s second era. We will have to see how he rebuilds the team this time.

Edited by Duluther

On 12/7/2020 at 12:00 AM, jrry32 said:

Hell yes. People have given our GM a hard time for being so willing to trade away first round picks, but I love the boldness and aggressiveness. He doesn't always get it right, but Les Snead is significantly better than average when it comes to player evaluations. A lot of people threw in the towel on the Rams after we let go/dumped quite a few well known players this off-season, but as one of the youngest teams in the league, we're leading the NFCW. You can argue with the Cooks and Watkins trades (I am good with both in retrospect), but the Ramsey trade has been a homerun thus far.

Just to demonstrate how good Snead is when it comes to player evaluations, here are a good number of the starters on our first place team:

WR Cooper Kupp (3rd round pick)

WR Robert Woods (Relative bargain in FA)

TE Tyler Higbee (4th round pick)

LG David Edwards (5th round pick)

C Austin Blythe (Waivers)

RG Austin Corbett (traded a 5th round pick)

NT Sebastian Joseph-Day (6th round pick)

OLB Justin Hollins (Waivers)

ILB Micah Kiser (5th round pick)

CB Darious Williams (Waivers)

CB Troy Hill (Waivers)

FS John Johnson III (3rd round pick)

SS Jordan Fuller (6th round pick)

The secondary that has been arguably the NFL's best this year is comprised of Jalen Ramsey, some waiver signings, and a couple mid to late round picks. Our interior OL, which is one of the better in the NFL, is comprised of a waiver signing, a late round pick, and a guy dumped for a late round pick. My hat is off to Snead. He manages to keep finding players despite the fact that we keep trading premium picks.

What are his cons? He has given out some contracts to young players that ended up being mistakes (Cooks and Gurley). 

Don't forget Terrell Lewis. He is a good talent evaluator. Better to swing for the fences and miss than to be overly conservative.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Duluther said:

Absolutely endorse Rick Speilman.

He was a fantastic drafter for most of the 2010’s, tapering off at the end. But 2020, he drafted JJefferson. And I buy into his philosophy of quantity > quality when it comes to  day 2-3 draft picks.

I can also buy into his philosophy of keeping the core of the roster together, even if it means keeping tier 3 players over taking a chance on a tier 2 FA.

Minnesota is transitioning into a new era though, which will be Rick’s second era. We will have to see how he rebuilds the team this time.

I’d really say it’s his third era, if you count his time with Leslie Frazier. Seems he had a lesser role when Childress was the HC but when Frazier was hired, it felt that Spielman had a ton more pull on FO decisions that eventually got him elevated to the created GM position.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:30 AM, Starless said:

It's Belichick. 

Having Belichick as your GM is like having parents who do all their grocery shopping at Aldi, but are also somehow world-class chefs. They rarely buy you the stuff you're hoping for, but the older you get, the more you appreciate their cooking. 

Until Aldis stop selling his key ingredient... then it just tastes bland.