Kyle Smith

lavar703

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s an important question that I know we will be asking a lot in February and early March. 

I honestly can’t answer it at the moment because I haven’t watched nearly enough of Surtain or Farley to get a sense of how good I think they are.

I do know that I generally hate drafting CBs high or paying big money for them. They’re just so unpredictable from year to year, and (to me at least) all but the truest superstars are really dependent on everyone around them to be successful. So in a perfect world, instead of investing heavily in a potential star CB, I’d rather have a stable of solid CBs and use my resources to build up the players they lean on — specifically great pass rush and reliable safety play — to make their job as easy as possible. 

Darby scares me because of the injury history. He’s played pretty well this season, and I believe he’ll continue to play at that level — if he’s healthy. And that’s a big risk. But overall, I think it’s a gamble whichever choice we make, so without having seen the top draft prospects enough to really judge me, my lean is to try to get Darby back on a manageable but healthy raise. 

Farley is a beast. Great size and speed for the position. Pretty dominant player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Farley is a beast. Great size and speed for the position. Pretty dominant player. 

Yes, but based on where they are currently ranked, that would mean reaching to fill a position over taking a better player.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Yes, but based on where they are currently ranked, that would mean reaching to fill a position over taking a better player.

Drafttek has Farley going 4th overall to Dallas, things can obviously change between now and April but, he may be out of our range.

Marty Hurney just got fired. Here comes the first big test of Rivera’s devotion to his fellow Carolina cast-offs. 

Or maybe it’s the second, if you consider the first one to be the OC decision. Returns don’t look spectacular on that one so far. 

Also saw a post (from JLC, so get out the Morton’s) indicating that the team plans to bring in Rick Smith for another meeting about running football operations. 

...this is not promising stuff. 

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Marty Hurney just got fired. Here comes the first big test of Rivera’s devotion to his fellow Carolina cast-offs. 

Or maybe it’s the second, if you consider the first one to be the OC decision. Returns don’t look spectacular on that one so far. 

Also saw a post (from JLC, so get out the Morton’s) indicating that the team plans to bring in Rick Smith for another meeting about running football operations. 

It didnt take long- https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2923404-marty-hurney-fired-as-panthers-gm-amid-4-10-season-search-for-new-gm-begins?share=sms

Never has a team ever gotten in the way of their success more than us, and that includes the New York Knicks.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Ugh! They need to just promote Kyle!! 

I didn’t realize this:

Marty Hurney is an American football executive who is the general manager of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League. He also served as an assistant general manager under Bobby Beathard for the San Diego Chargers in the 1990s. Wikipedia

He’s also from Wheaton Maryland, didn’t know that. I used to live near there when I lived in Silver Spring with my ex.

Edited by turtle28

55 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I get having friends but can I just put this out there because while it might sound crazy I just don’t understand why if you lost your job somewhere else and someone was apart of it why would you bring that person to your new job to replace the guy who has built a younger brighter roster then the one you just lost your job with? Idk I get the Carolina connection but if I’m Ron while I’m sure he’s praying for all the things he has to be greatful for especially this year I can’t see Kyle Smith not being apart of something to be thankful for. Look at draft classes one great class can really define a roster 4 5 years later. This guy has literally had these drafts I believe 3 years in a row. I’m not giving that up for the guys that were drafting the players the Panthers were drafting in recent years before this last Rhule class. 

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

I get having friends but can I just put this out there because while it might sound crazy I just don’t understand why if you lost your job somewhere else and someone was apart of it why would you bring that person to your new job to replace the guy who has built a younger brighter roster then the one you just lost your job with? Idk I get the Carolina connection but if I’m Ron while I’m sure he’s praying for all the things he has to be greatful for especially this year I can’t see Kyle Smith not being apart of something to be thankful for. Look at draft classes one great class can really define a roster 4 5 years later. This guy has literally had these drafts I believe 3 years in a row. I’m not giving that up for the guys that were drafting the players the Panthers were drafting in recent years before this last Rhule class. 

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sigh. Why can’t they just ever do the right thing? We’re going to mess this up. 

I don’t think they will mess this up!!! Can we maybe just on this issue just actually not talk what we don’t want into existence and maybe say so far it hasn’t been all bad under Ron and give him the chance to make it right. And then if he doesn’t then we revolt 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I will be very disappointed.

Someone with some social media pull needs to start the #makekylesmithgm hashtag.