Fork the Class of 2004

Hunter2_1

Which QB from the 2004 draft class are done?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Can you fork any of them?

• Eli Manning
    • Ben Roethlisberger
    • Philip Rivers
    • None

11 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

To be clear; which of these QBs would you say are completely done, and should make this their last season? Either because they no longer have traits that made them good, or that they have become a detriment to the team, or both. 

Matt Schaub and JP Losman were forked a while ago.

I really don't think that Rivers is done. He's had one atrocious game this year, but otherwise I don't think that he's looked particularly bad. He's still a guy playing a level within the top half of the starting quarterbacks. Yes, he's prone to some colossal turnovers, but hasn't that always been him? Or at least for about the past 8 or 9 years. 

I mean, Eli and Ben...I don't know. Ben seems to be the closest to falling off a cliff so to speak, but it's been a relatively small sample size. Eli still puts together a game here or there, so I think that he's still capable, though I don't know how "good" he is. Right now, I'm going to say it's slightly too early to call any of them done for sure. 

2 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

I totally read the title a different way...

I wouldn't say they are "done" though. Eli's always been mediocre. Ben's dealing with a different style of offense right now. No idea why they aren't more vertical based. Rivers has been fine.

Different style of offense or not, he's still putting balls in the "vicinity" currently. Overthrows, underthrows, throws that miss wide etc. He cost Brown a TD Sunday with an under throw. He's never been as inaccurate. Not a good sign.

The only one I'd say is done is Ben. Rivers needs to go to a new team that's ready to compete now. He and the Chargers are a failing marriage at this point, but his talent and level of play is still at a very high level. The Giants need to properly protect Eli, but this season is lost. Eli still has a couple more seasons, the only question is will they be able to rebuild around him in time? Getting rid of McAdoodoo would help a lot.

5 hours ago, tom cody said:

I think Eli and Rivers are done. Think Big Ben still got some time left.

Really curious on this one since Ben looks the worst quite frankly. You can debate how much Eli has regressed given the state of that team and how good he ever actually was. Rivers has regressed some the last two years, but what he's doing isn't significantly below what he has done in the past at various points - these aren't crazy bad outliers on him.

IMO, none should be the answer. All are quite capable NFL QB's still and it really comes down to how much talent they have around them. Non are in anywhere near their prime, but they all may have one last great season in them given the right circumstances. I doubt any of their teams jump ship just yet, unless by luck, they end up with the #1 or #2 overall pick in the draft.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:33 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

To be clear; which of these QBs would you say are completely done, and should make this their last season? Either because they no longer have traits that made them good, or that they have become a detriment to the team, or both. 

Big Ben will likely retire first, due to the additional punishment he's received over the career. BR has absorbed a staggering 465 sacks, roughly a hundred more than Rivers, and 124 more than Eli Manning. He's even been sacked 32 more times than Tom Brady, who entered the NFL a few seasons earlier. The combination of holding the ball longer, absorbing sack attempts, and coming back too soon after injury will age a QB. I could see Rivers playing longer of the three, since he's never reached a Super Bowl. I doubt it will be in a Chargers uniform, though. 

On 11 October 2017 at 9:42 PM, Forge said:

Really curious on this one since Ben looks the worst quite frankly. You can debate how much Eli has regressed given the state of that team and how good he ever actually was. Rivers has regressed some the last two years, but what he's doing isn't significantly below what he has done in the past at various points - these aren't crazy bad outliers on him.

Agree. For as we have played this year Eli is much much better than last year. 

Rivers I dunno TBH. He didn't look good last week. 

Ben I haven't really watched this year TBH.

I always love the kneejerks and overreactions on here.  

Dont get me wrong....all 3 of these guys are getting near the end, and yes, its possible that one, two or all of them are, how you say..."done".   But no one was really saying these guys were "done" before the season.    Hell, no one was saying Ben was done until the past game....yes he was struggling before that, but people werent chanting that he should retire prior to last Sunday.

Eli....I mean, he has always been pretty  inconsistent, and now his WR corps is destroyed and his OLine is a joke.     Ive never been a huge Eli fan, but he is far from the biggest issue with that team.   Just looks like the same inconsistent Eli with less help on offense.

Rivers....he may not be at the same level he once was, but he is still capable of being a top 7-10 QB.    The KC game was the only game he looked notably bad in....but its that KC defense.

Ben has definitely struggled this year, but I can tell alot of people claiming he is done dont actually watch him.      None of his issues appear to be physical.   He still moves well and can sling the ball.....most of it appears to be mental.    Now, does that mean he isnt having some physical issues?  No.   Does that mean he will get over the mental issues?   No....but holy hell...its 5 games.    Its definitely time for the Steelers to start looking to life after him, but done?   Really?

People dont learn, apparently.    At least wait until the end of the season before you start writing these guys off.

Archived