GDT: Detroit Lions @ Tennessee Titans

ttitansfan4life

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

If we let Corey go, we are either forced to spend serious FA money or serious draft capital on a receiver, which to me seems silly if we can just retain a good receiver that is already familiar with the system and fits perfectly.

This offense takes a real hit with only one viable receiver. Makes it so much harder to punish teams for playing the run.

yeah, i don't think corey is superfluous in this offense at all. it's not a coincidence that corey and AJ seem to alternate week by week in terms of who goes off. not being able to shut both of them down at once is a big, big deal for our passing game.

• Like 1

We averaged 35.3 ppg when AJ Brown was out and it was just Corey Davis, so the idea both of them are needed to make the offense go isn't really supported by much.

WRs get schemed open in this offense. The only player who commonly makes plays for himself is AJ Brown, and that's not generally with his route running but what he does after the catch.

Corey Davis is a good player. He's not a #1 or some top talent that demands a lot of money.

If he's asking for #1 receiver money, he can walk as far as I'm concerned.

Fixing the defense is whats important. That's where money needs to be spent. As long as Tannehill is playing at this level and we're scheming the way we are, we don't need to invest 13+ million a year in a #2 receiver. A nice luxury for sure, but we don 't have the money for that kind of luxury right now with the sad, SAD state of our defense.

And the idea to cut Butler, the damn near lone shining star on said defense to pay for this guy is just nuts to me.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

We averaged 35.3 ppg when AJ Brown was out and it was just Corey Davis, so the idea both of them are needed to make the offense go isn't really supported by much.

WRs get schemed open in this offense. The only player who commonly makes plays for himself is AJ Brown, and that's not generally with his route running but what he does after the catch.

Corey Davis is a good player. He's not a #1 or some top talent that demands a lot of money.

Fixing the defense is whats important. That's where money needs to be spent. As long as Tannehill is playing at this level and we're scheming the way we are, we don't need to invest 13+ million a year in a #2 receiver. A nice luxury for sure, but we don 't have the money for that kind of luxury right now with the sad, SAD state of our defense.

And the idea to cut Butler, the damn near lone shining star on said defense to pay for this guy is just nuts to me.

This is going to drift back to the shiny hood ornament argument isn’t it?

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

This is going to drift back to the shiny hood ornament argument isn’t it?

Nah. It's just looking at what our offense does even when missing players like AJ Brown and Corey Davis and realizing we don't need both, not when our defense is out here constantly giving up 3rd and 13s.

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Nah. It's just looking at what our offense does even when missing players like AJ Brown and Corey Davis and realizing we don't need both, not when our defense is out here constantly giving up 3rd and 13s.

Are we letting Jonnu walk too in this situation? Because if I can’t justify $10-13 million on a 1,000 yard receiver, it’s going to be really hard for me to justify $8-12 million on a TE that might break 500 yards. All so we can shoot a second shot on spending $20 million on free agent edge rushers.

I legit get the argument for it. It’s just so unappealing to me to finally have a great offense only to let big pieces of it walk.

I’m also still of the opinion that when an entire group underperforms expectations as individuals the way our defense has, throwing money at personnel isn’t going to fix everything. Obviously the edge needs addressing, but the most important acquisition we can make on that side of the ball this offseason is a competent coordinator.

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Are we letting Jonnu walk too in this situation? Because if I can’t justify $10-13 million on a 1,000 yard receiver, it’s going to be really hard for me to justify $8-12 million on a TE that might break 500 yards. All so we can shoot a second shot on spending $20 million on free agent edge rushers.

I legit get the argument for it. It’s just so unappealing to me to finally have a great offense only to let big pieces of it walk.

I’m also still of the opinion that when an entire group underperforms expectations as individuals the way our defense has, throwing money at personnel isn’t going to fix everything. Obviously the edge needs addressing, but the most important acquisition we can make on that side of the ball this offseason is a competent coordinator.

It's difficult to get in to exact numbers I guess seeing as the cap number is gonna be unknown and how that'll effect contracts, but competent pass rushers are extremely expensive and we need two. Landry isn't good enough and lord knows the garbage we roll out across from him isn't either. Getting Simmons some help on the d-line wouldn't hurt either.

But no, Jonnu Smith isn't a must either. We've turned him in to a glorified blocker basically and still the offense hums like nothing changed.

How quickly we forget these are the same weapons we had when we started 2-4 with one of if not the worst offense in the league just last year.

As long as Tannehill is playing at an elite level, he doesn't need 4 different high end weapons or whatever. He's already proven that in multiple games.

Someone posted above how many good FA WRs are gonna be available. Can get one of those if Davis prices himself out.

It proves itself time and time again that defense is still what wins championships in this league. There's obviously going to be the occasional exception, but by and large, if your defense sucks, you win nothing.

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

How isn’t Corey Davis not a #1 🤔 on talent he can be a #1 the guy just simply need targets, & we scheme guys open to a certain extent Art hasn’t mastered that yet, like a Reid, Shanahan or McVay but you’re forgetting it’s a great chance Art is gone next season. 

If we can bring Davis back for 10-12/year, I would do that and cut Hump 10 times outta 10. Not saying Hump is bad, but he just hasn't been healthy often enough. And Davis can do so much more that I would call the extra couple mil a wash and a worthwhile investment.

I love Jonnu, but with Pruitt, Firkser, and Swain I would probably let him walk and invest that money on defense.

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Want to win this game so bad because it’s on SNF

Not many people will pick us to win 

Titans need to find a way to get up early and try and run Henry 

I think we have a way better chance than people may think. Packers really have only beat one good team this year. Their d is not best. Look at what the Vikings did in Lambeau, run the ball and keep Rodgers off the field. I think we can replicate that. I think we will know real early how the game will go though. We cannot get off to a bad start. I am really interested to see who shadows Adams. So excited to see how we show up under the lights in a high pressure game against one of the best qbs.