2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

21 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

@Jeremy408 speaking facts. Lots of our drafts we let go for nothing after declaring them busts are flourishing and getting paid.

Thats the main thing that I fault them for was sticking with Gunther for so long in a faulty scheme. But I think they've answered for that by going with Gus Bradley who has a proven track record with a defense that works and has worked in different places throughout the league. 

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sad to see agholor go but 13 mil was too much. Sign a cheaper vet like TY, Jones, or Green and then roll with the youth.

Patriots just paying everybody this offseason.  Crazy what losing is doing to Belichik.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

And I'm fine with Sherman or Hayward if we can't get a younger guy like Hilton, Poole, or WJ3.

Quinton Dunbar seems like a perfect option. He fits Bradley's scheme to a tee, he's only 28 years old, and he's likely going to be one of the guys that seeks a 1 year deal so he can cash in big next offseason if he plays well. 

Adding Dunbar and a guy like Tre Boston would give us a ton of flexibility with how we approach the draft. 

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I like most of their signings. Sometimes you have to pay the $$$ to get things done.

I'm personally not a huge fan of what they've done so far. $136M for Henry, Jonnu, Agholor, and Bourne is a lot of money. None of those guys have every proven to be true #1 guys and played with better QB's. 

5 minutes ago, Geezy said:

thats the thing. Good teams have the structure/scheme/culture in place to identify what they are specifically lacking and target that, usually at bargains. While bad teams have constant turnover and are letting guys go who have yet reached their full potential because of a new regime. Good teams can afford for guys like Ward and Hall to develop behind steady vets until they are ready and can let go of the expensive vet when the young guys are ready. Bad teams are too busy chasing their own tail, to see that good teams clean up on their bad decisions. This is the benefit of having Gruden on a 10 year contract, the issue now is he the right guy to have in place. 

This is very key. 90% of raider fans don't understand that. But again, when you have one playoff appearance in 20 years everything is questioned.

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I have no doubt that Sherman and Peterson can make the transition but I feel like we need to take a break from the experimentation for a while.

Especially since everyone has emphasized how Bradley's scheme requires a FS with range that can play single high. Seems a little risky to bring in an older guy that has never played the position.

20 minutes ago, Geezy said:

thats the thing. Good teams have the structure/scheme/culture in place to identify what they are specifically lacking and target that, usually at bargains. While bad teams have constant turnover and are letting guys go who have yet reached their full potential because of a new regime. Good teams can afford for guys like Ward and Hall to develop behind steady vets until they are ready and can let go of the expensive vet when the young guys are ready. Bad teams are too busy chasing their own tail, to see that good teams clean up on their bad decisions. This is the benefit of having Gruden on a 10 year contract, the issue now is he the right guy to have in place. 

Been saying this.  Guys like Crosby, Renfrow, Moreau, Mullen, etc., are all guys we need to hold onto for 10 years.  They may not be superstars, but role players matter.  We need to continue to draft well and hold onto the same players long term.  Sign a couple FAs here and there that can help improve the team.  Skim the fat (players like T. Brown and E. Vanderdoes).  Constant turnover is what kills a lot of teams.  We can't afford to have that anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, Jerry said:

Been saying this.  Guys like Crosby, Renfrow, Moreau, Mullen, etc., are all guys we need to hold onto for 10 years.  They may not be superstars, but role players matter.  We need to continue to draft well and hold onto the same players long term.  

I agree, 100%. That was Reggie McKenzie's biggest downfall as our GM, he failed to find value in the middle rounds. If you can find solid staters that fit your scheme later in the draft you can afford to pay to keep your better players and make a couple of splash signings in free agency to put the team over the top. 

• Like 1