2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

I expected nothing but overpays today, but I really liked our action. Get a big name on a reasonable contract that looks like it will keep the player motivated. Would like to see FS Hooker tomorrow at 1 year 3 mil or less just so we can let the draft come to us and have flexibility because without a vet #17 will look like our CB need last year. I'd still take LB Parson's over that need. LOL 

1 minute ago, G said:

I expected nothing but overpays today, but I really liked our action. Get a big name on a reasonable contract that looks like it will keep the player motivated. Would like to see FS Hooker tomorrow at 1 year 3 mil or less just so we can let the draft come to us and have flexibility because without a vet #17 will look like our CB need last year. I'd still take LB Parson's over that need. LOL 

I've been liking Horn at 17 overall if he falls there.  Good value at an impact position.  We do not have a #1 CB and Horn can be that if he checks out.  Physically he has the skills. 

28 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t know how Jamie Newman has fallen from a 1st round pick (well he all know he was NEVER a preseason 1st round pick.... just like Jevon Snead was never ever going to be #1 overall or Shea Patterson was a 1st rounder .... to now being ranked as a 5th or 6th rounder.  I’d seriously seriously consider drafting Newman to develop into the role that We all WANTED Mariota to play.

I am 100% into the idea of investing a mid round pick in him. He's big, athletic, mobile and has a big arm. I'm not sure if he would've been a 1st round pick but had he played at a high level for Georgia this season I think he would've really improved his draft stock. 

Matt Miller had him mocked at #29 in his way too early mock draft heading into the season. IIRC Mac Jones wasn't even considered a first round prospect coming into the year and may go top 10 now. Joe Burrow was a mid-round prospect headed into his final season at LSU. So who knows where he'd be ranked had he put up big numbers against SEC talent. 

I'm not comparing him to Dak but I think he has the tools to be a good starter just like Dak did coming into the league. I think he'll need at least a year to clean somethings up but he could potentially offer a cheap replacement for Carr if he pans out.

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I've been liking Horn at 17 overall if he falls there.  Good value at an impact position.  We do not have a #1 CB and Horn can be that if he checks out.  Physically he has the skills. 

I don't think we need a #1 CB but actually looked into him this weekend and really like the aggressive play out of Horn. I wouldn't be against that if we get  DT and FS before the draft. Would add a DT or FS in the 2nd and or 3rd rounds too. 

I wouldn't be completely against going Secondary with our first, but man have we ever sunk a lot of resources into it over the years. Paid Joyner a ton, drafted Mullen, Arnette, Abram, Robertson, Conley, Melifonwu, etc. I get PTSD that we draft secondary guys but can't develop.

I kindof want to see what the guys we have can do with proper NFL coaching. I realize FS is a huge need so that position I'd be cool with, but I am leaning towards a DT more than anything at 17.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Raiders were in on Mike Davis before he went back to the Chargers. I wonder if they would be interested in William Jackson. Long CB who could play outside with Mullen. 

Quinton Dunbar is a cheap option that will likely sign a 1 year deal so he can get a nice payday if he. plays well. We've seen him play at a borderline All-Pro level in 2019 for WFT. He was banged up and never really found his stride in Seattle. He could be a legit high level starting CB for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I wouldn't be completely against going Secondary with our first, but man have we ever sunk a lot of resources into it over the years. Paid Joyner a ton, drafted Mullen, Arnette, Abram, Robertson, Conley, Melifonwu, etc. I get PTSD that we draft secondary guys but can't develop.

I kindof want to see what the guys we have can do with proper NFL coaching. I realize FS is a huge need so that position I'd be cool with, but I am leaning towards a DT more than anything at 17.

I can see OT, Moehrig, or JOK after these picks on defense. No IDL worth the pick for me IMO.

• Like 1

Day 2 preferences:

Cuts: Mariota, Nassib, Heath, Richard. 25 mil freed up + 21 available = 46 mil cap space. 

Signings: WR JuJu Smith Schuster 5 year/75 mil,  FS Anthony Harris 3 year/27 mil.. Leaves 22 mil for OT/OG/DT/LB/CB/RB positions of need + a potential Carr extension could free up more money if agreed upon. 

If I’m going after 2-3 top free agents with the 22 mil cap space left, I’d probably go with CB William Jackson on a 3 year/45 mil deal and LB KJ Wright for 3 year/21 mil due to the Bradley connection as he gets his captain on D.. Draft in this scenario focuses on day 1 starters at RT and OG, NT with later round depth at RB and DE. 

If I had to go value and quantity over quantity with remaining 22 mil cap space, I would sign RT Kelvin Beachum 2 year/8 mil, Kyle Long 1 year/4 mil, DT DaQuan Jones 2 year/12 mil, LB Nick Morrow 4 year/20 mil, RB Mike Davis 2 year/6 mil. Draft can focus on BPA and long term replacements at RT, OG, DT and more depth at DE and CB. 

Edited by JarrodR86

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Agreed. I know they need more time to develop, but I'm not optimistic on Mullen or especially Arnette.

Edge and CB are two spots that I don't mind you keeping throwing darts at until something sticks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Zach Banner could be a solid RT signing. a mountain of a man at 6'8 340, a fit in our power blocking scheme. Lincoln Kennedys son

Yeah.... about that... Lincoln Kennedy’s “biological son”.... LK kinda split with his mom as a baby and wasn’t part of his life..... at all.  In fact he didn’t even know until he was in HS (I believe) and he just happened to find his birth certificate that Banner wasn’t his biological father.

The story is kinda sad.... if you ask me.... but it would be funny if Ron Banner was a 5’11 185 man.

22 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Agreed. I know they need more time to develop, but I'm not optimistic on Mullen or especially Arnette.

Edge and CB are two spots that I don't mind you keeping throwing darts at until something sticks.

I was listening to a Raiders podcast with a mock draft and the guest who was going over his mock draft was saying that this year will likely have a lot of teams trying to trade down... due to not being 100% sold on prospects due to the lack of a combine and changes to the scouting process.  All of this means trading up will be cheaper then ever.  Im Personally hoping we trade down but If a Player like Surtain or Farley slide a bit and can be traded up for at a low price it’d be worth considering.

What are the changes Geno Atkins gets cut from Cincinnati?

he has a 14.7M cap hit and saves 9.5M if cut.  He fell out of favor with the coaching staff early on and only played in 8 games with 0 starts and only played 119 snaps in the weeks 5-8 and 10-14 games before going on IR.

He is turning 33 within a months time but he could be a cheap 1-2 year stop gap 3T for us.  We’re not going to be able to fill every hole on the roster with young blood .... or a veteran AND a heir apparent draft pick.... so going with a healthy Atkins at DT is a option.

9 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:
9 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

16.5M/Y for Dupree.

But the only thing the Raiders know how to do is overpay. that’s the only way they’ll get a good player

Wow, we got a very good deal with Ngakoue in comparison to that. Kudos to the Front Office.