2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Also looking at the DT's on the roster they all have one thing in common aside from Hankins. They all under 300 pounds. Gus has a preference and its very noticeable 

We need a well rounded DT in the draft that can play vs the run and rush the passer to complement all these tweeners.

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

If we don’t find a competent FS and Joyner goes to the Kets and balls I’m a f’n lose it 

Like I’ve said the main thing I blame Gruden for was hiring Paul Gunther and sticking with him for so long. This is one of the many moves that were made to invest in his defense

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We need a well rounded DT in the draft that can play vs the run and rush the passer to complement all these tweeners.

Hate to say zero chance, but im willing to bet anything that DT wont be picked within the first 3 rounds. Feel extremely confident in that actually. 

• Like 2

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

That will be a yikes then. Besides OL and safety what do you think we take?

It's just my opinion and could be wrong. They got Jefferson who I think would be the favorite to start and Hurst to back him up with Irving getting time in there as well. I dont see the room there for another guy. 

Gus Bradley drafted Tillery in 2019 and signed Jackson to a big contract when he was with the Jags, but to me those are outliers in a situation that shows us that he doesn't invest highly at the DT position.

Who they would pick beats me man. I have my favorites so I would just say those guys lol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

It's just my opinion and could be wrong. They got Jefferson who I think would be the favorite to start and Hurst to back him up with Irving getting time in there as well. I dont see the room there for another guy. 

Gus Bradley drafted Tillery in 2019 and signed Jackson to a big contract when he was with the Jags, but to me those are outliers in a situation that shows us that he doesn't invest highly at the DT position.

Who they would pick beats me man. I have my favorites so I would just say those guys lol 

Listen if we get my guys I’m not complaining either.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Geezy said:

If we don’t find a competent FS and Joyner goes to the Jets and balls I’m a f’n lose it 

We all knew Joyner could play S.  What we did not know is why our team refused to try him there.  We could have put Johnson on the outside , Arnette in the slot, and Joyner at FS.  Seems logical and all 3 have played at a high level in those positions in college or the pros.  Instead we keep Joyner in the slot where he was below average to bad, Arnette on the outside where he was outclassed as a rookie, and Johnson at FS where he had no clue what he was doing.  We played Carr instead of Mariota because we really wanted to win but decided to keep the experiment, that clearly was not working, going on defense.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Problem we have is that our best 3T provided as much pressure up the middle as or NT.  We have spent nothing to increase interior pressure.  Even if we draft an early DT most likely they will not provide much in the first year or 2 based on history.  Every year we have to have a hole on the team that everyone knows about except the coaches and FO.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Hate to say zero chance, but im willing to bet anything that DT wont be picked within the first 3 rounds. Feel extremely confident in that actually. 

I really hope that isn't the case. I can see a situation where it happens and perhaps even would be the right call, but it would be a very specific situation. 

I think the most likely scenario is taking a DT in the 2nd-4th. And I actually think that is the right play. That is where the best value in this draft lies at that position.

The moves we have made scream to me that we believe the best option for addressing DT is after the first. So we have brought in guys that can hold the fort down for a year without having to rely on a raw rookie (even the most common top DT in the draft in Barmore is raw), but we still can add a guy that can come in and get his feet wet and play a specific role immediately while they develop into a hopeful long term starter starting in year two and beyond. 

Right now I think the most likely scenario for the draft is OT/FS in the first, the opposite in the second, and the third look at DT. And then beyond that in rounds four through seven target edge, CB, and WR. I even think there's a strong possibility we go OT/FS in the first, opposite in the second, and then using the 2 thirds to get back into the second to take whatever DT we like most that has fallen to the mid second round. 

But hey, I could be totally off. Just how I see it in my head looking at the young, high upside, low risk signings on the interior of the DL that were signed to prove it deals. Seems like the type of moves you make to insure you have a reasonable rotation should the board not fall your way and/or allow a deeper rotation that lets the rookie play to their strength and develop for a year without having to be THE guy at DT right off the bat. Especially because that position is one of the harder transitions in the NFL IMO and even the best can take a year or two to become high impact players.

That's my reading of the tea leaves and also how I would probably attempt to play it coming into the off season and currently after seeing the signings we have made. I think approaching it that way gives you your best mix between good enough play on the interior of the DL (hopefully witth even more improvement with a very very good pass rusher in Ngakoue) next season when the expectations will be playoffs, and long term outlook where we really need a pro bowl caliber player on the interior because that is such a huge boost to making a defense good.

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Problem we have is that our best 3T provided as much pressure up the middle as or NT.  We have spent nothing to increase interior pressure.  Even if we draft an early DT most likely they will not provide much in the first year or 2 based on history.  Every year we have to have a hole on the team that everyone knows about except the coaches and FO.

Possibly but there are definitely exceptions to the rule. Shouldn't stop us from trying either.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Mariota and Hicks have the same cap hit.  Throw in a draft pick just in case they have to cut Mariota.  I think MM could beat out Dalton.

If we could get Hicks for a 5rd pick and Mariota, done deal bro. But, that's never going to happen. I agree I would rather have MM over Dalton though. 

53 minutes ago, ragingraider said:

If we could get Hicks for a 5rd pick and Mariota, done deal bro. But, that's never going to happen. I agree I would rather have MM over Dalton though. 

I think Hicks is one of the best 1tecs in the league.  But, is he worth the cap hit and trade value.   He's not going to offer much pass rush and had a down year.  Already got a full DT room too. 

interesting both mayock and gruden had fuller as their number 1 corner when he was coming out 

It’s the first time since 1996 that the Bears have used their first-round pick on a cornerback.  Jon Gruden called Fuller “his favorite corner in the draft” and compared him to Charles Tillman

https://youtu.be/tIFr8wdcVPQ

• Like 1