2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

I like him but he’s injury prone. On the field was a top 12-15 corner before he started getting injured 

I agree and worth taking a shot on if he doesn't have an attitude problem.  He would be our best CB if we were to sign him and he stays healthy.

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

Nick Martin at Center vs Hudson is a significant downgrade

Player to player sure. But it could easily be argued that the savings from Hudson long term plus the additional third could more greatly improve the team. 

He's been a long term starter. And center is a position where teams regularly win games without an elite one. I'm totally fine with downgrading at center directly if it means improving other areas. Hopefully James beats out Martin. But if not we have a guy with considerable starting experience that could get us by for a year or two so we aren't forced to draft a guy unless we love them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah that way we’re not stuck with anybody if they under produce. And in two years we get to choose who we pay. It’s actually a really smart move. Imagine that...

Not really, that's a cutthroat atmosphere to play in. There's nobody on the team with long term security outside of players who are on rookie contracts...and even we traded to draft picks too.

At a certain time, you'll have players thinking about their deals instead of winning 

• Like 1

Signed C, Nick Martin. downgrade from Hudson for sure (obviously), but he's at least a serviceable/competent starter. Houston paid him a lot a couple of years ago. he should be favored for the starting gig. wonder what the money is

Vic still says its James' job to lose. maybe he's a lot better than what we saw in the Detroit game...

Edited by Turnobili

9 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Not really, that's a cutthroat atmosphere to play in. There's nobody on the team with long term security outside of players who are on rookie contracts...and even we traded to draft picks too.

At a certain time, you'll have players thinking about their deals instead of winning 

Most contracts have an out after 2 years anyway.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Don’t know anything about him

Zack Martins brother, 4 year starter for Texans.. only 4 penalties and 1 sack allowed last year.. better vs the pass than the run but let’s see what Cable can do.. Unless it’s a deal for 4-5 mil+, I’m assuming it’s a let the best man win thing with him and James.. but also not mad now at going into the draft with an established 27 year old signed at C to maybe give Andre another year to learn and get better and keep a pick in the arsenal for a different position of need or depth.. Similar to Good and Incognito with Simpson, now if the young guys are just flat out better, by all means then let them play.. comparing Hudson maybe last year to Martin, I don’t see a drastic drop off on the OLine, and I’m sure we’ll get our long term RT round 1/2 this year.. this guy wasn’t signed to a 3 year/33 mil deal last year because he was a scrub, I’m sure. 

18 minutes ago, JarrodR86 said:

Zack Martins brother, 4 year starter for Texans.. only 4 penalties and 1 sack allowed last year.. better vs the pass than the run but let’s see what Cable can do.. Unless it’s a deal for 4-5 mil+, I’m assuming it’s a let the best man win thing with him and James.. but also not mad now at going into the draft with an established 27 year old signed at C to maybe give Andre another year to learn and get better and keep a pick in the arsenal for a different position of need or depth.. Similar to Good and Incognito with Simpson, now if the young guys are just flat out better, by all means then let them play.. comparing Hudson maybe last year to Martin, I don’t see a drastic drop off on the OLine, and I’m sure we’ll get our long term RT round 1/2 this year.. this guy wasn’t signed to a 3 year/33 mil deal last year because he was a scrub, I’m sure. 

Good info. But then why do you think he got cut?

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Rich getting richer.  Still crazy how they can afford these players.  I feel like they have so many highly paid players on their team.  Just crazy.

We could afford them too. 

Instead, we remain hell bent on scraping the bottom of the barrel and laughably hanging onto Mariota. 

Just because we routinely fail to attract/get after/sign guys very often doesn't mean we couldn't have afforded them. We afforded Nassib and Mariota's bs contracts last year. 

The only crazy thing is people still so willing to gloss over all of the ridiculously questionable moves we make. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

We could afford them too. 

Instead, we remain hell bent on scraping the bottom of the barrel and laughably hanging onto Mariota. 

Just because we routinely fail to attract/get after/sign guys very often doesn't mean we couldn't have afforded them. We afforded Nassib and Mariota's bs contracts last year. 

The only crazy thing is people still so willing to gloss over all of the ridiculously questionable moves we make. 

Yeah the salary cap isn't real, teams can just restructure deals and create space. One thing about it though, aren't most deals that are restructured done so using signing bonuses? And isn't Davis one of the brokest owners in the league? 

• Like 1