Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Being assignment unsure has nothing to do with Fackrell sucking.

Fackrell sucks because he lacks physical ability. 

He runs a 7.34 3-cone and has a 34" vertical at 245 pounds. When you're stiff and lack explosive power, you're going to have a very hard time beating tackles. He's also 39 years old.

This was the sort of pick that any sort of mathematics based evaluation was going to flag bright red. 

You're preaching to the choir about Fackrell. ;)

29 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Being assignment unsure has nothing to do with Fackrell sucking.

Fackrell sucks because he lacks physical ability. 

He runs a 7.34 3-cone and has a 34" vertical at 245 pounds. When you're stiff and lack explosive power, you're going to have a very hard time beating tackles. He's also 39 years old.

This was the sort of pick that any sort of mathematics based evaluation was going to flag bright red. 

dude contributes 89% of his salary to his 401k though.  He leads the packers in that category.  And it's not even legal!  I don't think you're allowed to eclipse 17% or so.

Also, players don't get a 401k

Is it possible that the last 3-4 years that DC was the abbreviation for Dom Capers, and when they kept saying "hey! DC!"  in the packers hallways it was just assumed that it was his title and not a shortened nickname for Dom Capers?

I mean, we called him DC, so why wouldn't he be Defensive Coordinator?

On 12/28/2017 at 10:55 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

The only way you can say that GB played 4 OLBs extensively in 2016 is if you are willing to make the claim that Datone Jones was an OLB. I dispute that point

I realize there is a deep need for some to defend Ted's decision to rely heavily upon Fackrell at the OLB position in 2017.

But do you really think that claiming Datone Jones played ZERO snaps at OLB in 2016 furthers that defense? 

"The Packers last May declined to pick up their fifth-year option on Datone Jones, but Green Bay hasn't given up on the former first-rounder. After switching from defensive end to outside linebacker during last year's (2015) campaign, Jones used this offseason to reshape his body in order to maximize his play at a new position."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000676765/article/datone-jones-sheds-pounds-to-play-outside-linebacker

Jones, a former first-round pick who joined the Vikings on a one-year, $3.75 million deal this spring, claimed the Packers didn’t tell him of their plans to move him from the defensive line to outside linebacker last season and that he left in free agency because he wanted to return to his natural position. Jones saw spot duty at outside linebacker late in the 2015 season.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-now-with-vikings-datone-jones-says-green-bay-changed/article_b11a95aa-0513-5c87-8aca-302cce6923e0.html

"Datone Jones ... is the forgotten mand despite having played the 11th-most snaps of any defensive player in 2016 and the third-most among the team’s outside linebackers."

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/2/23/14716384/packers-free-agency-2017-datone-jones-forgotten-man-outside-linebacker

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I realize there is a deep need for some to defend Ted's decision to rely heavily upon Fackrell at the OLB position in 2017.

But do you really think that claiming Datone Jones played ZERO snaps at OLB in 2016 furthers that defense? 

"The Packers last May declined to pick up their fifth-year option on Datone Jones, but Green Bay hasn't given up on the former first-rounder. After switching from defensive end to outside linebacker during last year's (2015) campaign, Jones used this offseason to reshape his body in order to maximize his play at a new position."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000676765/article/datone-jones-sheds-pounds-to-play-outside-linebacker

Jones, a former first-round pick who joined the Vikings on a one-year, $3.75 million deal this spring, claimed the Packers didn’t tell him of their plans to move him from the defensive line to outside linebacker last season and that he left in free agency because he wanted to return to his natural position. Jones saw spot duty at outside linebacker late in the 2015 season.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-now-with-vikings-datone-jones-says-green-bay-changed/article_b11a95aa-0513-5c87-8aca-302cce6923e0.html

"Datone Jones ... is the forgotten mand despite having played the 11th-most snaps of any defensive player in 2016 and the third-most among the team’s outside linebackers."

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/2/23/14716384/packers-free-agency-2017-datone-jones-forgotten-man-outside-linebacker

all of those authors combined probably watched less than 10% of the all-22 tape than @AlexGreen#20 did.

So, in other words - worthless.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:44 AM, CWood21 said:

And that's definitely a knock against Ted.  He's not very proactive about fixing issues, he's more reactive.  And I get the wanting to try and fix the issues internally, but at some point you have to look outside the organization to help.  And I don't think it's necessarily an issue that he's not receptive to FA, I just think he's got a bit too high affinity for guys he brings in as draft picks.  I mean, neither Kyler Fackrell or Vince Biegel really inspire confidence after Clay and Perry.

Got to give credit where credit is due.

Back in July, CWood, you really nailed it regarding the lack of talent/depth issues at OLB.

You also correctly noted who it was that was responsible for those issues.

13 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Got to give credit where credit is due.

Back in July, CWood, you really nailed it regarding the lack of talent/depth issues at OLB.

You also correctly noted who it was that was responsible for those issues.

Are you done stalking me?

Despite your opinion otherwise, or your struggle to understand what is being said.  Ted Thompson isn't without fault.  Despite your arguments otherwise, there are no Ted fanboys in here and just because someone says something positive doesn't make them a TT fanboy.  Despite all this, you still struggle to put together a coherent argument.  To be honest, I think there is a very legitimate argument to make about moving on from Ted Thompson.  But you incoherent posting about arguments not being make really hurts your stance.  Stick to the facts in front of you and make legitimate arguments, and we can make a move forward.

Let's start this.  Outside of TJ Watt, which draft pick changes the Packers pass rush this year?  As I've noted in the pass rush thread, the results sans-TJ Watt are miserable at best. You made the argument that the Packers ignored the pass rush in this year's draft, something I actually do tend to agree with you on.  Instead, I'm asking you which pass rusher that the Packers passed on are they going to regret passing on outside of TJ Watt.

4 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Jones was the designated dime rusher last year. That was his position.

This isn't a question of OLB/UT. 

If you want to complain that we don't have a designated dime rusher worth a damn this year, that is a fine opinion to have. I made the point a ton going into the year. 

Dean Lowry ate up almost all of those snaps. The problem this team had is that Dean Lowry and Kyler Fackrell who took over those reps, both suck. Neither one took the step forward you need to have out of your mid round draft picks. 

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

all of those authors combined probably watched less than 10% of the all-22 tape than @AlexGreen#20 did.

So, in other words - worthless.

Yep all the articles, quotes, citations, etc. establishing that Datone Jones played snaps at OLB for the Green Bay Packers in 2016 must be ignored because an internet poster watched tape and insists otherwise.

In fact, Wilde quoting Datone Jones himself about his move to OLB must be discounted as proof that Jones played OLB in 2016. LOL.

The lengths some Ted fans will go to in order to absolve the man for responsibility for failing to properly account for the OLB position in 2017 know no bounds.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Yep all the articles, quotes, citations, etc. establishing that Datone Jones played snaps at OLB for the Green Bay Packers in 2016 must be ignored because an internet poster watched tape and insists otherwise.

yep. I've read all of the above sources for years now and I recognize competence when I see it.

Archived