2018 Head Coaching Candidates

G08

On 10/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, Dan_Bali said:

Matt Patricia has taken himself out of the shop window.

Wouldn't say that. Vance Joseph completely sucked as Miami DC... Yet he got a head coaching job.

And let's see how he handles the situation. If he can make this defense look just a little decent with the lack of players on that defense then he could easily keep his name in the convo.

Here's my top-10 list:

01. David Shaw (Stanford HC):
 - I've thought for years that Shaw would make an excellent NFL head coach. I don't generally care for NFL teams hiring HC's from college, but Shaw is an exception. He's easily the best potential head coaching candidate available, IMO. In some ways I think Shaw has the make up of someone who could be an even better pro coach than he is a college coach, and he's obviously a very good college coach.

02. Jim Harbaugh (Michigan HC/Fmr. 49ers HC):
 - It's probably inevitable that Harbaugh will be back in the NFL at some point. He took over the 49ers in 2011 and immediately coached them into contenders. Even his one "bad" year was 8-8. That said, he could also be a flashy hire gone bad for some NFL owner looking to make a big splash. It's also true that he took over a 49ers team loaded with talent (especially on defense) and that might not be the case if he were to wind up being hired by the Browns, Colts, Giants, or another bad team. Still, his success in San Francisco is hard to ignore.

03. John Morton (Jets OC):
 - He's not the biggest 'name' out there, and the Jets offense has not exactly been an elite unit this year, but considering the low level of talent on that unit, the fact that Morton has been able to coach a very respectable performance out of Josh McCown & co. this season should get him at least a few interviews for head coaching vacancies.

04. Steve Wilks (Panthers DC):
 - Wilks has been pretty solid across the board since joining the Panthers staff. He turned some really talent-lacking secondaries into functional units as DB's coach and in his first year as defensive coordinator has our defense ranked among the best in football. If there's an issue with him, it's that he only has the one year of experience as a DC and the Panthers do have both a pretty talented defense AND a good defensive-minded head coach in Ron Rivera.

05. Dave Toub (Chiefs STC):
 - How this guy hasn't gotten a head coaching job by now is beyond me. It's not like there isn't an example of a successful special teams coordinator turned head coach (John Harbaugh) to calm the fears some teams may have of hiring a special teams coach as HC. Plus, it's not like Toub is just some random special teams coach; he's the best ST coach of his era.

06. Teryl Austin (Lions DC):
 - I really would have thought Teryl Austin would have gotten a head coaching job by now. It seems like he's been a hot candidate for a few years now. Kind of reminds me of a certain former DC who was passed over a bunch of times before finally being hired by Buffalo and who has his team on track to make the playoffs for the first time since Y2K was a thing.

07. Kris Richard (Seahawks DC):
 - It's a tough call hiring a Seahawks DC given how good that unit has been regardless of who has coached it. Gus Bradley was a bust as a head coach while Dan Quinn has been pretty successful and has been to a Super Bowl. It could be a risk hire, but maybe the risk is worth taking in this case. He's probably the last candidate on this list I like enough to say that I wouldn't mind my team hiring him as head coach under the right circumstances.

08. Jim Bob Cooter (Lions OC):
 - I'm 50/50 on Cooter. Detroit's offense has been productive under him, but it has also been fairly inconsistent. Personally, I'd probably give him another year or two before seriously considering him as a head coach, but the potential certainly is there.

09. Mike Smith (Bucs DC/Fmr. Falcons HC):
 - Let me first say that I'm not a fan of retreads as head coaches. Not only that, but it's not as if the Bucs defense has been dominant by any means this year. Still, Smith has shown in the past that, given enough talent to work with, he can be a pretty successful head coach.

10. Frank Reich (Eagles OC):
 - I feel like it's probably inevitable that Reich will be a head coach at some point, and that's probably deserved. If I were him, though, I'd stay in Philly until the right team came calling because with Carson Wentz at QB he'll probably be a hot candidate for the next several years, so there's no need to rush into a bad situation just to get that HC opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 4:11 PM, G08 said:

Wanted to open up this thread to get a conversation going on some assistants that you believe worthy of becoming a Head Coach next season

1. Pete Carmichael Jr - New Orleans Saints OC

2. Darrell Bevel - Seahawks OC

3. Teryl Austin - Lions DC

Then this is a bad year to be looking for a HC.

On 10/14/2017 at 4:44 PM, Zithers2 said:

Steve Wilks, Panthers DC.

was already the assistant HC as a DB coach, held the same position under Norv Turner in San Diego, and interviewed with the Rams for HC this offseason.

Assistant HC is a made up position to heal frail egos.

Jim Harbaugh would only coach Indianapolis of the most likely vacancies. But if Green bay became vacant, it'd be tough for him to resist coaching Aaron Rodgers.

Gruden I think returns to the booth unless a marquee job opens up. 

Josh McDaniels to the New york Giants

Jim Bob Cooter to Tampa

Matt Patricia to Cincinnati 

Mike Vrabel to the Browns

1 hour ago, chargerbuckeye said:

Jim Harbaugh would only coach Indianapolis of the most likely vacancies. But if Green bay became vacant, it'd be tough for him to resist coaching Aaron Rodgers.

Gruden I think returns to the booth unless a marquee job opens up. 

Josh McDaniels to the New york Giants

Jim Bob Cooter to Tampa

Matt Patricia to Cincinnati 

Mike Vrabel to the Browns

Jim Harbaugh will return to the NFL, but I can't see him leaving Michigan yet. I do see a scenario where Michigan wins a National Title or a Rose Bowl, and Harbaugh departs. 

2 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Jim Harbaugh will return to the NFL, but I can't see him leaving Michigan yet. I do see a scenario where Michigan wins a National Title or a Rose Bowl, and Harbaugh departs. 

With the way OSU Recruits, jim Harbaugh won't sniff any of that. A Lombardi trophy would mean more to him than any accomplishment at Michigan, especially if its with Luck

Archived