If Mahomes and Rodgers swapped teams at the start of the season...

notthatbluestuff

I don't think a whole lot would have changed.  Both are good quarterbacks who have piled up a lot of wins this season.  It's not like one guy would take the other team to an undefeated record.  If they had switched teams, both teams would probably be sitting about where they are right now.

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

Rodgers has the better oline and rbs, imo. #1 wr's are equal in value different in talent.

While Tonyan has been surprisingly good, he is no kelce.

Their depth for both teams outside of that is a bunch of JAGs. With guys who maybe have a big game here or there.

The hugh difference to me is the KC play calling and design. Their presnap movements, creativity, exotic looking formations is really like nothing I've seen from any other team. It's like they run a play call and design lab out there, where Bieniemy with Reid are in lab coats coming up with super effective, creative stuff.

I think Rodgers would benefit greatly from that and Mahomes would miss some of that and production would skew in favor of Rodgers (who is already having a more efficient year and slightly more dominant)

My question is, does Bieniemy come up with this stuff or is it Reid. If Eric, then sign me up.

The Packers often have trouble getting the ball snapped before the clock runs down.  If they had to wait through all those pre-snap movements, how many delay of game penalties would they have?  That number could be huge!

48 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Packers often have trouble getting the ball snapped before the clock runs down.  If they had to wait through all those pre-snap movements, how many delay of game penalties would they have?  That number could be huge!

I remember those days

Mahomes yelled at Reid so much about it it’s no longer been an issue lmao.

48 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

And this is what really drives me nuts about Rodgers.  We waste more time outs because they keep flirting with delay of game flags.   😠

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Outcome would be the same imo, add Russell Wilson to the list too. 

How does Deshaun Watson look? He's got the worst skill positions of the group, and his OL is probably one of the more underachieving groups - yet he's putting up some pretty solid numbers.

I'm curious at what people think...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

How does Deshaun Watson look? He's got the worst skill positions of the group, and his OL is probably one of the more underachieving groups - yet he's putting up some pretty solid numbers.

I wholeheartedly believe Deshaun could of won a SB with the Chiefs last year as well, Replace Mahomes with Watson and the Chiefs are still just as good. Both Watson and Wilson throw just as good as a deep ball as Mahomes imo. (no stats to justify or prove my point)

Both of them would probably have an MVP as well.

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm going to go contrary and say neither would do as well despite saying both are the top 2 QBs by a landslide. 

When I watch the Chiefs, often times Mahomes is pulling straight up Houdini tricks to get the ball to people. Not that Rodgers doesn't have some magic tricks of his own, I just don't see the same gunslinger mentality that Mahomes has. 

As for the Packers...it's the personnell. Even with their offense usually being very machine-like in efficiency, Rodgers is still having to make his kind of magic happen with lesser talented players than Mahomes has to work with. 

I know it's totally against the grain, but I could see Rodgers' more conservative style not being as effective in KC, and I could see Mahomes' improv skills not making magic with less talent around him. It's important to note I don't think either would fail, but I just don't know that we'd be seeing the type year they're having this year if they swapped places.

This is more or less what I came in to say. I genuinely think each would have had a worse season on the opposite team. I think the OL struggles that KC has would hurt Rodgers more than Mahomes, and Rodgers would be less suited to some of the more creative stuff that Reid runs. But Mahomes also has a tendency to scramble and escape the pocket even when the pass blocking is good, so I don't think he'd benefit as much as Rodgers does from the OL in GB, and I don't think Adams and crew suit Mahomes's playstyle anywhere near as well as Hill.

Both teams would still be near the top of their conferences, both guys would be having top tier seasons, but I don't think their seasons would be quite as absurdly good as both have been as is this year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I wholeheartedly believe Deshaun could of won a SB with the Chiefs last year as well, Replace Mahomes with Watson and the Chiefs are still just as good. Both Watson and Wilson throw just as good as a deep ball as Mahomes imo. (no stats to justify or prove my point)

Both of them would probably have an MVP as well.

I just don’t see that. Wilson and Watson are incredible talents but Mahomes and Rodgers are on another planet. They’re the standard at this point for QB play and ability. Watching them throw the ball is what it was like watching Marino throw the ball. It’s perfection. 

• Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, ET80 said:

Deshaun is about as good as any other QB in the league.  I'd take Mahomes over Watson, but that's probably about it.  What would be interesting to see is what he could have accomplished if he had been drafted by the Bears.  Their offensive weapons aren't any better than what he has in Houston, but having a QB running the offense when you have their defense could make things pretty interesting.  The Bears would be playing from ahead a lot more than they have been and their pass rushers could run wild.

The thing is, despite GB's OL being better, Reid is an all time qb friendly coordinator.

I have no doubt Rodgers would do better and Mahomes would do worse. When the Chief's OL has struggled, Reid has designed a lot of quick hitters that are extremely effective. He's the best screen designer in the business.

Mahomes has elite talent but still makes some horrendous decisions with the football and has benefited from what I believe to be one of the best, if not the best supporting cast I've ever seen (can't remember the last team with 2 top 5 weapons in the NFL and a track team behind them). 16 dropped interceptions this year and some of them have been god awful decisions. 

Take away Adams and we are looking at a pretty mediocre supporting cast. Jones is also excellent. But none of those other guys are particularly comparable to that KC group.