Do you think Josh Allen is going to change how people view QB Development?

CP3MVP

22 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

This is a little disingenuous as well. Allen has been very inaccurate his entire career even going back to high school so don't word it like he has always been good but held back by his team. He's NEVER had a season where he's had a >60% competition percentage until this year.

What Allen has done is almost unheard of. More talent helps but what Josh Allen  took a historic leap in ability almost overnight which is exceedingly rare.

I mean watching every game of his career so far you could see the talent was holding him back. Now was it 12% comp percentage back... no, he developed a lot. Who tf having a good percentage with Robert Foster, Deonte Thompson, fat Kelvin Benjamin and Charles Clay? Literally his entire receiving corp from year one is out of the league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

But they still had a 4th a 5th and two 6th to work with after the trade. Bills had 7 picks in total in 2020 even after trading that for Diggs. 

In comparison, what the Bills gave up for Diggs wouldn’t have gotten them to the Dallas pick where they took Lamb. 

It was a good trade it just seemed like they gave up a lot after the Cardinals got Hopkins for two cheetos and a fax machine.

12 hours ago, QBIso said:

Knew this was coming from him. You saw glimpses of greatness from him all through his college career and early NFL days. He’s never going to be surgical, but he will be a very good franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. I loved his work ethic and personality coming out of Wyoming. Figured with that athletic profile and mindset that it would click for him. 

Now, lets not get too crazy. He’s certainly not a finished product. But the people calling him a bust after 1 season are looking foolish. I called him Cam Newton as a prospect. He can do amazing and special things on the field. And he’s much more of a leader than Cam ever was. 

Look, this is why I have it on record many, many times saying that he was my favorite player in the draft, even before he broke out. If you look back at the Sam Darnold vs Josh Allen sophomore strides thread, several of us stated that Allen would make a bigger leap and continue improving. Josh Allen had the highest character grades out of any player I've seen, and when you combine THAT with the athleticism, that's what gets you a special prospect. 

Too many people look at the wrong things. They looked at where he WAS versus his trajectory. Trajectory is the most important thing for prospects and young players. Sure, if you're contending for a Super Bowl immediately, you want a prospect that's already going to be playing at a high level from day one. How many teams that are drafting a QB are in that situation, though?

Anyways, anyone who really looked at Josh Allen as a prospect would be familiar with his story of how he got to Wyoming and his impact on that team. Nobody has done that before. Add his high football IQ to that level of maturity and leadership, add his insane work ethic, add his incredible athleticism... Look, someone who's just a good to great athlete? That's hardly a recipe for success. But a great athlete with an unequalled work ethic and the ability to command a locker room? And he got rave reviews from a lot of people for his work at the Senior Bowl. 

These are all the reasons that I had Josh Allen as the best option at number one overall in 2018... And they laughed at me... Well who's laughing now? Mwahahahahaa!

But seriously, Josh Allen was my favorite player in the draft two years in a row.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Not really. The draft is a crapshoot and why players succeed or fail happens due to a number of different reasons. Using Josh Allen as an example of that is setting you up to fail. Just trust your evaluation. No need to over complicate things. 

I agree with this. Coaching, and front office matters when taking into consideration why a player either busted out or excelled in a way most didn’t see coming. 

Example A: Josh Allen

Example B: Sam Darnold

It shouldn’t have changed. The fans have been spoiled by seeing Mahomes and others coming in Year 1 and Year 2 lighting things up that we forget that back in the day the true development of a QB was 3 years before they can be ready to compete for the starting job. I think that’s one thing that ruined Kaepernick. I remember Mike Mayock saying it would take Kaepernick at least 3 years before he is ready to compete with Smith for the starting job. Kaepernick started in 1 year and a half. He was great early then fell off  in his play big time. He wasn’t fully developed. It took Brees 3 years before the light switched came on. The Chargers were impatient thinking he wouldn’t work out so they traded to get Rivers in the 1st round. 

The fans are so quick to give up on QBs if they don’t look good even the first handful of seasons. Look at Tannehill. He has developed into a great QB but it took time. People took Smith for a joke for awhile and now he is on the verge of leading his 3rd team to a division title. If he didn’t get hurt he had Washington in great position to be the class of the NFC East and I don’t think they draft Haskins. So yeah the QB development normally takes time. It took until Vick playing in Philly before he was a better passer. Mobile QBs need to grow to be better passers and non mobile QBs need to be able to learn how to audible into the right plays and then read and manipulate defenses better. It takes time though not just one or two years even after the game slows down. 

Edited by stl4life07
  • Like 3

3rd year is definitely do or die for every developmental type player.

This is being blown a little out of proportion. He's been very good, and he wasn't before, but all the talk was how he had no weapons around him, and I feel that, of all the developmental type young QBs, he was the one who was viewed in a positive manner for most people, so I don't see the huge narrative change people are seeing.