GDT: Cardinals vs Niners

Malfatron

Just now, jrry32 said:

That's an unbelievably dumb rule. This same division stupidity is what's going to allow a below .500 NFCE team into the playoffs. They really need to rethink how this works.

Washington will be favorites their next two games. I don’t have a problem with a 8-8 Division Winner. 

8-8 Wildcard team and 7-9 Division Winner are my pet peeves. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Washington will be favorites their next two games. I don’t have a problem with a 8-8 Division Winner. 

8-8 Wildcard team and 7-9 Division Winner are my pet peeves. 

That 8-8 division winner gets the 4th seed and homefield advantage in the first round. 

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I have no issue with Chicago getting it if they win out, and look strong five games in a row.

If the 7th seed ends up 8-8, yes I would agree, they shouldn't be there.

Chicago is 1-4 against winning teams, with all four losses being uncompetitive and their win being by one point at home on a short week against a team missing multiple pro bowl players. They aren’t beating Green Bay week 17 unless Green Bay lays down their starters.

1 minute ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Chicago is 1-4 against winning teams, with all four losses being uncompetitive and their win being by one point at home on a short week against a team missing multiple pro bowl players. They aren’t beating Green Bay week 17 unless Green Bay lays down their starters.

No division game is ever truly an upset. I heard the same thing about Arizona/San Francisco all week long while I picked San Francisco. 

5 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Not saying the Bears are anything special, but they did take the Saints to OT, so not all losses were uncompetitive.

8 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

So you love things which lack logic

Well, there is logical reasons to group divisions, as they have extremely similar schedules including two games against each other team, and thus, can be more fairly compared with eachother. Wildcards are harder. You get 11-5 teams playing the two worst divisions in football people clamor for despite 8-8 teams that played extremely difficult schedules that are in my mind more impressive usually. Records are a flawed way to compare teams if the two teams have a minimal amount of common opponents.

But  yeah, I like the chaos. I like all the layers there are in playoff scenarios in the NFL. For no real greedy reason either (the Dolphins rarely benefit from such things) but I feel it makes it a more interesting product overall. Hell, it would be very favorable for the Dolphins for the playoffs to lack conference separation right now... one of the biggest reasons, if not the largest reason, bad teams get in and good teams get left out is due to this.

You're entitled to an opinion, too. I can perfectly see why someone would prefer a more "fair" playoff system; I'm not denying the current system will allow inferior teams to make the post-season or as a higher seed over an inferior one.