What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Just now, AKRNA said:

Sure, but that didn't happen so he moved on. Plan B was Bridgewater. I don't think he was ever too interested in drafting a day 1 QB. Could've been a good long term option but Fangio, Shurmer, et al. are kind of in a "now or never" mode. 

They don't really have the time to develop another rookie.

Teddy makes sense as the “we’ve been down every road and no appreciable upgrade is available” option (which looked like the situation until draft day). But I still contend that Teddy winning the job is the worst thing that can happen for this team. That means the cupboard is bare at QB once again and they’ll be desperate to add one next year. If this is going to be a real competition, everyone should be rooting for Lock to win it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think you're right. By all his actions Paton seems to be doing his best to provide what Fangio and company think they need to thrive. He's provided some great tools for the staff to work with. If they and Paton think they can build a successful team without going overboard on QB, let 'em try and more power to 'em.

Our last SB we won with the worst statistical QB in the league, albeit a great leader. I don't see a problem trying to replicate that formula.

If they fail, they'll be looking for work next year, we'll have a roster stacked with young talent, no huge financial commitments to individuals and a great destination for a new HC.

I do wonder how much the prospect of landing Aaron played in the decisions Paton made in the draft. By almost EVERY credible account it was very, very close to getting Aaron on day 1. 

We added day 1 starters at CB and RB and at the very least good depth/rotational contributors at IOL and ILB and then protected the future with late round, high-upside prospects who this year will get ST work and learn to hopefully contribute meaningfully next year when/if some/all the 1-year contract guys move on.  

These were, as you say, give Vic & Co. a good chance this year regardless of what happens at QB but also have a roster protected for the future if we do land Aaron this year or Watson/Wilson next year. 

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think competition may bring out the best in Lock but it may also bring out the best in Teddy he's gonna need to be more than captain check down to win the job.

Lock has no best. He won't win this. He is another garbage QB that Elway had faith in (while foolishly letting Kyle Sloter go out the door).

1 minute ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Lock has no best. He won't win this. He is another garbage QB that Elway had faith in (while foolishly letting Kyle Sloter go out the door).

Oh and every other team decided Sloter wasn't good enough is he even on a roster? I thought this gimmick died years ago.

I think Lock turns some heads this year in a good way barring trading for Rodgers bookmark this.

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Teddy makes sense as the “we’ve been down every road and no appreciable upgrade is available” option (which looked like the situation until draft day). But I still contend that Teddy winning the job is the worst thing that can happen for this team. That means the cupboard is bare at QB once again and they’ll be desperate to add one next year. If this is going to be a real competition, everyone should be rooting for Lock to win it.

I agree, I just think it may take a while. Teddy's going to be tough to beat out of camp. He should really run that offense well. I'd think the staff would be hoping that Lock drops the "I'm a gunslinger" bit and really pays attention. By the second half of the season or so he could turn into a better option.

If he doesn't make that turn and Teddy's just not enough there'll be a big change next year. 

15 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think competition may bring out the best in Lock but it may also bring out the best in Teddy he's gonna need to be more than captain check down to win the job.

Actually I think Teddy can win the job by being Captain Checkdown. But he’s really not capable of being anything else. Teddy is going to be consistent, in a practice environment guys like him tend to do well. This is all about Lock winning or losing the job. If he can make the big throws Teddy can’t while limiting the turnovers, he’ll win the job. If he can’t stop turning it over, he’ll lose the job. He can’t try to out-Teddy Teddy, because Teddy’s strengths are his weaknesses. He needs to show the traits Teddy physically doesn’t have while also protecting the ball. It’s a tough ask.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

I agree, I just think it may take a while. Teddy's going to be tough to beat out of camp. He should really run that offense well. I'd think the staff would be hoping that Lock drops the "I'm a gunslinger" bit and really pays attention. By the second half of the season or so he could turn into a better option.

If he doesn't make that turn and Teddy's just not enough there'll be a big change next year. 

I think the issue for Drew in a competition is he probably can’t win it without making a lot of big plays, and he needs to do this without turning the ball over much. He can’t win the job by trying to be like Teddy, he can improve in the areas Teddy is strong in but he’s not going to be able to get his accuracy and timing to Teddy’s level and probably not anywhere close to it. They couldn’t be more different as players.

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Actually I think Teddy can win the job by being Captain Checkdown. But he’s really not capable of being anything else. Teddy is going to be consistent, in a practice environment guys like him tend to do well. This is all about Lock winning or losing the job. If he can make the big throws Teddy can’t while limiting the turnovers, he’ll win the job. If he can’t stop turning it over, he’ll lose the job. He can’t try to out-Teddy Teddy, because Teddy’s strengths are his weaknesses. He needs to show the traits Teddy physically doesn’t have while also protecting the ball. It’s a tough ask.

We'll find out early whether that 7-2 td to ints to close out the year was Lock growing or just a marriage.

Teddy B had a 62.2 qbr last year highlight of his career I feel way better about this trade than the flacco one Lock is really going to need to be sharp to beat him out which is a good thing. I think the 2021 broncos will be extremely competitive. 8.5 over under win total after having the 9th pick in the draft tells me Vegas is on the same page.

Other than truly addressing qb Paton has had a phenomenal first off-season. The crappy part is so have the chiefs and chargers.

44 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

100% ... now we just gotta hope for a Rodgers deal (I'm not holding my breath and will rather just be surprised and excited if it happens) or we gotta hope that Lock makes a step in camp. Teddy is better than some of our previous journeyman options ... but his ceiling is still low. We gotta have a truly elite team around him to be a wildcard type of team. Maybe he bounces back in a big way due to years away from the serious injury, but I doubt that.

Anyways ... it's more of the same with the QB situation. So although I am very high on what Paton has done, I don't blame people for being somewhat cynical about the season.

15 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think the issue for Drew in a competition is he probably can’t win it without making a lot of big plays, and he needs to do this without turning the ball over much. He can’t win the job by trying to be like Teddy, he can improve in the areas Teddy is strong in but he’s not going to be able to get his accuracy and timing to Teddy’s level and probably not anywhere close to it. They couldn’t be more different as players.

I'd say that's a pretty accurate analysis. Drew just has to pick up enough to realize he doesn't need to make all the plays, just get it to the guys that can. That's where Teddy will excel.

The offense, if healthy, probably has more talent at all skill positions as I've ever seen on one team. I'm also thinking Munchak will dial up the best OL we've had in years. This offense could be a DC's nightmare and a perfect fit for a timing, rhythm type QB like Teddy.  Lock really needs to pick up some of those skills.

I think last year I went on the same "he doesn't understand the game" rant about 20 times. Man he did stupid stuff. near the end of the year he seemed to start getting it but he'd bounce between "captain Check down" one game to "I'm a gunslinger" the next. 

Watching Teddy actually "run" the offense should rub off a bit wouldn't you think? At least that's what I'm hoping for.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The problem with the Broncos is that they keep rotating the HC and QBs but they just keep replacing with the same failed things.

They have tried bridge QBs like Keenum, Flacco, Bridgewater. They have tried 2nd tier prospects like Osweiler, Lock and Lynch. They have tried unspectacular coaching hires like Fangio, Fox, Shurmer and Jospeh.

They have yet to really go out and make a "all or nothing" type move to address either problems. They just keep rotating the QB/coaching decisions with the same stale crap that doesnt work and keep having to fall back on defense. 

Yup totally agree which is why ownership is so important to me. If we do the same old thing we have been doing and getting these 2nd tier prospects to "peak" interest in fans, it's going to just piss me off. However, if we go for an Elon Musk type rocket into space and end up in a spectacular fireball...I'm ok with that. At least we tried to get the franchise back to a place where we are respected/feared.

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Anyways ... it's more of the same with the QB situation. So although I am very high on what Paton has done, I don't blame people for being somewhat cynical about the season.

It was always going to be like this unless we went Stafford or Rodgers. Fields ad lib talent is awesome but I didn't love hitching the wagon to him or Mac Jones. 

Trey Lance was Patons guy and it's who he wanted but he'd be a redshirt so I wonder how much that weighed in with coaches on the hot seat. Did he love the prospect enough to give what San Francisco gave up but didn't love our situation.

6 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'd say that's a pretty accurate analysis. Drew just has to pick up enough to realize he doesn't need to make all the plays, just get it to the guys that can. That's where Teddy will excel.

The offense, if healthy, probably has more talent at all skill positions as I've ever seen on one team. I'm also thinking Munchak will dial up the best OL we've had in years. This offense could be a DC's nightmare and a perfect fit for a timing, rhythm type QB like Teddy.  Lock really needs to pick up some of those skills.

I think last year I went on the same "he doesn't understand the game" rant about 20 times. Man he did stupid stuff. near the end of the year he seemed to start getting it but he'd bounce between "captain Check down" one game to "I'm a gunslinger" the next. 

Watching Teddy actually "run" the offense should rub off a bit wouldn't you think? At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I agree this is huge teddy is good at what Lock is subpar at so if he can improve on those areas he should win this competition. If he doesn't well be in the market for the guy 

I'm honestly shocked we didn't sign Newman or the Filipe guy the falcons did as a udfa. It's almost like they want a small room. 

I personally think the split 50-50 reps is bs Locks gonna get the mental reps viewing teddy to show him this is how we want things done. I'm not sure if this is even a true competition.