What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

On 11/15/2021 at 12:56 PM, bMiller031 said:

Well this might be the least reassuring rationale I’ve heard for passing on Mac & Fields.  F*** me we’re so dysfunctional. 

Allbright is a double talking glorified PR rep. The dude has repeatedly stated that Lance would’ve been the pick if he was there at 9, and he was the biggest project of all the first round QBs. He’s always trying to deflect blame away from Paton and scapegoat the coaches and players. You can’t tell whether what he’s saying is truth or spin.

I still think they really thought they were going to be able to land Aaron on draft weekend and that's at least partially why they passed on a QB. 

As myself, and many others here have also said, since this was a make-or-break year for Vic and his staff, they wanted to give him all the tools possible to be successful this year, not only to win as much as possible but also a show to future HC candidates that Paton and his FO will do everything they can to support the coaching staff.

Additionally, as many of us have also said, drafting a QB when questions remain about who will be the HC/OC in 2022 and beyond is risky as drafting a dynamic project (Fields) or a safe pocket passer (Jones) could limit the pool of potential HC and OC candidates, some may want a Fields type while others prefer a Jones type and whomever the new HC and OC is would have to work with the second year QB regardless. We could have a HC or OC candidate we like but if he wants a more athletic, big armed, move the pocket, make plays with your legs type and our QB is Mac Jones, he could be harder to land, leading us to settle for our second (or lower) choice. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, French Fan said:

Initially going to a vet and safer QB can be understandable.
But in the end, good stats don't have any effect on the results. TB is in the TOP 10 (98.8) but the attack is anemic.
Pass too short to ensure a%, little risk taking or not, wait too long .....
He is injured but still plays ... !!
So if Fangio and Shurmur don't trust Lock why didn't they trade him early in the season? Stupidity to keep it.
The coaches remain in their decision and it shows the failure of the coaching .... the attack is not going anywhere in this situation.
Yes Lock is not a Top 10 ... but frankly after 19 games we have seen more thinning than with TB so far.
He's a Gunslinger so yes there will be INTs , bad choices but at least the opponent will respect the running game otherwise they could be punished for some deep actions. With teddy 0 chance, the WR must do a feat each time over 20 yds ....
If you can explain to me why they didn't trade Lock in the offseason? I don't understand !!
As if they weren't sure they had any certainties with Lock but that the 50% balance made them believe that they were going to go to PO with TB .....

Actually it's pretty simple. Lock, mentally just wasn't ready. They brought in Teddy for one year to see if Lock could learn from the sidelines and make the next step. 

I'd imagine after we lose a few division games Lock will get his chance to show us he belongs in the NFL. Probably the same goes for Rypien.

24 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Actually it's pretty simple. Lock, mentally just wasn't ready. They brought in Teddy for one year to see if Lock could learn from the sidelines and make the next step. 

I'd imagine after we lose a few division games Lock will get his chance to show us he belongs in the NFL. Probably the same goes for Rypien.

I’m not so sure. Vic picked Teddy during camp (Actually I believe picked him the day he was signed) and until we’re officially mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, he will ride with Teddy barring injury. Vic seems to me the type of coach who will go down with the ship.

The moment it was announced they were going with Teddy, Drew’s time as a Broncos starter came to an end. He won’t start another game for Denver, not with this staff or a new one, barring injury to the QB1. Drew will be on a new team when camps open next summer, likely a team coached/coordinated by someone from the Shanahan/McVay tree. 

16 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’m not so sure. Vic picked Teddy during camp (Actually I believe picked him the day he was signed) and until we’re officially mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, he will ride with Teddy barring injury. Vic seems to me the type of coach who will go down with the ship.

The moment it was announced they were going with Teddy, Drew’s time as a Broncos starter came to an end. He won’t start another game for Denver, not with this staff or a new one, barring injury to the QB1. Drew will be on a new team when camps open next summer, likely a team coached/coordinated by someone from the Shanahan/McVay tree. 

That's kinda what I said. We lose a few division games and we're out. Might as well give Drew or Brett a shot.

50 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That's kinda what I said. We lose a few division games and we're out. Might as well give Drew or Brett a shot.

Can't see Fangio doing that - unless Paton orders him to and I can't see that happening because Paton won't want a reputation of interfering with the work of the HC.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jolly red giant said:

The reality is that Paton's tenure as GM will likely be determined by whether he gets Rodgers or Wilson - or not.

I don't agree with that at all. His tenure will be defined by how he addresses the QB position in general. There are QBs he could absolutely draft and pick a coaching staff to develop. It's not veteran QB or bust.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

The way the playoff math in the AFC is shaping up, I doubt it gets settled anytime soon. We’re right now in a 6-way tie for the 7th WC spot and that’s after the 4 division leaders are accounted for. It may sort itself out over the next 3 weeks but I bet we enter Christmas weekend still mathematically alive. Maybe, maybe we’re mathematically eliminated by week 16 or 17 but even still, like I said, I see Vic being the kind of guy who goes down with the ship. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I don't agree with that at all. His tenure will be defined by how he addresses the QB position in general. There are QBs he could absolutely draft and pick a coaching staff to develop. It's not veteran QB or bust.

I think as regards Paton, he still has another year to show trends in the right direction.

But he does need to get a new, legit QB option next year by either drafting a rookie early who the new coaching staff likes and will develop or bring in the future HOF vet in Rodgers/Wilson. Another stop gap. Another “decision.” Another kick the can down the road, the fan base will revolt. It’ll be 10x uglier than it is now and 2x as ugly as it was under Mac. 

The good news is the new owner is not going to spend $4,000,000,000+ to own a team that is an afterthought in the NFL. 

• Like 1

ok with your different answers. But that doesn't answer the main question.
Why not have traded Lock if the staff were not counting on him? Paton decision himself if the new staff wanted Lock? And I'm far from convinced that Matt Corral, Malik Willis, Carson Strong, Kenny Pickett, Spencer Rattler or Sam Howell are better for the 2022 draft. And far from being convinced that Rodgers, Wilson are interested in coming ... even less Wilson .
Watson will be overpriced and Denver is not on his list.

Edited by French Fan

14 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think as regards Paton, he still has another year to show trends in the right direction.

But he does need to get a new, legit QB option next year by either drafting a rookie early who the new coaching staff likes and will develop or bring in the future HOF vet in Rodgers/Wilson. Another stop gap. Another “decision.” Another kick the can down the road, the fan base will revolt. It’ll be 10x uglier than it is now and 2x as ugly as it was under Mac. 

The good news is the new owner is not going to spend $4,000,000,000+ to own a team that is an afterthought in the NFL. 

That's absolutely false. Tepper just bought the Panthers for a ton of money. There's a finite number of teams and the Broncos have a winning history. This team will get bought for a ton of money, it literally does not matter what their record is this or next year as it relates to the sale of the team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Stop trying to make Lock happen. It’s not going to happen.

the question is why a staff who don't rely on a player don't use them as market value to improve the team.
Must stop being anti-Lock Pro-Lock anti Teddy Pro-Teddy .....
You don't move the debate forward

• Like 2