Playoffs Gameday Thread: WFT vs Tompa

MKnight82

9 minutes ago, 4209 said:

WOW.  All I can say well at least the kid can scramble b/c the Buc's are going to send the dogs early and often. As a matter of fact I was expecting them to do the same with AS. You know they watched AS during the Eagles game.

I agree-cover within 5 yards of the LOS and send the dogs - Game Over !

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Just Read-Rivera says they need to consider rotating QBs against the Bucs. DUH, Just start Heinicke- Smith can't frekkin get out of his own way . Looks like the fallen and can't get up commercial. He's just too hurt to play anymore . It's too bad but we need the kid even if he's inexperienced. He knows the system and can move.

If Smith isn't healthier than last week then he shouldn't be on the field.  Rotating is asinine.  Pick a qb.

13 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am still in disbelief that they put him back there after the week before.  He has had more than 3 strikes with those hands this year.  They need to make a change.  What about Wright?

Wright muffed a punt at the 10 yard-line in the 2nd game Giants which arguably - outside of the 4 other turnovers (Alex’s 3 ints & Gibby’s fumble) - were the biggest reason we lost to the Giants in the 2nd game.

Danny Johnson fielded a punt in the 1st Cowboys game and had no issue that I recall. He’s also been returning kicks all year and never had an issue, I’d make him the punt returner too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Just Read-Rivera says they need to consider rotating QBs against the Bucs. DUH, Just start Heinicke- Smith can't frekkin get out of his own way . Looks like the fallen and can't get up commercial. He's just too hurt to play anymore . It's too bad but we need the kid even if he's inexperienced. He knows the system and can move.

I would say that Smith should start - if he’s able - but, if Smith is having major issues like in the second half of last week then we need to put Heinicke in. Here’s the issue they face, this entire team knows one of the main reasons they are in this position is bc of of Alex. Alex is 5-1 as Washington’s starter this year. I think it’s a bit of a hit to the teams momentum if Alex isn’t starting.

Now, if Alex can’t operate the offense then at some point Rivera should go to Heinicke  but, I don’t think Heinicke should take this start away from Alex. I think Alex deserves to start as long as he’s healthy enough to go.

Edited by turtle28

I saw on Sportscenter today that Brady’s QB drops by 77.9 points when he’s pressured. 

We already knew that pressure from our DL or well timed blitzes were key to winning this game for us, but that stat confirms it.

As we know, Tom Brady the last few years  has really struggled when pressure so, we gotta get a lot of pressure on him.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

WOW.  All I can say well at least the kid can scramble b/c the Buc's are going to send the dogs early and often. As a matter of fact I was expecting them to do the same with AS. You know they watched AS during the Eagles game.

I actually thinks it’s more important that no matter who our QB that they get rid of the ball quick to slow down the Bucs pass rush.  I trust Alex more to get rid of the ball quicker and make the right reads quicker than I do Heinicke.

Scrambling away from Shaq Barrett & JPP is going to be hard for any QB. It’s more important to get the ball our quick, take 5 -10 yard gains per pass play, control the clock and move the chains.

Edited by turtle28

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I actually thinks it’s more important that no matter who our QB that they get rid of the ball quick to slow down the Bucs pass rush.  I trust Alex more to get rid of the ball quicker and make the right reads quicker than I do Heinicke.

Scrambling away from Shaq Barrett & JPP is going to be hard for any QB. It’s more important to get the ball our quick, take 5 -10 yard gains per pass play, control the clock and move the chains.

By the fourth quarter it looked like Alex was having trouble throwing past the line of scrimmage. He needs to be significantly  healthier to start in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Just can't see that being the case though.. If he is -I agree. I think that abused right leg needs a LOT of rest-like an offseason .

Well sure, but I still think a 70% Alex Smith is better than a 100% Heinicke or even a 100% Kyle Allen if Kyle was healthy.

What Alex gives us over the others is immeasurable. Alex gives the entire team  leadership - especially the young WRs - first and foremost. Then, after that he makes the quickest and best decisions with the ball and lastly he’s the most accurate. 

Alex is the best option even when he’s not 100%.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, Troublez said:

By the fourth quarter it looked like Alex was having trouble throwing past the line of scrimmage. He needs to be significantly  healthier to start in my opinion. 

Rivera said he thought that Turner was calling plays to protect Alex from getting hit. So, I wouldn’t put that on Alex, that was by design of the offensive coordinator bc they didn’t want Alex to get hit anymore.

I love this team and seeing Alex and this young group get a win would seriously be special. But we are going to have to essentially be the toughest team from not on and play mistake free football. Any team can win on any Sunday but this group is going to have to play on a level I’ve only seen twice this year. So we shall see I’m just enjoying the ride.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Rivera said he thought that Turner was calling plays to protect Alex from getting hit. So, I wouldn’t put that on Alex, that was by design of the offensive coordinator bc they didn’t want Alex to get hit anymore.

I see why Turner was doing that. Alex was a dead duck and the Eagles knew it. At least Heinike would have a prayer to escape a rush and make a play off schedule. The main reason I thought they had to stick with Alex is because he usually limits the turnovers but that just hasn’t been the case. 
If I’m coaching the team I’m starting Alex and once the pain killing injection wears off (halftime last week) I’m going with Heinike. I wouldn’t rotate because that just kills the rhythm of both quarterbacks. 
Nate Sudfield was never going to get the game changing TD drive in the 4th. Brady will.

23 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I love this team and seeing Alex and this young group get a win would seriously be special. But we are going to have to essentially be the toughest team from not on and play mistake free football. Any team can win on any Sunday but this group is going to have to play on a level I’ve only seen twice this year. So we shall see I’m just enjoying the ride.

Having a more ground control operated offense I think is the key to victory. When we’ve had that we’ve won games this season. The correlation is clear.

Gibson had 19 rushes on Sunday for 75 yards. Also, we had Steve Sims take a jet sweep for 18 yards and also Barber had 10 yards rushing and continued to have multiple first down runs on 3rd down as he has all year which is huge for our offense to move the chains.

If we can run the ball w/ Gibson, McKissic, jet sweeps w/ Steven Smith and the hard yards w/ Barber then we have a great chance to win this game. If we can’t run the ball, we’ll lose.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

I see why Turner was doing that. Alex was a dead duck and the Eagles knew it. At least Heinike would have a prayer to escape a rush and make a play off schedule. The main reason I thought they had to stick with Alex is because he usually limits the turnovers but that just hasn’t been the case. 

If I’m coaching the team I’m starting Alex and once the pain killing injection wears off (halftime last week) I’m going with Heinike. I wouldn’t rotate because that just kills the rhythm of both quarterbacks. 
Nate Sudfield was never going to get the game changing TD drive in the 4th. Brady will.

I’m not talking about rotating QBs. I’m saying you start Alex and the only way you go to Heinicke is if Alex can’t go. I know Alex has had some head scratching turnovers this year - which he usually doesn’t have - but also the int from when he threw to McKissic was more an unfortunate break and a great play by the Phila DB than an awful decision or something; especially if Alex had thrown the ball a foot or two lower to where McKissic didn’t have to jump for it.

I will add that I get the feeling that the love for Heinicke is the classic case of fans loving the back up more than the starter who has been struggling some. There’s a warped view of Heinicke right now in WFT Nation bc he made some plays against the Panthers soft zone two weeks ago when the Panthers were just trying to protect their lead and get the win.

I’m not trying to put Heinicke down but to just put this in perspective. I don’t think Heinicke is a better option than Alex even if Alex isn’t close to being the 100% that Alex could currently be. I don’t think Heinicke makes either of those TD passes that Alex made last game.

For me, I wanted Heinicke to come in the game in the 2nd half last week to mostly just hand the ball off and take snaps from under center to run out the clock bc Alex was struggling to do that with his calf injury.

As far as Brady goes, he’d only make game changing/winning plays in the 4th quarter if our DL and Bostic or Holcomb if they’re blitzing, don’t get home and pressure or sack Tom.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not talking about rotating QBs. I’m saying you start Alex and the only way you go to Heinicke is if Alex can’t go. I know Alex has had some head scratching turnovers this year - which he usually doesn’t have - but also the int when he threw to McKissic as more unfortunate and a great play by the Phila DB than an awful decision or something; especially if Alex had thrown the ball a foot or two lower to where McKissic didn’t have to jump for it.

I will add that I get that feeling that the love for Heinicke is the classic case of fans loving the back up more than the starter who has been struggling some. There’s a warped view of Heinicke right now in WFT Nation bc he made some plays against the Panthers soft zone two weeks ago when the Panthers were just trying to protect their lead and get the win.

I’m not trying to put Heinicke down but just put this in perspective. I don’t think Heinicke is a better option than Alex even if Alex isn’t close to being the 100% that Alex could currently be. I don’t think Heinicke makes either of those TD passes that Alex made last game.

For me, I wanted Heinicke to come in the game in the 2nd half last week to just hand the ball off and take snaps from under center to run out the clock bc given Alex’s calf injury he’s struggling to do that.

As far as Brady goes, he’d only make game changing/winning plays in the 4th quarter if our DL and Bostic or Holcomb if they’re blitzing don’t get home and pressure or sack Tom.

I’d rather not see Heinike at all. Couple drive against a prevent D didn’t impress me all that much. To ask him to come in and face Tom Brady in a playoff game is too much to ask of the kid. My bottom line is if Alex plays the way he did last week they’ll lose and Heinike is the only option.