Playoffs - Wild Card Round

Leader

5 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

yup, surprisingly competitive game by WFT, but now its time to cheer on the Bears. 

I want the Saints to win. They will knock the Bucs out of the playoffs, and the Packers will get to play a beat up Rams team. Then we take care of business against the Saints in Lambeau. Super Bowl!

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be a d*ck here. This is an earnest question. Y'all have a D that looks great on paper. But statistically, you were fringe top 10. Why isn't it better? Kenny Clark is a monster. The two Smiths are a very good edge duo. Jaire is a top 3 CB. Your other DBs aren't terrible (as far as I recall). Why isn't your defense closer to #1?

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not trying to be a d*ck here. This is an earnest question. Y'all have a D that looks great on paper. But statistically, you were fringe top 10. Why isn't it better? Kenny Clark is a monster. The two Smiths are a very good edge duo. Jaire is a top 3 CB. Your other DBs aren't terrible (as far as I recall). Why isn't your defense closer to #1?

Coordinator is the main issue.   Tends to play soft, off coverage.  Light on the DL beside Clark so can get run on. 

Sum of the parts not quite as good as the supposed individual pieces.

@jrry32

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Coordinator is the main issue.   Tends to play soft, off coverage.  Light on the DL beside Clark so can get run on. 

@jrry32

Basically. Inside linebackers were a weak spot most of the season but have improved somewhat late in the season

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

King gets picked on, Preston Smith has had a bad year, ILB has been a rotation and we need a better DLman next to Clark.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Great question. Kenrick almost verbatim said what I was going to say. Every unit (except ILB which is avg and Safety which is strong) has one great player and then a bunch of avg players at best. But, hey, adding Snacks might help a wee bit on Run defense as other than Clark, we lacked beef in the middle (our defense is built/schemed to stop the pass first and foremost, hence a more bend but not break vibe). They have been improving alot over the course of the season, especially against the run. Snacks Harrison will hopefully improve it even more--hopefully, no given.

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Because our mentality is to play soft. 
Talent is there. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Clark also missed a few games with a groin injury.  Not sure how healthy he was when he came back.  They've been a much better overall d the last bit of the season.  We'll see how they hold up.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

If our D plays like a Top 10 D we’re gonna go to the Super Bowl. We don’t need to be #1 or even close. Top 10 gets us to the Owl and then all bets are off. 

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

@jrry32

Let's hope Snacks can add to Clark on the DL to stuff the run.