Josh Allen Appreciation Thread

BayRaider

54 minutes ago, VanS said:

I compared him to Matt Stafford and thought he would be a Pro Bowler who puts up some numbers but throws a lot of picks and doesn't win much.  Definitely missed on him.  But I did recognize he had some talent.  Didn't think he would be 1st ballot Hall of Famer good though. 

The throws he makes up are normally ones that people can’t make. I similarly thought that he’d throw a lot of picks, although once I broke down the numbers the inaccuracy label just didn’t make sense. 

You probably would’ve thought the same way about Brett Favre.

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

Oooof, whaaat a whiff haha! That's a tough one

You win some and you lose some.  I don't really expect to hit on everyone.  I just know that most of the guys I am extremely passionate about I tend to get right.  So while some great players might slip through my fingers, if I have a strong feeling a player will be special, they tend to be special.  Also if I have a strong feeling someone will be a bust, they tend to go that way as well.  I think the high profile players I have pegged as busts have gotten me more criticism here than anything else.  We'll see how it turns out.  But I have staked a lot on arguably the most hyped players from the 2020 draft.  I am on the record of not being sold on Joe Burrow, Chase Young, and Justin Herbert.  I don't think any of the three end up being superstars.  And I do feel strongly about that position.  So we'll see how that turns out.

1 minute ago, VanS said:

You win some and you lose some.  I don't really expect to hit on everyone.  I just know that most of the guys I am extremely passionate about I tend to get right.  So while some great players might slip through my fingers, if I have a strong feeling a player will be special, they tend to be special.  Also if I have a strong feeling someone will be a bust, they tend to go that way as well.  I think the high profile players I have pegged as busts have gotten me more criticism here than anything else.  We'll see how it turns out.  But I have staked a lot on arguably the most hyped players from the 2020 draft.  I am on the record of not being sold on Joe Burrow, Chase Young, and Justin Herbert.  I don't think any of the three end up being superstars.  And I do feel strongly about that position.  So we'll see how that turns out.

Holy God that is way longer of a reply than I was looking to get into. I gotta go order a sub sandwich and I still haven't decided on a club or an Italian, so have a good Sunday

37 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Well a lot of people doubted he could fix the accuracy issues. Turns out Vans was right just needed better talent who can catch the football and get open. 

If you look in the Brian Daboll thread, it's so much more than the quality of targets. It was a lot of work in the off-season, refining technique, correcting mechanics and working with Daboll and Jordan Palmer.

He improved his accuracy, yes. But it's much more layered than simply looking at the WRs he's throwing to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If you look in the Brian Daboll thread, it's so much more than the quality of targets. It was a lot of work in the off-season, refining technique, correcting mechanics and working with Daboll and Jordan Palmer.

He improved his accuracy, yes. But it's much more layered than simply looking at the WRs he's throwing to.

Well of course, the guy had talent just a question on whether he’d work on it enough to fulfill his potential. It looks like he’s well on his way 

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Well of course, the guy had talent just a question on whether he’d work on it enough to fulfill his potential. It looks like he’s well on his way 

I can agree - that's why he was the 7th pick in the draft.

38 minutes ago, VanS said:

You also had Justin Jefferson as a second round pick and the two University of Tennessee WR’s as first round picks including comparing one to DeAndre Hopkins. 

22 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You also had Justin Jefferson as a second round pick and the two University of Tennessee WR’s as first round picks including comparing one to DeAndre Hopkins. 

True.  But I always update my evaluations when I'm wrong.  Justin Jefferson looks better than I thought.  Though I doubt he's gonna be an elite perennial pro bowl type.  And I'm also still high on Callaway and Jennings though they might never be as good as Jefferson.  With Joe Burrow, Chase Young, and Justin Herbert, I'm still not sold on them even after what most would consider successful rookie seasons.  That's what I meant by positions I am passionate about.

Predraft evaluations are hit or miss.  I was talking more about when I stick to my guns about a guy being good or bad even after they make it to the league and have success or struggle early on (i.e. Baker Mayfield vs Josh Allen & Lamar Jackson after their rookie seasons).  For example, I was not sold on Baker after his rookie year but was tremendously high on Allen and Lamar despite them not having the start Baker did. 

Edited by VanS

Just now, VanS said:

True.  But I always update my evaluations when I'm wrong.  Justin Jefferson looks better than I thought.  Though I doubt he's gonna be an elite perennial pro bowl type.  I'm also still high on Callaway and Jennings.

With Joe Burrow, Chase Young, and Justin Herbert, I'm still not sold on them even after what most would consider successful rookie seasons.  That's what I meant by positions I am passionate about.

Predraft evaluations are hit or miss.  I was talking more about when I stick to my guns about a guy being good or bad even after they make it to the league and have success or struggle early on (i.e. Baker Mayfield vs Josh Allen & Lamar Jackson after their rookie seasons).  For example, I was not sold on Baker after his rookie year but was tremendously high on Allen and Lamar. 

You’ve stuck to your guns on Dobbs and that hasn’t worked out. Keeping sticking bud.

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

You’ve stuck to your guns on Dobbs and that hasn’t worked out. Keeping sticking bud.

True.  But there's still time.  The fact I am still holding out should let you know how highly I still think of him.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:08 PM, Jaire_Island said:

He has improved by leaps and bounds.. But he almost lost the game for them.

He can’t do terrible mistakes like fumbling the ball and loosing 23 yards when they were in FG range.

At that point Colts has 1 TO with 2:35 minutes left in the 4th qtr and they are 1st down.

**** happens. You live or die by the kid's ambition. That's clear to me at this point. Dude was magic for 99.9% of that game. Incredible throws that only two other QBs in the league can make (Mahomes & Rodgers). What a gem.