Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

On 3/21/2021 at 12:16 AM, Broncofan said:

Either way, I suspect this will get resolved in 2021 - the question is simply when. 

The more that comes out... the less I think this will be resolved any time soon.

On 3/21/2021 at 8:02 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t think we trade him. I think we make him sit out the season and go bankrupt 

I think he's admitted defeat at this point. He had a road path to getting to whatever team he wanted to go to before this news came out, but that's gone. Apparently he just took a flight out of Houston, there is a chance he never takes another foot in this city. 

The cards are all on the Texans side. I think we trade him but only because several FRP's for a player that is under NFL investigation and probably is going to be suspended is a steal.

Edited by Drained

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The more that comes out... the less I think this will be resolved any time soon.

Since this doesn’t address the plaintiffs but more the process and tactics used and what it means going forward for the case - your fans may find this helpful.  

If it’s too OT from football impact  feel free to take it down but it’s a sports lawyer who actually does this area so take it FWIW.  I found it very helpful as a layperson.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Since this doesn’t address the plaintiffs but more the process and tactics used and what it means going forward for the case - your fans may find this helpful.  

If it’s too OT from football impact  feel free to take it down but it’s a sports lawyer who actually does this area so take it FWIW.  I found it very helpful as a layperson.  

This is OT but I want to say that no matter what Buzbee does, he is well-known in Houston law circles and is a very successful lawyer, super legit, fought against BP when they flooded the gulf with oil. Just remember that in these cases, how Buzbee is conducting himself is normal, I mean, lol, Watson's lawyer Rusty Hardin used to go on national TV and game shows to make his clients look good. 

ET is open to delete this as well if it is too OT but I just wanted to clarify beforehand.

Edited by Drained

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Since this doesn’t address the plaintiffs but more the process and tactics used and what it means going forward for the case - your fans may find this helpful

At this point, I've heard just about every single angle that's out there. This is getting more coverage than Enron back in the 00s, it's literally the biggest news coming out of Houston since the sign stealing scandal.

I'm thinking beyond the process. At this point, if even ONE of these allegations are true (let alone all 22) then... I don't know what to think or feel.

I don't think anyone can wave this off because you don't like the guy who is presenting this case, or you don't like his tactics in bringing this to light. That doesn't change what may or may not have happened between Watson and the people bringing these charges up. If you're looking at 22 potential people who are all bringing a similar story to the table, there's smoke to this fire...

...and if the commissioner is going to suspend Zeke Elliot for Shark Attacking a lady at a parade, you better believe this is going to be dealt a very stiff response.

43 minutes ago, ET80 said:

At this point, I've heard just about every single angle that's out there. This is getting more coverage than Enron back in the 00s, it's literally the biggest news coming out of Houston since the sign stealing scandal.

I'm thinking beyond the process. At this point, if even ONE of these allegations are true (let alone all 22) then... I don't know what to think or feel.

I don't think anyone can wave this off because you don't like the guy who is presenting this case, or you don't like his tactics in bringing this to light. That doesn't change what may or may not have happened between Watson and the people bringing these charges up. If you're looking at 22 potential people who are all bringing a similar story to the table, there's smoke to this fire...

...and if the commissioner is going to suspend Zeke Elliot for Shark Attacking a lady at a parade, you better believe this is going to be dealt a very stiff response.

Without going too OT on this, I will add that the affidavits are public record and all sounds eerily similar. To your point, I don't think that the number of people who've come forward with similar stories is coincidence, but we'll see how it all plays out. I will say the Tyrod Taylor signing looks tons better. Even if he's only a fringe starter, I'm ok if we suck next year to get a great draft pick in 2022. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

C'mon @ET80... TWSS

Sorry... trying to INJECT some levity to this very serious situation

• Like 2

FWIW - for those that point to the league's past record and inconsistency in their penalties for personal conduct - keep in mind that as per new CBA revisions in 2020 - the Commish is NOT the final judge & jury - but this now falls under a league & NFLPA-approved arbitrator.   That's actually good news all around - the league doesn't have the appearance of bias, and someone who has actual experience/qualifications in decisions is in charge - and impartial, as well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/cba-would-hand-most-discipline-decisions-to-neutral-decision-maker/

On 3/21/2021 at 8:02 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t think we trade him. I think we make him sit out the season and go bankrupt 

This is now a major talking point. If Watson is forced to write several settlement checks, he won't have the liquidity to absorb fines from missing activities. And, given the shot his reputation is taking, that projected $300mm in endorsements out in NJ isn't happening...

This is just discussing the atmosphere as is, without league intervention - if Watson is put on the Exempt list, he loses game checks. If Watson is suspended, he loses game checks AND the Texans have the ability to claw back all of his guaranteed money (we've seen the Jaguars do this with Leonard Fournette and the Texans do this with Bradley Roby).

So, in essence - if Watson gets suspended for this, he's financially ruined. He'd have to pay the Texans before any further conversations on potential trade destinations continue.

i wouldnt be surprised if we traded him for peanuts during the draft, this team doesnt care about winning as much as it does it's image. Now Cal has the perfect opportunity to dump him and be a hero in the eyes of fans

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This is now a major talking point. If Watson is forced to write several settlement checks, he won't have the liquidity to absorb fines from missing activities. And, given the shot his reputation is taking, that projected $300mm in endorsements out in NJ isn't happening...

This is just discussing the atmosphere as is, without league intervention - if Watson is put on the Exempt list, he loses game checks. If Watson is suspended, he loses game checks AND the Texans have the ability to claw back all of his guaranteed money (we've seen the Jaguars do this with Leonard Fournette and the Texans do this with Bradley Roby).

So, in essence - if Watson gets suspended for this, he's financially ruined. He'd have to pay the Texans before any further conversations on potential trade destinations continue.

If placed on the commissioners exempt list while the NFL inquire/investigates he is still paid. Not that it is here or there, but he can essentially be forced to "sit out" and still be due his contract. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/what-is-the-reserve-commissioner-exempt-list-0ap3000000396169

Depending on how he has saved or invested his money he could still be financially stable. Deshaun is talented so some team(s) will give you a chance barring banishment from the league. As Jimmy Johnson explained after cutting a so-so linebacker who fell asleep in a meeting, if it had been Troy Aikman I'd wake him up.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

If placed on the commissioners exempt list while the NFL inquire/investigates he is still paid. Not that it is here or there, but he can essentially be forced to "sit out" and still be due his contract. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/what-is-the-reserve-commissioner-exempt-list-0ap3000000396169

Wow, thanks for this information. I am surprised Deandre Baker continued collecting a check during his investigation...

So, if I'm Watson - I'm hoping for this as a backup to getting traded, IMO.

Depending on how he has saved or invested his money he could still be financially stable.

I think someone did the math and found out that Watson sitting this season, it would cost him close to $22mm in fines - now if you take Spotrac's figure of $40mm in cash earnings to date (not factoring in any outside fees from agents, handlers, private QB coaches, etc) you're looking at nearly half of his wealth while in the league (if he made money at Clemson, that changes the math a bit).

Deshaun is talented so some team(s) will give you a chance barring banishment from the league.

Oh, I don't disagree - but if he's suspended by the league, the pendulum swings to the Texans in this power struggle. If the Texans can claw back portions of salary, they'll absolutely do it.

56 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Wow, thanks for this information. I am surprised Deandre Baker continued collecting a check during his investigation...

So, if I'm Watson - I'm hoping for this as a backup to getting traded, IMO.

I think someone did the math and found out that Watson sitting this season, it would cost him close to $22mm in fines - now if you take Spotrac's figure of $40mm in cash earnings to date (not factoring in any outside fees from agents, handlers, private QB coaches, etc) you're looking at nearly half of his wealth while in the league (if he made money at Clemson, that changes the math a bit).

Oh, I don't disagree - but if he's suspended by the league, the pendulum swings to the Texans in this power struggle. If the Texans can claw back portions of salary, they'll absolutely do it.

It is an unfortunate situation regardless how you look at it, someone(s) is currently being or has been victimized. If the Texans claw back portions of his salary for good reason and in "good faith"  as opposed to just putting the squeeze on Watson, I can't fault them for that. Everyone will have an opinion on it and the motivation behind it, if/when it happens. 

As to financial stability, I meant it relatively speaking, Deshaun at half his wealth I'd wager is still pretty financially stable compared to most people depending on how he has spent/saved/invested. Your point is definitely valid though, it would be a giant punch in the junk regardless. 

On a side note it makes you wonder (or me at least) about contracts where players convert money to signing bonus to spread out the hit and provide relief to the team. If that player then engages in conduct detrimental to the team it would seem logical that the team could then claw back that converted signing bonus.   

• Like 1