Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

I see some real ludicrous stuff getting posted here. Cut Haden and sign an over-the-hill JJ Watt because...why exactly? Did people watch his actual performance last year? Watt isn't some missing piece that will push this defense over the top.

Keeping Dupree is the single best move they can make for the defense if you want it elite.

41 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I see some real ludicrous stuff getting posted here. Cut Haden and sign an over-the-hill JJ Watt because...why exactly? Did people watch his actual performance last year? Watt isn't some missing piece that will push this defense over the top.

Keeping Dupree is the single best move they can make for the defense if you want it elite.

I think Watt’s counting stats didn’t look great because he was the only half way decent player on Houston’s front seven. I think he’ll look a lot better on a talented defense. I don’t think he is as talented as his DPOY days, but I don’t think he’s bound for the glue factory. 

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Watt’s counting stats didn’t look great because he was the only half way decent player on Houston’s front seven. I think he’ll look a lot better on a talented defense. I don’t think he is as talented as his DPOY days, but I don’t think he’s bound for the glue factory. 

That's great. I don't think you are getting more bang for you buck adding a rotational piece to the DL over a starting member of the secondary or Bud Dupree.

And people suggesting that they retire Ben to make the cap room? Yea, they aren't going to get a much better defensive performance than the one they got in 2019. Building up the defense to turn the keys of the offense over to Mason Rudolph is a recipe for a losing season.

39 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He was also the edge player doubled at the highest rate.

EDIT: 

I would think most everyone in here would agree if he comes its gonna end up needing to be at a discount and we an't offer what other teams are gonna offer.  For him to come here I think you need to lean into the "just for one year with your brothers" hard and hope he values that over a 1-year $10mil payday.  Maybe you can pitch him on he could have a 10+ sack year here so taking less can get him a bigger 2 year deal.

Edited by warfelg

23 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

That's great. I don't think you are getting more bang for you buck adding a rotational piece to the DL over a starting member of the secondary or Bud Dupree.

And people suggesting that they retire Ben to make the cap room? Yea, they aren't going to get a much better defensive performance than the one they got in 2019. Building up the defense to turn the keys of the offense over to Mason Rudolph is a recipe for a losing season.

VS what exactly?  Bring back a 39 year old QB, push his cap hit into future that he won't be around for, while replacing the LT, OC, LG, ROLB, and losing a WR, TE, RB?

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

VS what exactly?  Bring back a 39 year old QB, push his cap hit into future that he won't be around for, while replacing the LT, OC, LG, ROLB, and losing a WR, TE, RB?

JJ Watt is a short term sign for a team on the cusp hoping they get more out of him than the Texans did last year. The Steelers are already paying two DE's, will be paying the other Watt, and have their own homegrown players to re-sign. The notion of letting Ben go to then go sign him is the dumbest suggestion yet in this entire thread. If Ben is forced out, you are saying that you have given up on winning a championship in 2022 for all intents and purposes. You aren't even really competing for the post-season, but you want to sign an overpriced DE on his last legs...

Yea, it's dumb. Almost as dumb as suggesting that Tomlin takes all the blame for his players a few pages back, but I let that one slide.

For me, Ben not being here and JJ Watt being here are 2 very separate things.

JJ Watt is a player I've always enjoyed watching so the idea of him being here excites me.

Ben, he has done a lot for this organization. And If he retires there is going to be 'growing pains' but I believe it's time to make the transition 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

For me, Ben not being here and JJ Watt being here are 2 very separate things.

JJ Watt is a player I've always enjoyed watching so the idea of him being here excites me.

Ben, he has done a lot for this organization. And If he retires there is going to be 'growing pains' but I believe it's time to make the transition 

That about sums up my thoughts as well.

My newest Mock Draft

1. Samuel Cosmi, Texas, OT
2. Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma, Center
3. Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State, RB
4a. Chris Rumph JR, Duke, Edge
4b. Ta'Quon Graham, Texas, NT
6a. Benjamin St-Juste, Minnesota, CB
6b. Max Duffy    Kentucky, Punter
7a. T.J. Vasher, Texas Tech, WR
7b. Tre' McKitty, Georgia, TE

• Like 1