Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

23 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I was hoping Carlos Davis, Isaiah Buggs. or Henry Mondeaux would be given the keys at NT this year.  I guess the staff doesnt have faith in them.

Never saw anything out of any of them that would make me confident they are anything more than career backups.

Mondeaux was laughably bad most of the times I watched him.    He got put on the ground almost as much as Sean Mahan.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’d be more into it if Ben were gone. But with Ben still here it doesn’t make sense to have his only year of play to be on the 5th year option and potentially have to tag him without seeing any growth. 

Me too.  Do the coaching staff think we're going to be competitive this year? 

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

I cant see us competing for anything but a wildcard and another early playoff defeat.    Thats BEST case IMO.

Yup.  Like I said, this year is gonna be fun as all the people that clamored for Ben to be back because we could get to the playoffs will almost be a complete circle venn diagram of people who will complain about a first round exit.

• Like 3

You guys seem more optimistic than I am, I can see us only winning 4-5 games. We’ve done very little to improve our run game, we’ve lost several key players from the defense, and we have a coach who doesn’t understand the meaning of insanity and thinks he can keep doing the same things and something will change. As it stands right now our offense may look the same as the last 6 games of the season with Ben dinking and dunking 50 times a game and no running game, and we know how that story ends. We’ll see what happens in the draft, but right now we’re pinning our hopes on an OT coming back from an acl, a new center, DD returning to form, I just don’t see it. Sure hope I’m wrong but not looking forward to next season at all. 

I’m still confused at why so many fans are against making playoffs - regardless of round you believe we exit. This is a sarcastic question, but do you guys not watch a lot of football? 

Any given Sunday is a very real thing. The main thing you need to do it get to the dance. The Steelers are the best example of that - being a better team the last two years and getting beat both times. (Edit: last two playoff appearances, not years) 

Browns beat us, took it to KC with a hobbled line AND they lost Mahomes in the game but barely lost. The Jags SQUEAKED by a pretty Bad Bills team, caught us completely off guard, and then nearly beat the Pats. Look at the Titans last year. The Eagles with Foles. Remember if it wasn’t for the dumbest non-called give up slide against Manning and the eventually super bowl champion Broncos the Steelers would have been in the AFC championship and gotten there WITHOUT Bell and Brown. Remember the beast mode/Saints game? 

Every year there are upsets or a funky team making a run. The best on paper teams do not always win. Taylor Heinike nearly took down the eventually Champs just last year.

I don’t understand turning your nose up at getting to the playoffs, like it’s a bad thing. Get there. See what happens. Maybe Najee Harris is an all pro and the OLine gels. Maybe Bens demise is over exaggerated by end of the season recency bias. Maybe turning over 3 starters on defense to 3 players who started multiple games last year isn’t a nightmare? 

The NFL is not the NBA or the MLB where in order to get good you have to be bad. So I’ll never hop on board with the “at best we are a wild card team”. Well, then at best we can win the super bowl so buck up soldiers! 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1

They should really look to trade for Orlando Brown to play LT.

I'd do a first and James Washington and maybe another pick to get him. Sure will help the run game. 

Then draft Javonte Williams, Trey Hill, and a corner. 

Trade a late pick for Taylor Rapp to replace the run stuffing, pass rushing role of Hilton.