Will Tomlin start to feel any heat after playoff loss?

Uncle Buck

As the original poster of this thread, I should say that I don't think Mike Tomlin should be fired after this loss.  He has been very successful for a long time.  I was just interested in hearing people's thoughts about whether there should even be any talk about the possibility at this point. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

As the original poster of this thread, I should say that I don't think Mike Tomlin should be fired after this loss.  He has been very successful for a long time.  I was just interested in hearing people's thoughts about whether there should even be any talk about the possibility at this point. 

At what point will people realize this exact talking point has turned into hyperbole regarding Tomlin?

He’s won 3 playoff games the last 10 years. One being against the Matt Moore Dolphins. If that’s being “very successful” for a “long time” then half the coaches in this league have been “very successful for a long time”.

I think it’s more accurate to say it’s BEEN a long time since he’s been very successful.

Idk as a Ravens fan I honestly hope they keep him...they’ve underachieved for years and years with the teams they’ve had imo.

Feels like at this point Tomlin’s just been grandfathered in to the “great coach” tier for whatever reason regardless of what his team does relative to their talent every year lol. 

Edited by Ray Reed

3 hours ago, 43M said:

What exactly are we taking for granted?    Most Steeler fans know you can do worse than Tonlin, but at what point do you stop using that as an excuse to POSSIBLY get better?

Who's better? Who's out there continually winning playoff games that you're going to get? Or are you saying they need someone with no resume who may have a chance to win playoff games because Tomlin is 3-6 in the playoffs the last 10 years (which A- isn't remarkably terrible compared to avg playoff success in the league and B- a specifically nitpicked stat to exclude his 5-2 record in the playoffs prior)? Who's better out there?

If grabbing a coach to get you playoff wins was so easy, why wouldn't Detroit and Jacksonville just go do it real quick? Instead, those are the teams continually taking the "blow it up" approach. Continuity is severely underrated in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Okay...you basically just made an argument against yourself here, so lets move on...

No, you are clearly having trouble reading as you demonstrate later by misinterpreting my "AT BEST" statement.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I adressed this logic in another post I made, so Im not getting into it again...but Tomlin has done nothing notable in 10 years.   3 playoff wins and his teams have consistently underperformed.   An actual great coach couldve done more with the talent he had to work with.

Literally all youve done is bring up his regular season success and ignored how much he has held this team back at times.

Literally, you're ignoring the bulk of his work for a super limited sample size because he's broken your heart in some big spots. He's done nothing notable in 10 years? Tomlin went 12-4 JUST THIS YEAR. He went 8-8 with Mason Freakin' Rudolph just last year. Even Bill Belichick had a losing season this year and he had Cam Newton.

I know you are going to counter with "but the playoffs" (because that is essentially your entire argument), but it's really just the last two trips (where they had higher expectations because they were 13 + 12 win teams). He's had two bad losses against JAX + CLE. Prior to that, he was in the AFC Championship game losing to the SB Pats. Year before he loses a close game in the division to the SB Broncos.  

It's such a small sample size to willfully ignore the rest of his career because, again, Steelers fans take making the playoffs (and apparently playoff success) for granted because they've been fortunate enough to have top tier head coaches and continuity in their organization for many years.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Try doing some research about reason why Steeler fans are fed up with him....because you haven't really addressed anything except telling us we should settle fro Tomlin because he has a good regular season record.

Not sure why the condescending approach pretending like I have done zero research on the matter. I simply disagree with your shortsighted argument. All you have done here is ignore the breadth of his body of work to nitpick 6 losses over a specific timeline to argue in favor of dropping a top 5 coach because you aren't a dynasty. I disagree with that.

He is clearly a good enough coach to win a Super Bowl, so I don't understand dropping him because "he hasn't won one lately", which is essentially your entire argument. If you think you can do better in FA, then fair game - I just don't see it. 

• Like 1

I hope he feels heat and ends up getting fired.

I remember when Ravens fans were talking about firing Harbaugh after 2017. I was praying they would... but nope. Drafted Lamar and the rest is history.

AFC North teams: fire your good coaches, please. Nothing would make Browns fans happier. The journey to finding a new competent head coach could be long and daunting.

Edited by Vee-Rex

13 hours ago, Soggust said:

Not sure why the condescending approach pretending like I have done zero research on the matter. I simply disagree with your shortsighted argument.

I started replying to your entire post last night, but I lost it, so Ill just stick to this last part since it sums most of it up.

First off, call it whatever you want,  but you simply clearly havent done research.   You keep on saying Steeler fans take him for granted, yet the basis for your entire argument is bringing up his regular season success and success from over 10 years ago.

Secondly, if you bothered to actually do the research...you would know I havent pushed for him to be fired.  I just said he should be on the hot seat.   I know its not easy to find a good coach....but that doesn't mean you have to stay with one that isnt moving the team forward.  This team has become stale and predictable under Tomlin....and Tomlin is not a very adaptable coach.

Shortsighted?   He has been here 13 years and has only regressed as a coach.   He never learns from past mistakes.   His teams CONSTANTLY underperform.   How exactly is that shortsighted?   

Beyond that, I spent 10 or 11 years DEFENDING Tomlin the way you are.

That time has passed.

All you have done here is ignore the breadth of his body of work to nitpick 6 losses over a specific timeline to argue in favor of dropping a top 5 coach because you aren't a dynasty. I disagree with that.

I havent ignored anything.  You are acting like what he accomplished 12 years ago with Cowhers players is relevant today.    Im talking about his most recent resume and the coach he is TODAY.

According to your logic....maybe we should sign Ben to a 5 year extension.   Sure, he has regressed and isnt really starting caliber anymore, but hey...he was pretty good 12 years ago.

I dont care that we arent a dynasty.   I care that this team hasnt progressed under Tomlin.   I care that the same issues we had 10 years ago are the same issues we have today because Tomlin doesnt learn or grow as a coach.

He just chants "The standard is the standard" and says the team will regroup and bounce back....yet still fails in the same areas year after year and refuses to change.

He is clearly a good enough coach to win a Super Bowl, so I don't understand dropping him because "he hasn't won one lately", which is essentially your entire argument. If you think you can do better in FA, then fair game - I just don't see it. 

He won one SB with Cowhers players and  LeBeau running a historically good defense....12 years ago.  Its well known early on that Tomlin didn't have a ton of control.

Again, I never said fire him immediately.  I said he should be on the hotseat.   Forget about regular season and postseason....he is a deeply flawed coach that hasnt grown much and hasnt done anything notable in recent memory.    

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I started replying to your entire post last night, but I lost it, so Ill just stick to this last part since it sums most of it up.

First off, call it whatever you want,  but you simply clearly havent done research.   You keep on saying Steeler fans take him for granted, yet the basis for your entire argument is bringing up his regular season success and success from over 10 years ago.

Secondly, if you bothered to actually do the research...

Stopped reading here. Argue with yourself kid. 

I like the Steelers, luckily you and I won't have to make this decision so we can agree to disagree.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:06 PM, NeptunePenguins said:

I don't think he will given that loss is mostly kind of a weird game in general with Big Ben's ints and such. 

It's hard to know.  It was indeed a weird game.  Also, maybe it was the straw that broke the camel's back.  We'll know in the coming month what the Steelers plans are going forward.  If the Steelers do let go of Tomlin & Big Ben, what do you think of Jim Caldwell?

I don’t know if Tomlin is to blame. Pouncey and Ben straight up gave that game away in like the first two plays.

the only thing that would cause  Tomlin to go would be if the Steelers brass didn’t like the current culture. However, I don’t think this is a new trend - the Steelers have always been cocky blowhards it’s just the kids these days are dialled in to social media and so it’s readily available for them to have a platform to voice themselves. I don’t see the current Steeler attitude as anything new but instead it’s just a natural evolution of their brand with technology.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

Weren't we just talking about Tomlin being Coach of the Year last year? And now he needs to be on the hot seat after beating the Ravens and Browns for the AFCN title? I don't think so. He's a proven HC. He might need to rework things to get back into the SB, but he hasn't shown he won't or doesn't have the ability to.