Future QB Discussion

G08

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This would be ideal really. We get a highly rated QB and don't have to give up any future picks..

I can definitely see Jones dropping if he doesn't go to SF...which I think was always a BS rumor anyway

We'll find out shortly 

I was just saying this in another thread... if Jones doesn't go #3, does he fall to #20? And if he does, do we take him?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I don’t think the Bridgewater or Darnold trades necessarily takes either Denver or Carolina out of the running to take a QB in round 1.  Neither Teddy nor Darnold are guys you can count on.  Denver i think is less likely since they still have Lock who, by everything I’ve read from Allbright, they still have faith in.  But i won’t feel comfortable until they actually make their picks.

If Denver still goes QB after the Bridgewater trade, would people have any interest trading for Lock? You’d probably be able to get him for a mid-late round pick and would bring a decent amount of upside at a lesser cost than Mond/Mills/Trask. 

6 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Normally I’d agree with you, but what we saw from NE this free agency was so out of character for them.  BB can’t be coaching too much longer and i don’t think he wants to take the time to develop a mid round QB.

Agreed.  That would be very out of character for him.  Today's rumor had NE interested in Fields if SF doesn't take him which if SF takes Lance means Jones may be the one falling out of the top ten but how far would be the question.

By tomorrow at this time we'll all know.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I was just saying this in another thread... if Jones doesn't go #3, does he fall to #20? And if he does, do we take him?

If he's the guy they want you'd have to think so.

So many people see so many different things with him and have developed such diverse opinions he may be that big surprise pick who falls much farther than expected much like Rodgers once did.

Maybe it's an omen.  LOL

Denver and Carolina are very much still in the QB race.  Teddy and Darnold are merely fail-safe options in case the draft doesn't fall their way.

If they can't get a QB in the draft that they feel comfortable drafting at the time based on their charts and preconceived range (i.e not reaching and giving up a 7 or 9 for Mac Jones in favor of a better prospect who is available), then both of those QBs (Teddy/Darnold) are much better options than what they would've had if they had NOT made those deals. 

It's the same with Dalton. Signing Dalton doesn't put the Bears out of contention. It's a "just in case **** happens".

Never underestimate the lengths a GM will go to hide their true intentions during the pre-draft season.  

Carolina paid Teddy 33M to play 14 mediocre games to prove that playing with a stacked deck in NO wasn't a fluke and he wet the bed and Denver knows this.  Don't think for a second they still ain't looking for a long-term replacement.  
Same with Carolina. Darnold was only given a one-year contract worth 4M and no strings attached so it's not like they're suddenly tied at the hip to him.  Hell, they would still save 400k to release him at any time. 

Fitchner's entering his 1st year as a GM and is looking to make a mark in the league and there's no way in hell he's banking on Sam Darnold to make him look like a genius.

Plus, people tend to forget how important backup QBs really are and maybe that's what he's thinking with Darnold (which I think is fine). 

They could still start the season with Darnold and then start the rookie if he fails.

Sure, giving up a 2nd and 4th RD picks and 4M is alot to pay for a backup QB but we've seen MUCH worse as Bears fans.  Remember when teams/fans thought we were out of the QB running when we signed long neck to a 20M deal?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, soulman said:

And the other reason is a team drafting at #11 or #12 may be less hesitant to trade back to #20 than one at #6 or #7.  A top ten pick will get you one of the top ranked position players other than a QB.  #20 may get you the 3rd or 4th highest ranked guy at that position.

For example if the Giants at 11 is looking for an edge rusher, offensive tackle and maybe a corner and they're still 8 players they like still on the board why not move nine spots. More than likely someone they like will still be on the board and they just got another first round pick next year. 

• Like 1

Well what's in the news this AM?

1) SF still seemingly undecided on their pick.  Shanahan loves Mac Jones but Trey Lance may have narrowed the gap and others in the front office feel he should be their pick.

2) If SF doesn't take Jones how far will he slide?  NE has a few different irons in the fire ranging from a trade into the top ten for either Jones or Fields and even a report they're working out a contract and a deal with SF to reacquire Jimmy G.

3) Davis Mills turned some heads with an excellent Pro Day and slides into the #6 QB spot now projected to go early in round two.  Has he narrowed the gap between himself and Mac Jones?  The talent is there but his past injuries are still a concern.

Gonna be a very interesting evening.

Edited by soulman

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

For example if the Giants at 11 is looking for an edge rusher, offensive tackle and maybe a corner and they're still 8 players they like still on the board why not move nine spots. More than likely someone they like will still be on the board and they just got another first round pick next year. 

Dave Gettleman has literally never traded back in his 11 years as a GM

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, soulman said:

Well what's in the news this AM?

1) SF still seemingly undecided on their pick.  Shanahan loves Mac Jones but Trey Lance may have narrowed the gap and others in the front office feel he should be their pick.

2) If SF doesn't take Jones how far will he slide?  NE has a few different irons in the fire ranging from a trade into the top ten for either Jones or Fields and even a report they're working out a contract and a deal with SF to reacquire Jimmy G.

3) Blake Mills turned some heads with an excellent Pro Day and slides into the #6 QB spot now projected to go early in round two.  Has he narrowed the gap between himself and Mac Jones?  The talent is there but his past injuries are still a concern.

Gonna be a very interesting evening.

The very public waffling on QB from SF really makes me think they absolutely have their pick in mind.  Can you imagine being a team owner and calling the GM the day of the draft and asking if he's got his QB tiers done yet?  Crazy.  Best guess is they have Fields in mind and are just stirring up the mud to **** around. 

15 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

The very public waffling on QB from SF really makes me think they absolutely have their pick in mind.  Can you imagine being a team owner and calling the GM the day of the draft and asking if he's got his QB tiers done yet?  Crazy.  Best guess is they have Fields in mind and are just stirring up the mud to **** around. 

I don't think SF would have made the trade without having a specific prospect in mind.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think they made the move for Mac Jones and since then the scouting department is trying to talk Shannahan into Trey Lance.

But it is Shannahan who is on the line. I expect he goes with his gut.

I think there’s zero chance they don’t know who they’re taking. Frankly I think there’s zero chance there wasn’t certainty before the trade was even made. 

• Like 3