Future QB Discussion

G08

40 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

no. we need to figure out what we're doing with andy and nick. this is future qb discussion, not qb of the future discussion

Oh, well in that case Dalton gets most of the reps in camp and Nagy gets his *** prepared to run his offense more successfully than Mitch or Nick could.

Since Foles has more experience in this and similar schemes his job is to be big brother to Fields and teach him all the things an NFL QB needs to know.

If it works out like it's supposed to this time Fields should be ready to take over for good in 2022.  I would not push the issue of him starting this year at all.

I know this may disappoint some and one in particular but it's a huge jump from being a very good college QB to also being a very good pro QB so patience.

Fields has great skills but they're still the skills of a college QB who'll need some time to adjust to the NFL speed and coverages which are much tighter.

He could play but since we've already invested $10 mil in Dalton to be the 2021 starter follow through and keep the shiny new QB parked for awhile.

Edited by soulman

18 minutes ago, soulman said:

Oh, well in that case Dalton gets most of the reps in camp and Nagy gets his *** prepared to run his offense more successfully than Mitch or Nick could.

Since Foles has more experience in this and similar schemes his job is to be big brother to Fields and teach him all the things an NFL QB needs to know.

If it works out like it's supposed to this time Fields should be ready to take over for good in 2022.  I would not push the issue of him starting this year at all.

I know this may disappoint some and one in particular but it's a huge jump from being a very good college QB to also being a very good pro QB so patience.

Fields has great skills but they're still the skills of a college QB who'll need some time to adjust to the NFL speed and coverages which are much tighter.

He could play but since we've already invested $10 mil in Dalton to be the 2021 starter follow through and keep the shiny new QB parked for awhile.

Sitting Fields is all well and good, until these guys hit the Field and it's as clear as day that hes better than Dalton and Foles.  That's basically what happened with Mitch and Glennon.  Dalton has some pelts on the wall, so if he can win and keep winning he can keep Fields on the sideline like Alex Smith was able to do with Mahomes, but that's only if they are winning.  As soon as losses start to pile up, the players are going to demand the guy who gives them the best chance to win starts just like they did with Mitch.  In a perfect world, Dalton gets 10 wins, and the Fields only starts the final game of the season as the Bears prep for the playoffs.  But you can bet 3 losses in a row and dropping below .500 will push him into the lineup sooner than later.  They can not lose 6 straight bc the offense doesnt score TDs like last year and keep the players from wanting Fields.

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Sitting Fields is all well and good, until these guys hit the Field and it's as clear as day that hes better than Dalton and Foles.  That's basically what happened with Mitch and Glennon.  Dalton has some pelts on the wall, so if he can win and keep winning he can keep Fields on the sideline like Alex Smith was able to do with Mahomes, but that's only if they are winning.  As soon as losses start to pile up, the players are going to demand the guy who gives them the best chance to win starts just like they did with Mitch.  In a perfect world, Dalton gets 10 wins, and the Fields only starts the final game of the season as the Bears prep for the playoffs.  But you can bet 3 losses in a row and dropping below .500 will push him into the lineup sooner than later.  They can not lose 6 straight bc the offense doesnt score TDs like last year and keep the players from wanting Fields.

What if he's not clear as day better initially?  Fields is a very good college QB but college ain't the NFL and he'll need to process much faster and pull the trigger quicker than he typically had to do at OSU.  With most it's best if they sit and learn the NFL game first.  And if he is that much better you won't get any argument from me.

Dalton is a far better QB than Glennon and provided he gets the reps he needs in camp and preseason he should be able to carry the load and keep us competitive.  But it's not all about Dalton either.  Nagy still need to prove his schemes, game plans, and play calling deserve being kept on to develop our shiny new QB.  He's failed at it once.

Scoring is therefore as much on Nagy as it is on Dalton and his supporting cast and of course any significant injuries to the OL may also become a factor.  Fields will need good pass protection and run blocking just as much as Dalton will.  I'm not coaching the Bears so I'll leave it up to the guy who needs to show progress to make the call.

17 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I’m not sure Fields has to be clearly better than Dalton to start. Once he shows he can competently run the offense I think he needs to be in there. His skill set allows you to do SO MUCH MORE than you can with Dalton. RPOs offer a legit threat. Fields’ elite mobility changes the way opponents have to defend us in a way Dalton just can’t. It opens up the run game. It makes RPOs more effective. It limits defensive options in pass defense because they will always need eyes on Fields.

Nagy knows where he stands with fans. Fields buys him some good will back. Nobody wants to see Andy Dalton play over Fields except Andy Dalton, and they know it. Hell, they’re already pushing Fields jersey sales and confirming his jersey number choice. Would they really then bury that shiny new toy on the depth chart just to save face with a guy who has no other rapport in the locker room yet as himself a new arrival and potentially alienate players in the locker room by forcing known meh upon them over elite potential, all for a guy who won’t be here beyond 2021 anyway? They’d really franchise Allen Robinson and then force him to play out that year with Andy Dalton instead of Justin Fields when the best chance to keep Robinson is to let him see how great it might be to play out the rest of his career with Justin Fields? All after trading a future #1 to get Fields on the squad to rectify a massive QB draft failure from 4 years ago? You sure wouldn’t think so.

Honestly they could cut or trade Dalton coming out of preseason with Fields being elevated to QB1 and I’d bet my left nut that not a single tear would be shed in that locker room. Dalton is and always was a placeholder. Once that placeholder isn’t clearly better than that for which it was standing in then it’s nothing more than an expendable part. Dalton doesn’t have to like it - once Fields gives them at least an equal chance to win to that which Dalton can provide then Dalton should be spending his Sundays wearing a hat instead of a helmet. You trade up for Fields because signing Dalton as your starter made you a laughingstock. Nobody with egg on their face ever leaves it there to prolong the humiliation. 

• Like 1

One thing with Fields too.... is it's not like Mitch where he didn't have a ton of experience...

Fields played with Georgia, and Ohio State..... and was in the CFB playoffs twice.  Even if he doesn't get to start right away, he's a HELL of a lot more "pro ready" than Mitch was, for example.... His adjustment will be faster.

• Like 3

On the idea of sitting Fields I think the idea situation is what the Giants did all those years ago with Kurt Warner and Eli Manning...if the vet plays well enough to hold on to the job through camp then let him start...but understand as soon as your either out of true playoff contention or he starts to fail make the move to the future and give the guy those in game reps while expecting nothing from him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

On the idea of sitting Fields I think the idea situation is what the Giants did all those years ago with Kurt Warner and Eli Manning...if the vet plays well enough to hold on to the job through camp then let him start...but understand as soon as your either out of true playoff contention or he starts to fail make the move to the future and give the guy those in game reps while expecting nothing from him.

I don’t think the Warner/Manning situation is comparable at all. Warner was an All Pro for two years before he went to the Giants. But the point still stands that letting the rookie earn the starting spot is the best. I just want him to be good for a long time for the Bears. 

Edited by blkwdw13

13 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I don’t think the Warner/Manning situation is comparable at all. Warner was an All Pro for two years before he went to the Giants. But the point still stands that letting the rookie earn the starting spot is the best. I just want him to be good for a long time for the Bears. 

That's my point...Warner was good but as soon as it started going wrong they moved to the future.

14 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

no. we need to figure out what we're doing with andy and nick. this is future qb discussion, not qb of the future discussion

Don't see how Andy isn't your starting QB for the majority of the season.  Unless things go south really quickly, you let Fields develop.