Why do people frown upon Garappolo?

biggie.

Oof. You just had to start this thread didn't you??? :)

I'll say this, regardless of what side of the fence 49ers fans are on regarding Jimmy G, it would be interesting to see who walks back their opinion and admits they were wrong after it all plays out a certain way. Or who will continue to grasp at straws against a pile of stacked evidence in order to try and save face. Assuming Jimmy is a 49er next season. Got my popcorn ready. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

4 hours ago, biggie. said:

He may not be Patrick Mahomes, but SF consistently becones a bottom feeder every time he's been out. Granted the injuries are a concern, but people act him like he's a liability.

Because he’s too injured too often and has shown that he’s a mediocre below-starter level Qb. 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oof. You just had to start this thread didn't you??? :)

I'll say this, regardless of what side of the fence 49ers fans are on regarding Jimmy G, it would be interesting to see who walks back their opinion and admits they were wrong after it all plays out a certain way. Or who will continue to grasp at straws against a pile of stacked evidence in order to try and save face. Assuming Jimmy is a 49er next season. Got my popcorn ready. 

I don't think that there's anything to walk back for most. Not from niner fans at least. I don't know many who think he's awful or anything. A few think he's still good, but most just have him in this middle area where it's just more about what they want to do with him moving forward. Some, want to keep him and are still believers in him. I think he's fine, but I wouldn't keep him, though I'm sure he'll be fine in his performance just like Kirk is usually fine or Goff is usually fine

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Because he was inexplicably given a ridiculous contract after doing nothing but being Bradys backup then proceeded to be Dollar General Alex Smith.

Another thing I'm passionate about, but I'm too tired to get into it 😂😂

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that there's anything to walk back for most. Not from niner fans at least. I don't know many who think he's awful or anything. A few think he's still good, but most just have him in this middle area where it's just more about what they want to do with him moving forward. Some, want to keep him and are still believers in him. I think he's fine, but I wouldn't keep him, though I'm sure he'll be fine in his performance just like Kirk is usually fine or Goff is usually fine

Depends on the person. Jimmy could have a huge year and you'll still hear "well it was about time" or "he still rode the defense" etc. If he has a bad year you could hear "the offensive line still failed him" or "everyone was injured" etc. Like I said it really depends on the person. Like in the 49ers forum already, one of the posters refused to give him credit for an objectively great performance in a certain game, when the defense was lackluster, but apparently he still "rode the defense" that game despite being the highest graded 49er in the game via PFF. Even seemingly objective folks can have a bias. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Depends on the person. Jimmy could have a huge year and you'll still hear "well it was about time" or "he still rode the defense" etc. If he has a bad year you could hear "the offensive line still failed him" or "everyone was injured" etc. Like I said it really depends on the person. Like in the 49ers forum already, one of the posters refused to give him credit for an objectively great performance in a certain game, when the defense was lackluster, but apparently he still "rode the defense" that game. Even seemingly objective folks can have a bias. 

He was good in the Seattle game. I disagreed with that take too 😂

1 hour ago, Starless said:

He seems like he's regressed from a couple of years ago, honestly. 

He has. It's not even that the league figured him out or anything either. Things he used to do well he no longer does well. He is trending in the wrong direction without question 

For example, he used to be amazing at throwing the ball without his feet being set. The quick release plus the feet not needing to be set was what made him special. Now, when he throws the ball without setting his feet, the ball is super inaccurate. His accuracy night and day from when he sets his feet and when he doesn't. 

He used to have a great feel for the game. Was great at going through his reads and seeing the whole field. For whatever reason he is predetermining throws and completely missing (not seeing) wide open guys. It was a friggen joke in 2020 with throwing the ball short of the sticks on third when there was a different wide open guy who was 5 yards past the sticks. Infuriating to see repeatedly when breaking down the all 22. I know Kyle is pissed about it, how could he not be? 

His pocket presence was horrible this year. He used to be great at buying that extra second a la Brady/Brees, but last year he just completely couldn't handle any sort of pressure. Our OL was not good at pass blocking, especially early in the year, so it was a compounding effect. So I understand that can affect a QBs rhythm etc, but at some point he needs to make it happen and avoid some of the pressure on his own. 

There was only one game this year he looked mentally sharp.Only one game where he had good footwork and went though his reads properly. It was the pats game. In hindsight it really ticks me off, because the only reason he bothered to show up mentally was when he was playing his former team. You get paid millions of dollars to perform 16 days out of 365 in the year, there is ZERO excuse for not showing up mentally that many times. I understand he was hurt (high ankle sprain) for most of the year, but he was healthy week 1 against the cardinals and played like absolute dog ****. Mental mistakes all over the place. He played like crap against the Seahawks the week following the pats game, as if he had accomplished something the week prior and could just show up and win the game. He got hurt in that game again so people throw that putrid performance out the window, but the reality is he was fine until he got hurt, but again, just mental sloppiness that is inexcusable when you are 1/32 in the entire world. 

I know that any coach who watched the film would be able to tell him that his footwork was the root of a lot of his issues. He had bad footwork at times in 2019 as well, but was coming off the ACL so I was willing to give him a chance to improve upon it thinking that he could really attack it now that he wasn't rehabbing his knee. So the fact that he made zero progress during the season, and SIGNIFICANTLY regressed from the season before, in an offseason where he was expected to do all of this work on his own, really makes me question his motivations and overall work ethic. Yeah, I said it. Dude didn't put in the work during quarantine when there literally was nothing else to do and it was painfully obvious. I just can't imagine coaches not telling him after the Superbowl "go do some foowork drills until you get it right" 

I can deal with a guy playing hard but just not being good. I cant deal with someone who doesn't show up mentally and isn't ready to play. 

Can he find it again? Absolutely, but he is on a very short leash as far as I am concerned and I want to bring in someone to push him. He was too comfortable with the contract and the lack of other viable QBs on the roster. He used to be a grinder/hard worker. Last year he was just mailing it in 80% of the time it felt like. No excuses, go fix it or gtfo. I am not waiting around for you to figure it out while you are cashing 25m in pay checks 

My ideal scenario is that we cut his pay to 10m. We've paid him 100 million dollars and gotten one full season out of it. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

He was good in the Seattle game. I disagreed with that take too 😂

I think I am reading this as you disagree he was good against Seattle. If not, you must be talking about week 17 in 2019 and not this season lol 84 yards in 3 quarters against, at that time, the #32 ranked passing offense by a wiiiide margin is not good lol especially because he had 2 turnovers. Mullens then came in and threw for 280+ in one quarter lol 

If you are talking about the Seattle game this year, then we are about to fight 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, N4L said:

There was only one game this year he looked mentally sharp.Only one game where he had good footwork and went though his reads properly. It was the pats game. In hindsight it really ticks me off, because the only reason he bothered to show up mentally was when he was playing his former team.

The NFL scene changes so rapidly it's sometimes mind-boggling. A year ago Jimmy and the 49ers were 13-3 and making a deep playoff run to the Super Bowl. Now they are 6-10 with Jimmy injured so often he barely had 1,000 yds passing vs almost 4,000 yds last season. Playing 'home' games in Arizona.