Historical Comparisons for modern QBs

JiffyJag

After watching some tape of Elway recently, the similarities in playstyle between him and Patrick Mahomes were surprising to me. 

Another that stood out to me was Archie Manning, who I think had a similar playstyle to Matt Stafford.

I'm hoping that others who are more familiar with old school QBs can share who they think current NFL QBs compare to in terms of playing style/attributes.

53 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Brady-Montana

Rodgers-Steve Young

RG3-Cunningham

Jackson-Vick

How are Brady and Montana comparable? If anything, Bradys comp is Aikman. Aikman obviously played in a different era were QBs/WRs were mugged and his offensive system was "Hand the ball off and throw it for 50 yards only". But their size/athletic ability (lack of)/scrambling/leadership/accuracy/playoff dominance is almost identical. 

If Aikman played in a WCO and didnt suffer 8-9 known concussions, he and Brady would be basically the same person. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

How are Brady and Montana comparable? If anything, Bradys comp is Aikman. Aikman obviously played in a different era were QBs/WRs were mugged and his offensive system was "Hand the ball off and throw it for 50 yards only". But their size/athletic ability (lack of)/scrambling/leadership/accuracy/playoff dominance is almost identical. 

If Aikman played in a WCO and didnt suffer 8-9 known concussions, he and Brady would be basically the same person. 

Nobody else is throwing out any comparisons...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Nobody else is throwing out any comparisons...

Good point. 

Mahomes = Staubach

Eli = Bradshaw

Allen = Elway

Mayfield has a lil Favre in his playstyle 

Big Ben could be Bledsoe in the fact that they are both huge statues with capable arms. 

A stretch due to injuries, but Brees and Pennington had a lot in common.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Good point. 

Mahomes = Staubach

Eli = Bradshaw

Allen = Elway

Mayfield has a lil Favre in his playstyle 

Big Ben could be Bledsoe in the fact that they are both huge statues with capable arms. 

A stretch due to injuries, but Brees and Pennington had a lot in common.

Brees and Pennington played in the same era though. Doesn’t seem like it because Pennington has been out of the league so long.

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think I like Carson Palmer a bit better as a Bledsoe comparison. 

I'll also throw in Jameis Winston=Jeff George, though I think George had more arm talent than Winston. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

I think I like Carson Palmer a bit better as a Bledsoe comparison. 

I'll also throw in Jameis Winston=Jeff George, though I think George had more arm talent than Winston. 

Jeff George’s has a top 10 arm in nfl history. 

Jameis doesn’t have a top ten arm in today’s nfl.

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Jeff George’s has a top 10 arm in nfl history. 

Jameis doesn’t have a top ten arm in today’s nfl.

Agreed. However, both were number 1 overall picks with personality and turnover problems that caused them to squander great physical talent. 

5 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

Agreed. However, both were number 1 overall picks with personality and turnover problems that caused them to squander great physical talent. 

The story isn't over for Jameis, he still gets to lead the Saints back to the promised land.

I always thought Ryan's best comparison was with Peyton Manning.  Neither are super athletic but had just enough there when called upon.  Both had good enough arms to make all throws but weren't considered next level arm strength/talents.  They are both elite level at timing routes and their biggest asset is their brain.  Usually better when they are calling their own plays in no huddle and can put up numbers in all schemes no matter which OC or scheme they are put in.  Great leaders as well who put up tons of stats with their teams. 

On 1/22/2021 at 10:26 AM, Matts4313 said:

I'll admit I'm not that familiar with Bledsoe on the field, but I don't think I would describe Ben as a statue.  Not that he could ever take off and run with the ball or anything, but in his prime I felt he had great mobility when it came to evading stacks.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'll admit I'm not that familiar with Bledsoe on the field, but I don't think I would describe Ben as a statue.  Not that he could ever take off and run with the ball or anything, but in his prime I felt he had great mobility when it came to evading stacks.  

Big Ben is far more Elway than Bledsoe. Young/prime Ben was a scrambling playmaker making huge plays down the field outside the design of the offense... so basically the anti-Bledsoe hah. 

• Like 5