Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

14 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

@downundermike asked about this, so I'm going to add it here to get your opinions on this as we've looked into doing this in the past, it just never got figured out.

The idea of bidding on a player and if not being awarded that player we have a backup player that gets inserted in place of the outbid player for the same FA bidding round.

I don't mind it,   if it uses 2 Bids.    

I.e. Bid one.     For a LB.    

Bid four.   For a LB.  

If you win Bid one,       Bid 4 is nulled.  and that player can either be added back to FA,  or if the player on Bid 4 had other offers,  he reverts to the next highest.     The bidding team would need to let it be known before the round,  this is how they want it done though.   

Teams negotiate with multiple targets all the time,  and if one signs.  It usually drops the others from the table.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

This is not real life it’s a mock off-season. 

I get that, and as a new guy, not trying to rock the boat, but there is going to be times that this applies to all teams, and like any mock, are we not trying to imitate real life as close as possible.

Scenario for this mock.

The Philadelphia Eagles have free agent Miles Sanders, but have a substantial contract offer to Saquan Barkley.

If they are outbid for Barkley, the would want to re sign Sanders, but if the bid for Barkley is won, no need to also sign Sanders.  

When I jumped in last Friday, and was trying to learn on the fly, that is what my first impression of what the reserve contract bidding would be for.  I have this offer in reserve for Miles Sanders if I am outbid for Saquan Barkley.

I don't think it's that complicated.    Just add another drop down from UFA/Resign.    to Alternate if Bid# fails   

Bid 1:  UFA   LB  5 Years/80 Mil

Bid 4:  Alternate(if Bid 1 fails) -     LB 3 Years/ 20 Mil.    

It can be called something else from Alternate obviously..  but I do think it's a good idea.   And it doesn't necessarily have to be done this year.   But it does come up every single year as a topic

Edited by RedGold
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I don't mind it,   if it uses 2 Bids.    

I.e. Bid one.     For a LB.    

Bid four.   For a LB.  

If you win Bid one,       Bid 4 is nulled.  and that player can either be added back to FA,  or if the player on Bid 4 had other offers,  he reverts to the next highest.     The bidding team would need to let it be known before the round,  this is how they want it done though.   

Teams negotiate with multiple targets all the time,  and if one signs.  It usually drops the others from the table.    

This would require some additional formulas to sort out winners.  I'd have to see if this or a different set up would work best.  

Forcing this to use bid slots resolves the issue I've had with this which is having these whatif bids takes away from having the limited amount of bids.

3 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I don't think it's that complicated.    Just add another drop down from UFA/Resign.    to Alternate if Bid# fails   

Bid 1:  UFA   LB  5 Years/80 Mil

Bid 4:  Alternate(if Bid 1 fails) -     LB 3 Years/ 20 Mil.    

It can be called something else from Alternate obviously..  but I do think it's a good idea.   And it doesn't necessarily have to be done this year.   But it does come up every single year as a topic

yeah I couldn't do it this year.  But happy to look into any of this for next season.

You might be right about it being somewhat easy to work in by just adding the alt. drop down to specify.  

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

I get that, and as a new guy, not trying to rock the boat, but there is going to be times that this applies to all teams, and like any mock, are we not trying to imitate real life as close as possible.

Scenario for this mock.

The Philadelphia Eagles have free agent Miles Sanders, but have a substantial contract offer to Saquan Barkley.

If they are outbid for Barkley, the would want to re sign Sanders, but if the bid for Barkley is won, no need to also sign Sanders.  

When I jumped in last Friday, and was trying to learn on the fly, that is what my first impression of what the reserve contract bidding would be for.  I have this offer in reserve for Miles Sanders if I am outbid for Saquan Barkley.

That’s part of the strategy of the free agency period.

Free agency is fun in TCMD because you have to decide how hard to go for your first choice player or save money for other positions. If you don't get your top guy, then regroup for the next round. Normally players are asking for a lot at the beginning of free agency and someone might pay it. Do you want to outbid them or hold out and hope they make it to round 2? 

Lots of decisions. 

• Like 5

Since you asked in Discussion @ny92mike as a new player once I felt more confident in doing bidding correctly I really enjoyed even though I did panic up a bid on Jessie bate late and gave him more then I needed to that's part of the fun and would try it again.

Only thing that felt a little off to me in the bidding is that low cap teams get to attack the guys who slipped through the cap ask like Odell or Jamal Adams,while high cap teams bid on bigger names like Barkley.As someone who doesn't know a lot about workbooks or Worksheets wouldn't know what to suggest about it though that makes sense.

Don't know if giving reserve bids to plays would work where if the reserve bid on Says Odell was 11 mil a season and high bid that would win him was at 7 mil a season,he Wouldn't sign week 1 FA and instead his asking price would go up to 11 mil APY for week 2 FA BIdding.

Or it teams with high Cap space could get extra bidding like teams with
0-25 Mil Cap space get 4 bids
25-49 get 5 bids
50-74 get 6 bids
75+ get 7 bids or something

And btw thanks for all the hard work know it has to be headache.

2 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Since you asked in Discussion @ny92mike as a new player once I felt more confident in doing bidding correctly I really enjoyed even though I did panic up a bid on Jessie bate late and gave him more then I needed to that's part of the fun and would try it again.

Only thing that felt a little off to me in the bidding is that low cap teams get to attack the guys who slipped through the cap ask like Odell or Jamal Adams,while high cap teams bid on bigger names like Barkley.As someone who doesn't know a lot about workbooks or Worksheets wouldn't know what to suggest about it though that makes sense.

Don't know if giving reserve bids to plays would work where if the reserve bid on Says Odell was 11 mil a season and high bid that would win him was at 7 mil a season,he Wouldn't sign week 1 FA and instead his asking price would go up to 11 mil APY for week 2 FA BIdding.

25-49 get 5 bids
50-74 get 6 bids

The hardest part of this is setting APY values for the range of players.  Players and agents have asking prices based on many factors....past performance, perceived value league wide, market scarcity, injury history, ring chasing, etc

Maybe something to consider is a lowest benchmark that players would sign for in early rounds that would track off of real life NFL FA.

I'm guessing in the first 2 days of FA, there aren't many players signing for vet minimum or slightly above that.

6 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

Yessir, the blind bidding aspect of the free agency will send you in a panic and have you making decisions that cost you more than you would have liked...haha.  I really enjoy that aspect of the FA system.

Part of that was on me.  I really messed up this years APY value demands.  It's normally better put together than this, so I hate that you're first experience with tcmd has been dealing with these APY values.

The system I use to create these values got messed up from the start but I'll have that fixed for next year.

However, the system at least in my opinion, works better than being restricted to bidding on certain positions at certain times.  This allows you to bid on who you want when you want.  If you don't have the cap to sign big names it allows you to sneak in and land some mid level talent that still boost your roster value.

25-49 get 5 bids
50-74 get 6 bids

I'll have to give this suggestion some thought.  I'll get back to you on this.

Appreciate it.  

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

Something I just noticed on the Titans' page, there are two instances of duplicate players.  Not sure if it matters, really, but if it does, they are:

2119 Reggie Roberson WR & 2120 Reggie Roberson Jr WR

and 2620 Zachary Johnson RG & 2624 Zach Johnson LG

fixed thanks