Predict the QB carousel

paul-mac

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don't see it.

LV's OL is perennially a top 10 unit.   They have a top 10 run game.   It's the perfect setup to have a great QB season year in and year out - and Carr just frankly plays like a serviceable QB when the year's all said and done.    It's ironic that ppl question Matt Stafford - he's literally had nothing like the OL / run game support that Carr's been given...annually.

Someone can pay it, but honestly I think that's a pathway to fool's gold more than Stafford, or even Cousins (although Carr being about 15M cheaper for 2021-2 does help his case in that comp).

Before I get a ton of Raider fan heat - as a reference, I don't think Lock gets much value either, other than being so cheap with his rookie level deal, either.    

Top 10 in DYAR and DVOA the last two years and that contract is just fantastic when you consider comparable guys (2 / 39 with no guarantees when compared to 2/56 for cousins fully guaranteed or 2 / 53 for Goff I think, etc). Positive CPOE both years, low int rates. 

He doesn't do much heavily lifting...he and Jimmy G are basically the same QB in different systems (Carr average depth of target is bottom 5), but he's hyper efficient in what he does for sure. 

I wouldn't want to spend those kind of assets on him, but I can very easily see that. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

He doesn't do much heavily lifting...he and Jimmy G are basically the same QB in different systems (Carr average depth of target is bottom 5), but he's hyper efficient in what he does for sure. 

I wouldn't want to spend those kind of assets on him, but I can very easily see that. 

That's the key above.

The one team that I think he'd do well with - Indy.  Literally same setup as LV.  Top 10 OL, top 10 run game.   But I also think he's just part of the bus, he's not the straw that stirs the drink.   A team trading for him should realize that - IND is one of the few teams that would work.   I don't see anyone else paying a premium for him (even SF, given the need to be more than that to elevate SF vs. the other NFC teams). 

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Carr has one of if not the highest amount of 4th Q comebacks fwiw. His horrible record doesn't have much to do with him and a ton of having a consistently bottom 5 D year in and year out.

Mahomes is 25-1 in his last 26, the 1 was Derek Carr.

Carr had to face Mahomes 6 times so far. He is only 1-5 in those games.

• He did put up a 119+ rating in 3 of those 6 games though. 
    • 40-33 loss, 35-31 loss, 40-33 win

He kinda got demolished in the other 3.

24 of Carr's 47 wins were GWDs

• 38 of Stafford's 74 wins were GWDs

Carr had 7 GWDs in 2016 and did not lead the league. Stafford had 8.

AFAIK these are the only guys who have 50%+ of their wins from GWDs

• Foles is close at 12 of 28 and 2 of 4 in the playoffs

Chiefs win the SuperBowl 49-24 because Bucs defence flops hard. A disgruntled Tom forces a trade to Chicago, who grossly overpay for him, being a QB desperate team.  Tom likes going there in hope of having a better defence, a championship caliber NFL defence. Tom wins superbowl 2022 with the Bears after spanking Rodgers again in the NFC Championship game. And then i woke up, realising it was all a delusion 😅

Edited by BearFromArgentina
  • Like 1

Just crazy how much potential shake up (or questions on the starter) there could be in the starting QB for teams

NYJ -- Darnold vs ??? ( Watson or draft pick)
Mia -- Tua/Fitz vs ??? (Watson)
NE -- Newtown -> ???

Jax -- Minshew ->  Lawrence
Hou -- Watson vs ???
Indy -- Rivers -> ???

Den -- Lock vs ???
LV -- Carr vs ???

PHI -- Wentz or Hurts
Was -- Smith vs ???

Det -- Stafford -> Goff
Chi -- Trubisky/Foles vs ???

NO --  Brees -> Hill/Winston/???
Car -- Bridgewater vs ???

LAR -- Goff -> Stafford
SF -- Jimmy G vs ???

FA group of QB
Trubisky
Newton
Fitzpatrick
Winston

Feels like INDY is a prime candidate to make a move for a veteran that is serviceable with the team they have.  

I am going to take a lot of heat for this.

But I think Stafford is going to get the start in LA.

Also, I would say Watson most likely destination is MIA (not sure they move on from Tua after 1 year though) or NYJ, mostly because of draft capital.   Outside chance for SF/LV/CHI.  I don't think IND at all.  The 3 way trade is interesting that's for sure.

Rodgers stays in GB. 

Jimmy goes to NE after next season.

I have no idea what PHI will do.  Wentz will start one more year though.

Edited by Zalixar

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

SF -- Jimmy G vs ???

I think most niner fans will acknowledge that Jimmy being the starter next year is by far and away the most likely scenario. 

The reports of us looking all over the place for a QB are grossly exaggerated. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think most niner fans will acknowledge that Jimmy being the starter next year is by far and away the most likely scenario. 

The reports of us looking all over the place for a QB are grossly exaggerated. 

Won't really disagree on that.   was looking at it from a potential given the contract and security aspect for teams.   Jimmy G is a contract SF could get out of without much issue cap wise should a better option present itself.  

lets do a hypothetical.   Lets say Rodgers wants out of GB and wants to play for SF (childhood team).   

What would SF be willing to give up to make that happen?

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

That's the key above.

The one team that I think he'd do well with - Indy.  Literally same setup as LV.  Top 10 OL, top 10 run game.   But I also think he's just part of the bus, he's not the straw that stirs the drink.   A team trading for him should realize that - IND is one of the few teams that would work.   I don't see anyone else paying a premium for him (even SF, given the need to be more than that to elevate SF vs. the other NFC teams). 

In fairness, his depth of target went way up this year. Yes, it's a bit of an outlier from the rest of his career, but it showed he could do it without losing the rest of his game much. His average depth of target was over 8 yards. I just wouldn't bank on that happening moving forward, but at least it's there. Throws far less out of playaction than guys like Kirk as well. I mean, I consider him in that tier, but I think he's at the top of it. His last two years he has been really good. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

damn schefty. I feel like that may be a bit off. If he gets a first...just holy moly. Situations are more dire than I understood. 

I would not be that surprised if Darnold did return a late 1st.  He was a high pick and there very well may be NFL GM/HC that feel that a new situation could be very beneficial for Darnold.  

Just not sure who would be in the late 1st range (playoff teams) that would be looking at QB other than New Orleans.   Would probably be a trade up back into the late 1st or a team trading down from the teens.   I could see a NE trading down from 15 and adding some draft picks and then swinging a deal for Darnold.  

Maybe if Carr is moved from LV, would Gruden look to move for Darnold?

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

What would SF be willing to give up to make that happen?

Me or the team? lol. Very different. I just don't think that the 9ers are in any hurry to move on, to be honest. I don't even think that they are going to move up in the draft to take a QB and I'm not sure if they'd take one if someone like Lance happened to fall to them. I don't think that they are looking at giving up any sort of prime assets. Moves that require a second or third? They'll be super aggro with those all day. But I just don't think that there's a fire under them to make a change at the position unless they fall upon something that they can't say no to.