Predict the QB carousel

paul-mac

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

A smart team would. His contract for the team acquiring him is Jimmy G./Stafford/Carr money. The guy plays winning football, he has shown in the past he can play at a high level, he's still young, and he played efficient, turnover-free ball in the playoffs this year with a busted throwing hand. There's a lot to love about McVay, but he's not infallible.

Turns out, Rams are not a smart team. 

10 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Who tf would actually trade for Goff?

His contract is terrible and a good offensive coach like McVay thinks he's trash

This is a non story. He will be LA Ram for sure 2021

Lol well I guess joke is on me...I did not see this coming at all. 

Pretty surprised the Lions made this deal when it doesn't really help them in the immediate term

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Can somebody tell me why the Broncos aren't considered big players in the QB game this offseason? They're likely picking too late in the first to get a top QB prospect. And they have a stacked offense on paper outside of the QB position.

I predicted that if Aaron Rodgers they would go all out to get him there...

Though I’m also strike one on my predictions (which I don’t mind, smart by the Rams considering I thought the 49ers might’ve been his other likeliest destination. Was essentially a nuclear arms race between the two and it looks like, for now, the Rams have won that. Fun offseason already.

Colts cannot afford to head into 2021 w/ an unknown at QB (rookie, Eason, etc.) They've built a very good team, there is no time to waste. With Stafford gone, Watson a non-option as a division rival, Cowboys likely tagging or re-signing Dak, and Eagles likely sticking w/ Wentz (based off coaching search), the market for QBs is looking a bit thinner...

If we are to believe the Lions took in Goff as a salary dump, then they obviously would love to trade him, and even if they took him because they think there is some value there, I'm sure it wouldn't take all that much to move him as they just traded their franchise QB so clearly a rebuild of sorts is in the works. What you get in Goff is one of the league's best throwers from a clean pocket. Yes, every decent QB is pretty damn good from a clean pocket, but Goff is elite, and while what usually separates the bad, good and great QBs is their ability under pressure, that aspect of QB play will be mitigated more in Indy than just about anywhere else with their very good OL play. Rivers was the 2nd least pressured QB in 2020 (a huge part of that was due to how quickly he gets the ball out).

I think it's a good match for what should be a desperate Indy team right now. They went 11-5 with average at best play from their QB. If they could get any form of an upgrade, that will be huge, and Goff's asking price may make it ok for him to just be a stop gap, and we can say with 100% certainty you can reach a SB w/ Goff s your starter...

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

33 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Colts cannot afford to head into 2021 w/ an unknown at QB (rookie, Eason, etc.) They've built a very good team, there is no time to waste. With Stafford gone, Watson a non-option as a division rival, Cowboys likely tagging or re-signing Dak, and Eagles likely sticking w/ Wentz (based off coaching search), the market for QBs is looking a bit thinner...

If we are to believe the Lions took in Goff as a salary dump, then they obviously would love to trade him, and even if they took him because they think there is some value there, I'm sure it wouldn't take all that much to move him as they just traded their franchise QB so clearly a rebuild of sorts is in the works. What you get in Goff is one of the league's best throwers from a clean pocket. Yes, every decent QB is pretty damn good from a clean pocket, but Goff is elite, and while what usually separates the bad, good and great QBs is their ability under pressure, that aspect of QB play will be mitigated more in Indy than just about anywhere else with their very good OL play. Rivers was the 2nd least pressured QB in 2020 (a huge part of that was due to how quickly he gets the ball out).

I think it's a good match for what should be a desperate Indy team right now. They went 11-5 with average at best play from their QB. If they could get any form of an upgrade, that will be huge, and Goff's asking price may make it ok for him to just be a stop gap, and we can say with 100% certainty you can reach a SB w/ Goff s your starter...

I'm in agreement. I think the Colts should see what the Lions want for Goff. If they can replace Castanzo, they have a formidable OL. At that point, all they really need offensively is a WR to pair with Pittman and some depth at the position (in case Campbell gets hurt again). They have the cap to go out and sign a top FA WR, if they want. Plus, Reich really doesn't have to change the system much for Goff. He plays a similar style of game to Rivers.

Who exactly will play at QB at Detroit if they deal Goff? What if they don’t like any of the QBs coming out? I’m not sure that that crazy “taking out knee caps” coach is going for a full rebuild only to get fired in 2-3 years if he doesn’t win games immediately.

But if there is a QB that they like in the draft, keeping Goff makes no sense. However, his trade value is shot. Honestly it feels like a jilted lover relationship and McVay had to part ways at any cost, but to trade him AND multiple 1sts to start fresh? Seems a tad excessive. Sam Bradford still got 1st round return when I think the Eagles dealt for him. But I doubt Detroit would get that now. I thought the teams may have swapped a pick here and there but to trade multiple 1sts for someone 7 years older just reeks of desperation.

1 minute ago, WheatieMan said:

Who exactly will play at QB at Detroit if they deal Goff? What if they don’t like any of the QBs coming out? I’m not sure that that crazy “taking out knee caps” coach is going for a full rebuild only to get fired in 2-3 years if he doesn’t win games immediately.

But if there is a QB that they like in the draft, keeping Goff makes no sense. However, his trade value is shot. Honestly it feels like a jilted lover relationship and McVay had to part ways at any cost, but to trade him AND multiple 1sts to start fresh? Seems a tad excessive. Sam Bradford still got 1st round return when I think the Eagles dealt for him. But I doubt Detroit would get that now. I thought the teams may have swapped a pick here and there but to trade multiple 1sts for someone 7 years older just reeks of desperation.

Detroit would have the same options as if they traded Stafford to Indy or SF. Either draft a QB, or wait to find your guy and build the rest of the team. Moving Goff now for draft capital doesn’t change strategy. 

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Lol well I guess joke is on me...I did not see this coming at all. 

Pretty surprised the Lions made this deal when it doesn't really help them in the immediate term

Makes me feel like they are playing long ball. Either go for the Super Bowl (clearly not the case here) or gather as much talent as possible for the rookie QB. This looks like 2 years of building the team up with multiple firsts  then being able to dump Goff for the rookie - along with having zero dead cap and a fresh $25 mil opened up for FAs. I much prefer this method.

DET did great, LA got an improved QB but is banking it all on him now.

Didn’t LA give up multiple 1sts for the Ramsey deal? They didn’t even have a pick this year in the 1st round. Now they have nothing for the next two years. What if Stafford gets injured? It’s comical. 

I guess TB proved you can win with free agents and players acquired via trade or maybe McVay and the GM there don’t value 1st round picks. 

3 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Didn’t LA give up multiple 1sts for the Ramsey deal? They didn’t even have a pick this year in the 1st round. Now they have nothing for the next two years. What if Stafford gets injured? It’s comical. 

I guess TB proved you can win with free agents and players acquired via trade or maybe McVay and the GM there don’t value 1st round picks. 

Yeah. That's one of the reasons I hate this trade. Stafford severely injured his back and missed half of 2019. He got knocked out of multiple games with injuries in 2020. If the guy gets injured next year, the Rams are left with nothing. They've gone all in on Stafford making them a Super Bowl team. I would go all in on Watson. I'd assume that risk. Because that dude is young and would give us a massive window. But I'd rather have gambled on Goff and had our first round picks to use for a QB than what they're doing now. It feels to me like McVay got frustrated with Goff during the season and made a desperation play.

18 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

I didn't even see this post until now. YES! Exactly. I wish I had a football to give you.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Maybe not. Who knows.

It's hard to say. I listened to people who were acting like they had to give up a first to get out from under goff and that's not the way I read it at all. People seemed to fail to realize that the picks given up (the first rounders) were futures, which are typically discounted. I mean, while the trade talk was going on I asked the niners forum if they'd rather give up 12 or a first in 22 & 23 because I felt like those two things were fairly equivalent in value. The Rams' 2022 first round pick doesn't hold the value of Washington's #19 pick this year, so of course they had to kick in something more. 2 future firsts actually makes sense to me in terms of just straight up value for Stafford. I thought Goff had positive trade value, just grossly discounted because of the future year guarantees which are toxic in negotiations 

• Like 1