Predict the QB carousel

paul-mac

14 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Cousins is probably a bit better than Jimmy G, but he's also generally had better receivers.  Still, depending on what else they would need to give up to make the trade work, it isn't a bad swap in theory.  Even if you thought they were about equal in talent, Cousins has only missed 1 game since 2015.  Jimmy has only played in more than 6 games one time in his career.  For a team as talented as the 49ers, you don't want to risk going into the season with a QB you aren't confident will be able to finish the season strong.

With that said, if there is any decent QB right now that I could see collapsing out of nowhere in a Schaub-like fashion, its probably Kirk Cousins.  I thought it was going to be last year when he had those clunkers, but he rebounded well.  

That's a good point about Cousins being available more, it just seemed underwhelming when I first heard it

It is interesting how many teams have been linked and came out of offering Detroit high draft picks, as 4 were rumored to offer at least a 1st rd pick and mid rd picks for Stafford, including the Panthers willing to give up pick 8. At 1st I thought it was for teams looking to win now because of GM/HC being on the hot seat but with Carolina being involved (Rhule going on year 2) that seems to not be the case. I wonder if the GM/Scouts do not see this Qb class that great to be willing to move up to land a QB? With it being a down year in cap majority of the league is strapped in cap so you would think the best thing to do is move up for a qb in the draft rather then pay the 20 mil price tag for stafford. 

22 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Rumors 49ers might be willing to trade Jimmy G for Kirk Cousins....

22 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Cousins is probably a bit better than Jimmy G, but he's also generally had better receivers.  Still, depending on what else they would need to give up to make the trade work, it isn't a bad swap in theory.  Even if you thought they were about equal in talent, Cousins has only missed 1 game since 2015.  Jimmy has only played in more than 6 games one time in his career.  For a team as talented as the 49ers, you don't want to risk going into the season with a QB you aren't confident will be able to finish the season strong.

With that said, if there is any decent QB right now that I could see collapsing out of nowhere in a Schaub-like fashion, its probably Kirk Cousins.  I thought it was going to be last year when he had those clunkers, but he rebounded well.  

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If the price is right...

If that report is true, it sounds like a standoff - can't really blame both sides.   It's so early.   Wonder if a 3rd team gets involved, not so sure MIN would be that interested in JimmyG.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Shanahan just really loves Cousins, doesn't he?

It seems to go against their organizational MO but the Niners stick out to me as the team that should be feeling more urgency to get aggressiive about making a run at Watson. I understand that they look at Jimmy G and see someone who they already almost won the Super Bowl with and thus are content to just run it back if needed, but the flip side of that to me is that if they weren't going to win a Super Bowl with him last year when the defense and running game were about as dominant as you can reasonably expect them to be over the course of the season, then it's probably not going to happen with him. In a division with Stafford, Wilson, and Kyler it's only going to get harder too. 

Cousins doesn't seem like that big an upgrade but it might just be a situation where Shanahan has earned the right to call his shot at QB. 

4 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Shanahan just really loves Cousins, doesn't he?

It seems to go against their organizational MO but the Niners stick out to me as the team that should be feeling more urgency to get aggressiive about making a run at Watson. I understand that they look at Jimmy G and see someone who they already almost won the Super Bowl with and thus are content to just run it back if needed, but the flip side of that to me is that if they weren't going to win a Super Bowl with him last year when the defense and running game were about as dominant as you can reasonably expect them to be over the course of the season, then it's probably not going to happen with him. In a division with Stafford, Wilson, and Kyler it's only going to get harder too. 

Cousins doesn't seem like that big an upgrade but it might just be a situation where Shanahan has earned the right to call his shot at QB. 

It really has no traction. Its a rumor that stems from some random dude at Forbes and that's pretty much all it is. Ian already said that it wasn't his understanding of the situation. Would the niners trade for Kirk if the opportunity arises? I don't doubt it. He's basically a healthy version of Jimmy. But they aren't going to "go after" him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

QB is a commodity.   

It is very warm in Vegas.

So, yes, I could see him being a hot commodity when you put it that way....

I think he'd get quite a bit. 1st + 2nd to the right team? Maybe a 1st + conditional that can be up to a second. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think he'd get quite a bit. 1st + 2nd to the right team? Maybe a 1st + conditional that can be up to a second. 

I don't see it.

LV's OL is perennially a top 10 unit.   They have a top 10 run game.   It's the perfect setup to have a great QB season year in and year out - and Carr just frankly plays like a serviceable QB when the year's all said and done.    It's ironic that ppl question Matt Stafford - he's literally had nothing like the OL / run game support that Carr's been given...annually.

Someone can pay it, but honestly I think that's a pathway to fool's gold more than Stafford, or even Cousins (although Carr being about 15M cheaper for 2021-2 does help his case in that comp).

Before I get a ton of Raider fan heat - as a reference, I don't think Lock gets much value either, other than being so cheap with his rookie level deal, either.    

Edited by Broncofan