Predict the QB carousel

paul-mac

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Who tf would actually trade for Goff?

His contract is terrible and a good offensive coach like McVay thinks he's trash

This is a non story. He will be LA Ram for sure 2021

A smart team would. His contract for the team acquiring him is Jimmy G./Stafford/Carr money. The guy plays winning football, he has shown in the past he can play at a high level, he's still young, and he played efficient, turnover-free ball in the playoffs this year with a busted throwing hand. There's a lot to love about McVay, but he's not infallible.

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

A smart team would. His contract for the team acquiring him is Jimmy G./Stafford/Carr money. The guy plays winning football, he has shown in the past he can play at a high level, he's still young, and he played efficient, turnover-free ball in the playoffs this year with a busted throwing hand. There's a lot to love about McVay, but he's not infallible.

If the Raiders didn't have Carr and Mariota* and room for him, I'd take him. 

He may not be a fit for McVay's offense anymore, but Goff's shown enough for someone else to build around. It's not like he face planted at Winston levels, and he's in line to inherit the Ferrari in New Orleans. 

One of Goff's best assests is his age and the experience he already has. He's not a rookie but he's young enough for a team to invest long term in. That'll probably entice a couple teams at least. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

The stafford deal is easy to maneuver though. They can easily trade Goff, save almost 13 million and fit Stafford's upcoming salary in that 13 million. The rest of their cap though, I'm not sure. Probably restructure Donalds base to save like 15. 

The team that trades for him is getting hit with a $28m cap it.  We’re talking about a mediocre QB at best (unless he’s playing Arizona).  How high a pick are they getting when you could probably get a journeyman type stop-gap for less than half that...

https://overthecap.com/exploring-the-costs-of-trading-star-qbs-in-2021/

2 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

The team that trades for him is getting hit with a $28m cap it.  We’re talking about a mediocre QB at best (unless he’s playing Arizona).  How high a pick are they getting when you could probably get a journeyman type stop-gap for less than half that...

The other years are 25, and if the 21 roster bonus has been paid by the time the Rams trade him, that sticks, making the hit 25 ish which is middle of the road for QBs. 

The biggest problem is the 15.5 already guaranteed in 2022. If he didn't have guarantees past this year, I don't think this year is a big deal. Wouldn't fetch much in trade, but Indy, new England and Washington wouldn't have a ton of issues working around it, and throwing something out there for one year at 25-28 million for like a fifth and a conditional or something would be fine. The colts paid rivers 25 this year. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

The other years are 25, and if the 21 roster bonus has been paid by the time the Rams trade him, that sticks, making the hit 25 ish which is middle of the road for QBs. 

The biggest problem is the 15.5 already guaranteed in 2022. If he didn't have guarantees past this year, I don't think this year is a big deal. Wouldn't fetch much in trade, but Indy, new England and Washington wouldn't have a ton of issues working around it, and throwing something out there for one year at 25-28 million for like a fifth and a conditional or something would be fine. The colts paid rivers 25 this year. 

18 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Y'all have to be smoking the good stuff. Alex Smith got first round value. Jay Cutler got two firsts and a starting QB. Carson Palmer got a first and a second. Kevin Kolb got a second and a Pro Bowl CB. Sam Bradford got a second and a starting QB then he got a first in the next deal. Hell, Nick Foles and Joe Flacco each landed their teams fourth round picks. 

LOL at the idea that Goff has no trade value. He has led top 10 offenses in three of the past four years. He has led his team to a 42-20 record over the past four years. He is a two-time Pro Bowler. He has three playoff appearances in the last four years. He has a 3-3 playoff record in his career. Nick Foles and Joe Flacco were barely starting caliber QBs, and they landed fourth round picks. The idea that a team with the pieces to contend is going to turn its nose up at Goff when it has no other options because of his contract is a ridiculous notion. He's 26 years old, has proven he can start and win games, has playoff experience, and at his best was SIGNIFICANTLY better than mediocre. 😂

Why would you want a journeyman stop-gap type of QB when you could acquire a 26 year old QB who actually has the potential to make your team competitive and win games? 

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Y'all have to be smoking the good stuff. Alex Smith got first round value. Jay Cutler got two firsts and a starting QB. Carson Palmer got a first and a second. Kevin Kolb got a second and a Pro Bowl CB. Sam Bradford got a second and a starting QB then he got a first in the next deal. Hell, Nick Foles and Joe Flacco each landed their teams fourth round picks. 

LOL at the idea that Goff has no trade value. He has led top 10 offenses in three of the past four years. He has led his team to a 42-20 record over the past four years. He is a two-time Pro Bowler. He has three playoff appearances in the last four years. He has a 3-3 playoff record in his career. Nick Foles and Joe Flacco were barely starting caliber QBs, and they landed fourth round picks. The idea that a team with the pieces to contend is going to turn its nose up at Goff when it has no other options because of his contract is a ridiculous notion. He's 26 years old, has proven he can start and win games, has playoff experience, and at his best was SIGNIFICANTLY better than mediocre. 😂

Why would you want a journeyman stop-gap type of QB when you could acquire a 26 year old QB who actually has the potential to make your team competitive and win games? 

The future year guarantees are not great for trade value. I think it's largely conditional based but could be big condition

Also, Goff is just a stop gap ;)

• Like 1

Goff's trade value depends entirely on whether the league believes he's reached his peak yet. And I see no evidence to suggest anyone thinks that he's still got untapped potential. He's been paired for 4 years with one of the 2 or 3 best offensive coaches in the NFL and for the last two years he's been backsliding into mediocrity. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

The future year guarantees are not great for trade value. I think it's largely conditional based but could be big condition

Also, Goff is just a stop gap ;)

He's 26 years old. He's more than a stop gap. The future guarantees are pretty minimal. It's the 2022 roster bonus, and that's it. While $15.5 million isn't ideal, it's not a massive problem. 

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He's 26 years old. He's more than a stop gap. The future guarantees are pretty minimal. It's the 2022 roster bonus, and that's it. While $15.5 million isn't ideal, it's not a massive problem. 

He's 26 and gone at 28. Two years is a stopgap 😃

But now that I've sufficiently slagged on Goff as a player, the future guarantees is why I think any deal would be future based. It eats value, but he could be fine. It's a compromise.  I think his return will be fine in the end, but i think the emphasis would come after performance.

Just now, Starless said:

Goff's trade value depends entirely on whether the league believes he's reached his peak yet. And I see no evidence to suggest anyone thinks that he's still got untapped potential. He's been paired for 4 years with one of the 2 or 3 best offensive coaches in the NFL and for the last two years he's been backsliding into mediocrity. 

Could say the exact same thing about Peyton Manning at 26 years old. Pocket passers hit their prime window typically between 27 and 30 years old. The majority of franchise pocket passing QBs over the past 20 years demonstrate exactly why he has untapped potential. Hell, if you think Peyton Manning is a lofty comparison, look at Stafford's career up to age 26 and then from age 27 forward. And those are far from the only two examples. Take a look at Eli Manning if you want a third. Then, look at Philip Rivers. I can keep going. Pocket passers get better as they age because their game is reliant on deciphering the defense and throwing with timing and precision. Unsurprisingly, experience and maturity only help with those things.

Just now, Forge said:

He's 26 and gone at 28. Two years is a stopgap 😃

But now that I've sufficiently slagged on Goff as a player, the future guarantees is why I think any deal would be future based.  I think his return will be fine in the end, but i think the emphasis would come after performance

He's only gone at 28 if he doesn't perform.