Predict the QB carousel

paul-mac

13 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Colts cannot afford to head into 2021 w/ an unknown at QB (rookie, Eason, etc.) They've built a very good team, there is no time to waste. With Stafford gone, Watson a non-option as a division rival, Cowboys likely tagging or re-signing Dak, and Eagles likely sticking w/ Wentz (based off coaching search), the market for QBs is looking a bit thinner...

If we are to believe the Lions took in Goff as a salary dump, then they obviously would love to trade him, and even if they took him because they think there is some value there, I'm sure it wouldn't take all that much to move him as they just traded their franchise QB so clearly a rebuild of sorts is in the works. What you get in Goff is one of the league's best throwers from a clean pocket. Yes, every decent QB is pretty damn good from a clean pocket, but Goff is elite, and while what usually separates the bad, good and great QBs is their ability under pressure, that aspect of QB play will be mitigated more in Indy than just about anywhere else with their very good OL play. Rivers was the 2nd least pressured QB in 2020 (a huge part of that was due to how quickly he gets the ball out).

I think it's a good match for what should be a desperate Indy team right now. They went 11-5 with average at best play from their QB. If they could get any form of an upgrade, that will be huge, and Goff's asking price may make it ok for him to just be a stop gap, and we can say with 100% certainty you can reach a SB w/ Goff s your starter...

If the Colts wanted Goff then why not make a deal already? 

Albert Breer says that Jimmy G was "briefly" brought up in the Buckner trade talks last year. If/when the Niners make a move for a QB, the Colts should be in on him.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Maybe not. Who knows.

I'm hardly surprised that he likely had a market. Lions are in rebuild mode, so it's sensible to take a gamble on a long term QB who has pulled himself up from bad situations before, and with regards to the contract, they're getting a discount with how QB contracts are made now. My guess is an extension and reworking for cap purposes in the near future.

The picks to go with were a bit steep, but I'd say that's more on the FO than the league's perception of Goff. 

Again, if anyone had called the Rams about Goff before a week ago, Holmes would know.

If anyone had called and said 'hey we like this guy but only if you can take some of this cap hit,' Holmes would know.

The Rams are over the cap and couldn't eat any more of that money than they have to by trading him already. But maybe the Lions can, if they're tearing the team down to the ground anyway.

So tell me, who out there do you think would be interested in Goff if his cap hit went down by $15M? And what do you think they'd give? There's still an immense market for QB's, especially if Brees, Roethlisberger and maybe even Brady retire.

Edited by Superduperman

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's hard to say. I listened to people who were acting like they had to give up a first to get out from under goff and that's not the way I read it at all. People seemed to fail to realize that the picks given up (the first rounders) were futures, which are typically discounted. I mean, while the trade talk was going on I asked the niners forum if they'd rather give up 12 or a first in 22 & 23 because I felt like those two things were fairly equivalent in value. The Rams' 2022 first round pick doesn't hold the value of Washington's #19 pick this year, so of course they had to kick in something more. 2 future firsts actually makes sense to me in terms of just straight up value for Stafford. I thought Goff had positive trade value, just grossly discounted because of the future year guarantees which are toxic in negotiations 

Yeah. I don't know. Schrager is McVay's buddy, so I wouldn't expect him to be pumping up JG on the way out.

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

If the Colts wanted Goff then why not make a deal already? 

Albert Breer says that Jimmy G was "briefly" brought up in the Buckner trade talks last year. If/when the Niners make a move for a QB, the Colts should be in on him.

Because INDY didn't have the QB to send to LAR in return.  

Just now, squire12 said:

@Forge

How would DET rework the Goff contract to make it more attractive to another team to trade for?

Do they convert some Guarantees to SB or base and eat like $10M total over the next 2 years?

Convert the 15m guaranteed roster bonus for 2022 to signing bonus so it disappears for a team acquiring . Trade him after the roster bonus is paid this year (only like 2.5 or whatever) 

A 25m/yr qb with no future guarantees and a prior history of being competent would have value for reclamation. It may still have a conditional component, but I think there's a market there. That means that detroit has 18 million in dead cap this year, however, so it's got to be worth it. Possible they can convert less and still create value, but if they wanted to trade him this year, that's how I would do it

Just now, Forge said:

Convert the 15m guaranteed roster bonus for 2022 to signing bonus so it disappears for a team acquiring . Trade him after the roster bonus is paid this year (only like 2.5 or whatever) 

A 25m/yr qb with no future guarantees and a prior history of being competent would have value for reclamation. It may still have a conditional component, but I think there's a market there. That means that detroit has 18 million in dead cap this year, however, so it's got to be worth it. Possible they can convert less and still create value, but if they wanted to trade him this year, that's how I would do it

I was thinking something along those lines.  A team like INDY seems to make a lot of sense.  Goff behind a solid OL with Taylor, Hines, Pittman, few other WR makes a lot of sense.  DET feels like they are in a 3ish year rebuild with taking the firsts that are in 22 and 23 from LAR.  

Maybe they get a 2021 1st or a 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd.    Indy is a team in win now/soon mode and Goff would give them a potential option for the next 2-3 year window of that.

17 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Rumors 49ers might be willing to trade Jimmy G for Kirk Cousins....

Cousins is probably a bit better than Jimmy G, but he's also generally had better receivers.  Still, depending on what else they would need to give up to make the trade work, it isn't a bad swap in theory.  Even if you thought they were about equal in talent, Cousins has only missed 1 game since 2015.  Jimmy has only played in more than 6 games one time in his career.  For a team as talented as the 49ers, you don't want to risk going into the season with a QB you aren't confident will be able to finish the season strong.

With that said, if there is any decent QB right now that I could see collapsing out of nowhere in a Schaub-like fashion, its probably Kirk Cousins.  I thought it was going to be last year when he had those clunkers, but he rebounded well.  

Edited by iknowcool