Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

I hope the Packers management take notice of the reactions across Packerdom and be forced to change their minds about Barry if he was indeed the guy they are looking at.

It's a legit tactic by the way for teams to leak out a name to gauge the reaction. I wonder if this is what happened here.

12 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

What they should be more concerned with is what the Packers returning veteran players think of the hire. Can this guy sell his vision of what this defense will be like to the players?

I mean it can't be worse than Pettine. The players had to go to him mid-season and basically tell him to quit doing certain things.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We were the 9th defense in the NFL. Sounds to me like there are 23 opportunities to be worse.

eh they were 17th in DVOA which matched the eye test. Overall, they were solid average. Considering the individual talent they have on that side of the ball, I was fully on board with moving on from Pettine since I didn't think he brought out the best that this defense could have offered

With the benefit of hindsight now though, there's no reason to believe that Joe Barry is the guy to do what Pettine couldn't. Pettine already had/has a far better resume than Barry ever did prior to coming to GB.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

can you explain why GB was a perfect jumpoff for him?    Do we/you know what he envisions as a proper pieces to run the system he feels would be most successful at the NFL level?

What’s to explain?  Local kid who the local fans already adore who has shown tremendous promise as a DC. If he wants to go the NFL, it’s going to be at a position coach or as a DC.  With us he had a shot at the latter.  He’s familiar with Pettine’s system and thus what changes or adaptations are needed to either improve it or transition away from it. Sure he could get an NFL offer from elsewhere (and may have previously) but this one sure lined up perfectly for him.  

After a decade of record setting collapses at every turn, just give me somebody that can put out a stable defense. DVOA, points per game, yards per game. Great stuff. You know what I remember ?  Giving up 51 points in the desert. Giving up 200 yards rushing to a QB. Blown coverages in OT. Blown coverages in regulation. Giving up 150 yards rushing before contact. Getting torched by a team who didn't need to throw the ball 10 times. Hearing Troy Aikman say "wide open" more times than I can count.  I have playoff PTSD

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

After a decade of record setting collapses at every turn, just give me somebody that can put out a stable defense. DVOA, points per game, yards per game. Great stuff. You know what I remember ?  Giving up 51 points in the desert. Giving up 200 yards rushing to a QB. Blown coverages in OT. Blown coverages in regulation. Giving up 150 yards rushing before contact. Getting torched by a team who didn't need to throw the ball 10 times. Hearing Troy Aikman say "wide open" more times than I can count.  I have playoff PTSD

Good news for you is this guy's hasn't sniffed the playoffs as a DC so you may not add on to that PTSD.

Well at least now I have no expectations. Getting to 3 straight NFCCGs was a pipe dream anyways. Maybe Rodgers will have another MVP season.

We'll remember for a long time that we blew our best opportunity in 2020 to be special. Can't miss on those. 

Edited by packfanfb