Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I doubt they low-balled him.  They know what he makes and it would just be a slap in the face to offer him the gig and then give him a crappy salary offer.  That would make no sense at all, and is just bad business.  

But you can win a ring with Rodgers. 

Sorry, had to do it

8 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Jimmy L is making roughly 1.1 million a year at UW?   Wow.

I heard the Packers low balled him money wise, but it's just hearsay....

1.1 is more than the average NFL DC. I'm guessing the $ were close enough that it wasn't a consideration. I was surprised how similar NFL salaries are to CFB...and Coordinators actually can make more in CFB

16 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You are right. I'll never forget that 2011 juggernaut. Hands down the worst defense I have ever witnessed (simply answering a question you proposed). Or the inability to stop a college RPO.  But hey, be as mad as you want. I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions just yet. I'm giving MLF the benefit of the doubt. Same goes with Evero. MLF knows him far better than we do

The 2011 defense that finished 20th in the league in points allowed was the worst defense you've ever witnessed?

I'm sure 12 years on Barry is a changed man, gained some more experience and has developed a new perspective. He will be running a completely different system to what he ran in Detriot and Washington. That's my only positive take on him.

However my question is this, when the pressure is on will he do things differently or will he revert back to his old bad habits. He's 50 years old and its difficult to change your subconscious habits and his pattern of playcalling.

He tried running an entire room of players twice before and has failed to extract the maximum out of them. He is supposed to be a good communicator but where was this at his previous stops? They were schematically dysfunctional.

Maybe he's not a good evaluator of coaching talent and surrounded himself with bad coaches. Maybe he was unlucky with bad front offices who draft bad players. Whatever the reason, you have to look at his full body of work and I don't think LaFleur can justify giving him his 3rd coordinator opportunity.

LaFleur cannot stand there on the podium and say with a straight face he has upgraded his defensive coordinator with a coach who went 0-16 at their division rivals.

53 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This blows. Looks like another HC where the pre-req for getting a job isn't how good you are, but if you're his buddy. 

Worked out so well for Nolan and the Cowboys this year.

The N in NFL stands for Nepotism

The F in NFL stands for Friends

The L in NFL stands for Ludicrous hiring practices

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The 2011 defense that finished 20th in the league in points allowed was the worst defense you've ever witnessed?

And set the NFL record for yards against. Yes. And check out the players on that defense. And the offense for that matter. That factors in. Far more talent on that roster than the 2007 Lions or the 2015 Redskins. I don't think those defenses set any records for futility

And I could care less if they hire Barry or not

Edited by cannondale

I don’t blame Leonhard for taking the interviews as it’s great experience for any coordinator on any level. But what is this heir apparent stuff?  Chryst is only 55 and not likely retiring soon.  So is Leonhard planning to be the HC in waiting for a decade+ or is he expecting Paul’s seat to get hotter?  

Either way, it’s pretty clear he wants to stay coaching in college bcuz if he did have NFL coaching aspirations, this was the perfect jumpoff for him in GB. 

Edited by thrILL!

LaFleur needs to be brave and give an unproven talent in Evero a shot. He might surprise us.

Gute, LaFleur, Hackett, Getsey, Gizzi all knows him personally at Evero's previous stops. They all just so happen to be core members of the Packers staff who will surround Evero and give him the support he needs to succeed.

Evero worked with several variants of the 3-4 via Fangio, Capers, Phillips and Staley. That will fit in nicely with the Packers 3-4 and also give Evero the flexibility to create the best fit for our defence.

As for his quiet nature, like LaFleur that can be recified by surrounding himself with big personalities and LaFleur did just that with Hackett. Evero needs to do the same. Use your coaches to minimise your weaknesses.

Leonhard was a no brainer hire. I think Evero is a no brainer hire too, just don't let his inexperience put us off.

Edited by Chili

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

To be fair the 2011 defense was greatly aided by one of the most dominant offenses of all time. Then one day our offense wasn't dominant and our defense nearly gave up 40 to Eli Manning at home. 

Edited by packfanfb

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I don’t blame Leonhard for taking the interviews as it’s great experience for any coordinator on any level. But what is this heir apparent stuff?  Chryst is only 55 and not likely retiring soon.  So is Leonhard planning to be the HC in waiting for a decade+ or is he expecting Paul’s seat to get hotter?

Possible Cryst seat gets warm at WI.  Possible Leonhard would take a chance on another power 5 conference HC position.  Possible he enjoys the position and where his family is and that is more important to him than other things

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Either way, it’s pretty clear he wants to stay coaching in college bcuz if he did have NFL coaching aspirations, this was the perfect jumpoff for him in GB. 

can you explain why GB was a perfect jumpoff for him?    Do we/you know what he envisions as a proper pieces to run the system he feels would be most successful at the NFL level?

20 minutes ago, cannondale said:

And set the NFL record for yards against. Yes. And check out the players on that defense. That factors in. Far more talent on that roster than the 2007 Lions or the 2015 Redskins. I don't think those defenses set any records of futility

Yards are cheap. Points are what matters. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cannondale said:

And set the NFL record for yards against. Yes. And check out the players on that defense. And the offense for that matter. That factors in. Far more talent on that roster than the 2007 Lions or the 2015 Redskins. I don't think those defenses set any records for futility

Units greatly aiding each other has basically been proven to be essentially statistically irrelevant. 

The defense was 23rd in points allowed per drive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

To be fair the 2011 defense was greatly aided by one of the most dominant offenses of all time. Then one day our offense wasn't dominant and our defense nearly gave up 40 to Eli Manning at home. 

Units greatly aiding each other has basically been proven to be essentially statistically irrelevant. 

The defense was 23rd in points allowed per drive.