Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Probably a mixture of factors.

Money

security

likes the college game/dynamic of coaching > pro game

Insight from Pettine

Not meshing with MLF

Hard to know if the fit is right without interviewing.   

I guess, but reports are he got two interviews and then was offered the position. Seems like a lot of work to decide it wasn't the right time. 

Just now, BluePacker said:

I guess, but reports are he got two interviews and then was offered the position. Seems like a lot of work to decide it wasn't the right time. 

First interview would have been more cursory and less in depth.  2nd interview might have left Leonhard thinking it was not the right fir.  The offer being made is outside of Leonhard's control

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Possible Pettine gave Leonhard insight on how MLF operates.  There were some dynamics that might not be favorable that we don't fully know.

I do expect that Leonhard talked to Pettine about his time in GB, and probably received some pretty raw answers to his questions.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The only way it makes sense for Leonhard is if he's been seeing college HC offers for roughly the same money. 

Might be a function of what Leonhard ultimately wants.   Does he want his next step to be college HC or pro DC?

We can say he should take the pro position.   But it needs to line up with his career aspirations.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The only way it makes sense for Leonhard is if he's been seeing college HC offers for roughly the same money. 

I mean the guy is pocketing 1.2 a year with 100% job security. 

If coming into a situation where it's championship or bust and he had to improve on a middle of the pack defense was not worth giving up that job security, it's probably good he's staying there.

• Like 3

Just now, squire12 said:

Might be a function of what Leonhard ultimately wants.   Does he want his next step to be college HC or pro DC?

We can say he should take the pro position.   But it needs to line up with his career aspirations.

Ultimately, I think this is what it came down to.  I think Leonhard wants the HC job in Madison much more than the DC job in GB.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I mean the guy is pocketing 1.2 a year with 100% job security. 

If coming into a situation where it's championship or bust and he had to improve on a middle of the pack defense was not worth giving up that job security, it's probably good he's staying there.

Leonhard could coach the worst defense in NFL history for the next 3 seasons and Wisconsin would still gleefully fire his replacement to take him back.

Just now, squire12 said:

First interview would have been more cursory and less in depth.  2nd interview might have left Leonhard thinking it was not the right fir.  The offer being made is outside of Leonhard's control

Maybe. But you don't interview for a position without doing your research beforehand. Talking to other coaches (like Pettine) are part of that and I'm sure he did it before his first interview. I'd also bet the first interview is more than just cursory.

I get it, he has to make the right decision for him and his family. He is a legend in Madison and can play it "safe" by staying there. He is the apparent heir as the HC and his school is big/good enough to always be talked about while not as stressful/unsure as a NFL coach position. 

I just would have loved to see his coaching style in GB with our pieces. I andy think this really gives GB a bad look in the DC search, whoever gets it now is always going to be pick number 2 (at best).

Plus I'm not thrilled with either of the other two. On has no DC experience and would put you to sleep, the other has horrible DC experience. :(

I think LaFleur should take a step back and look at some candidates with 3-4 backgrounds such as Brendan Daly, Chris Hewitt and Larry Foote before making any firm commitment.

I appreciate they come from a completely different coaching tree but it doesn't hurt to look under that rock.