Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

From my point of view in terms of opportunity for Leonhard he won't get a better one than this imo. He is not going to go straight to Head Coach in the NFL from college as a DC especially as a defensive guy. Its usually college HC that make the jump straight to NFL HC.

1. He remains in-state

2. Defensive system, players and staff are already in place for him.

3. Significantly larger pay

4. Immediate shot at Superbowl which can provide a massive career jump.

4. Wisconsin Head Coach is only 55. Why not spend a few years in the NFL before the Wisconsin HC job opens up?

I am very surprised he turned it down. He is not going to get a DC opportunity this perfect again. Might tick one or two boxes elsewhere but nothing like this.

I'd agree that if this opportunity to run the GB defense wasn't the "perfect" opportunity for Loenhard to make the jump to the NFL, I don't know what would be.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'd agree that if this opportunity to run the GB defense wasn't the "perfect" opportunity for Loenhard to make the jump to the NFL, I don't know what would be.

If UW were made an NFL team and he was named HC   :)

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If it helps Evero started out his NFL career under Monte Kiffin who ran the 4-3 Tampa. Seattle and 49ers run a variant of that. However it was just for 1 year though. He spent the rest of his career under 3-4 coordinators.

4 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

we did it. we found the most boring dude that exists. let's see this dude get the D playing with passion lol ****

He is a bit dry. Been my concern throughout the process.

Its probably the reason why he struggled for promotion opportunities throughout his career despite working under some excellent coordinators.

Of course he may not have been the only finalist in the interviews, there were some reports that there was a third one.

People really obsessed with a Saleh type of hire just because he acted like he was going full Hulk each time a defensive stop was made lol. Just give me a coach who won't make monumentally dumb decisions at the end of a first half of a conference championship game. 

Question - do you think it accurate that GB offered the position to Leonard?

Why would they make that public?
Did they make that public - or leak it?

It kind of puts the ball in Leonard's court PR-wise and now the organization has to step back since Leonard shot them down publicly - and now everybody else is clearly second choice.

You think they were trying to pressure Leonard into taking the position? That seems far fetched to me - or you think they felt he was a done deal? 

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Question - do you think it accurate that GB offered the position to Leonard?

Why would they make that public?
Did they make that public - or leak it?

It kind of puts the ball in Leonard's court PR-wise and now the organization has to step back since Leonard shot them down publicly - and now everybody else is clearly second choice.

You think they were trying to pressure Leonard into taking the position? That seems far fetched to me - or you think they felt he was a done deal? 

Not necessarily. Things like this are notoriously difficult to keep a lid on. This info always has a way of getting out.

For example Leonhard agent may have told the people at Wisconsin or told the media about the job offer to illicit a pay rise for his client, and the people at Wisconsin may have told other people and so on.

The Packers never admitted publicly they offered the job to him. It was the beat reporters joining the dots though various sources which pointed to the high likeihood he was offered the job.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1