Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

Imagine hiring 4 or 5 straight defensive coordinators over 50 years old at the time of hiring. 

Imagine watching as the best defensive coordinators in the league are consistently young and trying to reach the heights of head coach only to have an elite defense and become head coach.

Imagine looking across the NFL and seeing maybe 3 former defensive coordinators get their defense to a top 5 defense when given another chance at being a defensive coordinator.

Then imagine doing all of those mistakes.

Devil's Advocate here, but in Barry's first year with the WFT he wasn't terrible.  Had a lot of young talent on that squad. 

Had only one truly ugly performance against Cam Newton in Cam's MVP season. 

Held the opponent under 25 points in 9 of their regular season games. 

Although Rodgers did torch his defense in the postseason.  The same postseason where Davante Adams was still cut bait, James Jones was 50 and Jordy was on IR with a fat Eddie Lacy. 

I'm not going to judge the person, I'm going to judge the results. 

WFT - They were the 5th overall team in 2015 in offensive points against the year Barry was their defensive coordinator.  They were 27th in the league the year before and dropped to 18th the year after Barry left. 

Lions - Here's the thing... In 2007, the Lions held their opponent under 22 points 7 times. 

Pettine in 2020 held the opponent under 22 points 9 times. 

That Lions defense held their opponent to single digit points twice.  Pettine has done that twice in three years with the Packers.

This tells me that Barry is aggressive until the end of games.  That's a big plus for me.  There's nothing more irritating than taking the foot off the gas late in games.  A defense should NEVER be okay with surrendering yards or points.  Ever.  I don't care if you're up by 70. 

And that Lions defense might have been the least talented secondary I've ever heard of and without a legitimate EDGE.  Like no EDGE at all. 

Their corners:

Travis Fisher started 8 games.  Two years later out of the NFL.
Fernando Bryant.  One year later out of the NFL.
Dovonte Edwards.  One year later playing for Toronto Argonauts.
Ramzee Robinson.  Lions cut him after two years.  On his rookie contract.
Keith Smith.  One year later off the team, the year after that in Canada.

Their safeties:

Gerald Alexander.  Second round pick.  Must have lots of potential.  Wrong.  The Lions cut him after this year.  A second round pick they cut after one year.
Greg Blue.  A year later he's in the Canadian league.
Patrick Body.  A year later he's in the Canadian league.
Kenoy Kennedy.  A year later he's not even in the Canadian league.

So Joe Barry's secondary as defensive coordinator of the Lions:

5/9 players in the secondary are either out of football completely or in the Canadian league a year later.
2/9 are on the same team a year later.

Imagine having a secondary so bad that the only two players you bring back the following year instead of outright cutting them are Travis Fisher and Ramzee Robinson, both of which you cut the next offseason. 

Is it any surprise to me that Lions team set the completion percentage record in NFL history?  No. 

Joe Barry got more out of that Lions team than Pettine ever could get out of a team.

Could you imagine Pettine with that secondary? 

3 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

Maybe. But you don't interview for a position without doing your research beforehand. Talking to other coaches (like Pettine) are part of that and I'm sure he did it before his first interview. I'd also bet the first interview is more than just cursory.

Pettine informs him of things, answers questions, but says you should interview and make your decision based on how it feels for you.

I get it, he has to make the right decision for him and his family. He is a legend in Madison and can play it "safe" by staying there. He is the apparent heir as the HC and his school is big/good enough to always be talked about while not as stressful/unsure as a NFL coach position. 

Leverage is a valuable thing.  Being sought after for NFL DC positions probably does not hav many drawbacks

I just would have loved to see his coaching style in GB with our pieces. I andy think this really gives GB a bad look in the DC search, whoever gets it now is always going to be pick number 2 (at best).

Plus I'm not thrilled with either of the other two. On has no DC experience and would put you to sleep, the other has horrible DC experience. :(

All comes down to the coach and his ability to do the job.  Being the second choice could also be a positive 

It can be a selling point to players that were overlooked.  

Till Leonhard actually comments publicly (if he does) all the conjecture on why he turned the position down is nothing but "It could be this....or it could be that" make believe.

I presume the Packers got a solid / actual reason - which is all that matter at this juncture. 

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think LaFleur should take a step back and look at some candidates with 3-4 backgrounds such as Brendan Daly, Chris Hewitt and Larry Foote before making any firm commitment.

I appreciate they come from a completely different coaching tree but it doesn't hurt to look under that rock.

Probably a good idea to consider coaches from KC and TB.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Imagine hiring 4 or 5 straight defensive coordinators over 50 years old at the time of hiring. 

Imagine watching as the best defensive coordinators in the league are consistently young and trying to reach the heights of head coach only to have an elite defense and become head coach.

Imagine looking across the NFL and seeing maybe 3 former defensive coordinators get their defense to a top 5 defense when given another chance at being a defensive coordinator.

Then imagine doing all of those mistakes.

Devil's Advocate here, but in Barry's first year with the WFT he wasn't terrible.  Had a lot of young talent on that squad. 

Had only one truly ugly performance against Cam Newton in Cam's MVP season. 

Held the opponent under 25 points in 9 of their regular season games. 

Although Rodgers did torch his defense in the postseason.  The same postseason where Davante Adams was still cut bait, James Jones was 50 and Jordy was on IR with a fat Eddie Lacy. 

I'm not going to judge the person, I'm going to judge the results. 

WFT - They were the 5th overall team in 2015 in offensive points against the year Barry was their defensive coordinator.  They were 27th in the league the year before and dropped to 18th the year after Barry left. 

Lions - Here's the thing... In 2007, the Lions held their opponent under 22 points 7 times. 

Pettine in 2020 held the opponent under 22 points 9 times. 

That Lions defense held their opponent to single digit points twice.  Pettine has done that twice in three years with the Packers.

This tells me that Barry is aggressive until the end of games.  That's a big plus for me.  There's nothing more irritating than taking the foot off the gas late in games.  A defense should NEVER be okay with surrendering yards or points.  Ever.  I don't care if you're up by 70. 

And that Lions defense might have been the least talented secondary I've ever heard of and without a legitimate EDGE.  Like no EDGE at all. 

Their corners:

Travis Fisher started 8 games.  Two years later out of the NFL.
Fernando Bryant.  One year later out of the NFL.
Dovonte Edwards.  One year later playing for Toronto Argonauts.
Ramzee Robinson.  Lions cut him after two years.  On his rookie contract.
Keith Smith.  One year later off the team, the year after that in Canada.

Their safeties:

Gerald Alexander.  Second round pick.  Must have lots of potential.  Wrong.  The Lions cut him after this year.  A second round pick they cut after one year.
Greg Blue.  A year later he's in the Canadian league.
Patrick Body.  A year later he's in the Canadian league.
Kenoy Kennedy.  A year later he's not even in the Canadian league.

So Joe Barry's secondary as defensive coordinator of the Lions:

5/9 players in the secondary are either out of football completely or in the Canadian league a year later.
2/9 are on the same team a year later.

Imagine having a secondary so bad that the only two players you bring back the following year instead of outright cutting them are Travis Fisher and Ramzee Robinson, both of which you cut the next offseason. 

Is it any surprise to me that Lions team set the completion percentage record in NFL history?  No. 

Joe Barry got more out of that Lions team than Pettine ever could get out of a team.

Could you imagine Pettine with that secondary? 

First four paragraphs were totally true. Stop wasting your time with the rest of it. Barry would be more of the same crap we've had at DC, no future HC potential, older, retread. It would royally suck *** and Id rather stick with a guy I know could produce a top 12 defense next year like Pettine than deal with this crap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jim Leonhard is the stupidest man alive.

He reminds me of Kubiak, and his utter reluctance to leave Denver back in the 90’s to take a HC position.  He hemmed and hawed for years, flirting with teams, only to pull out after receiving offers.  When he finally accepted a HC gig, he really wasn’t all that successful.

I think you either have the desire for upward mobility, or you prefer comfort and security.  Now we know what’s in Leonhard’s heart.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Till Leonhard actually comments publicly (if he does) all the conjecture on why he turned the position down is nothing but "It could be this....or it could be that" make believe.

I presume the Packers got a solid / actual reason - which is all that matter at this juncture. 

Realistically, what is Leonhard going to tell GB that wasn't the kind of generic stuff we saw in the presser?  He probably told them more or less exactly the same thing.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

First four paragraphs were totally true. Stop wasting your time with the rest of it. Barry would be more of the same crap we've had at DC, no future HC potential, older, retread. It would royally suck *** and Id rather stick with a guy I know could produce a top 12 defense next year like Pettine than deal with this crap.

I don’t disagree with you, but he got more out of what he had in Detroit than Pettine got out of what he had here.

And that Washington team was a top 5 scoring defense.

You can’t deny those facts.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I don’t disagree with you, but he got more out of what he had in Detroit than Pettine got out of what he had here.

And that Washington team was a top 5 scoring defense.

You can’t deny those facts.

LOL you’re going to hate him by week 3 but at least you’re not doomer posting anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Barry would be more of the same crap we've had at DC, no future HC potential, older, retread. It would royally suck *** and Id rather stick with a guy I know could produce a top 12 defense next year.

I don't know what is more depressing, the thought of having Barry at DC, or wishing GB had just kept Pettine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This move was supposed to be the thing that got me over the NFCCG and ready for next year. If we hire Barry, I'm not sure how I can possibly be excited for next season or the draft, someone save Matt LaFleur from himself, ASAP.

It was always 2 doors: get to Super Bowl and keep Pettine or fail yet again to reach Super Bowl and upgrade from Pettine.

Apparently MLF found door no. 3.