Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

You'd at least hope that a coach can get the most out of what he has with his players, and that was largely why Pettine was fired IMO. Those Detroit teams were terrible but you'd like to think a good coach could have gotten more out of his guys than....historically terrible. If this is indeed the route LaFleur goes, this move inspires little confidence that Barry is a guy who will be any better than Pettine was as maximizing the talent he has

2 hours ago, Chili said:

From my point of view in terms of opportunity for Leonhard he won't get a better one than this imo. He is not going to go straight to Head Coach in the NFL from college as a DC especially as a defensive guy. Its usually college HC that make the jump straight to NFL HC.

1. He remains in-state

2. Defensive system, players and staff are already in place for him.

3. Significantly larger pay

4. Immediate shot at Superbowl which can provide a massive career boost.

5. Wisconsin Head Coach is only 55. Why not spend a few years in the NFL before the Wisconsin HC job opens up?

I am very surprised he turned it down. He is not going to get a DC opportunity this perfect again. Might tick one or two boxes elsewhere but nothing like this.

If he didn't feel like this was the right time he is better off honing his skills in Madison.

My favorite Joe Barry moment. Of course this is the guy we want:

Detroit News columnist Rob Parker asked Marinelli if he wished his daughter married a better defensive coordinator, taking a shot at his son-in-law Joe Barry, after Sunday's 42-7 loss to New Orleans.

https://www.benningtonbanner.com/local-news/marinelli-doesnt-find-reporters-joke-funny/article_18245e3b-cdeb-572f-8714-3df85d9f46ee.html

• Like 1

I expect part of the issue was Leonhard wondering why MLF wanted him in the first place after letting one of his primary mentors (Pettine) walk.  By all accounts, Leonhard and Pettine are still friends, and I am sure Leonhard had some reservations about stepping in as his replacement.

2 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

So was it a money issue? If it "wasn't the right time" to go to the NFL then why interview? This sounds like some drama, and now I'm worried they are going to "settle" for a different DC.

Probably a mixture of factors.

Money

security

likes the college game/dynamic of coaching > pro game

Insight from Pettine

Not meshing with MLF

Hard to know if the fit is right without interviewing.   

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I expect part of the issue was Leonhard wondering why MLF wanted him in the first place after letting one of his primary mentors (Pettine) walk.  By all accounts, Leonhard and Pettine are still friends, and I am sure Leonhard had some reservations about stepping in as his replacement.

P***y

42 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Why in the world doesn't MLF just wait until after the Super Bowl and grab some one off KC or TB? I really like the aggressive play TB showed us. Isn't that what MLF wants? 

I wouldn't be surprised if he now does just that.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Possible Pettine gave Leonhard insight on how MLF operates.  There were some dynamics that might not be favorable that we don't fully know.