Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The puzzling thing to me is that GB/MLF must have had positive vibes after Leonhard's interview, and an expectation that he would accept the offer.  Otherwise, the offer never would have been made.  Given that GB did make the offer, there is no way Leonhard was signaling any reservations during the interview process.  For Leonhard to then turn around say he is declining the offer from GB because his heart isn't in it to leave UW... that seems odd.  What changed?

This is why I wonder if money might have been an issue. MJS reported that LaFleur and Leonhard met all day Friday and were joined for a short time by Murphy. Maybe Leonhard didn't get from Murphy what he was looking for. 

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Who knows.  But there could be a few reasons.  

Assuming that GB expected a yes answer after the 2nd interview is odd.  Maybe Leonhard walked out feeling it was a bad fit.  Maybe Leonhard talked with his family, friends, mentors and that influenced his decision.   Maybe Alvarez got in his ear about "other opportunities " in the college game.

Maybe he never really got an offer from the Packers .. just an opportunity to be a part of the finalists.

Bob Frapples -   I don’t really love Barry, but doesn’t he obviously have a better resume than Evero?

• Ross Uglem -   Depends on how you value failure, I guess. Is a 39 year old coach who hasn’t been a coordinator yet a better option than a guy who has been an unsuccessful DC twice who is 50?   “Resume” means “age” a lot of the time.

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Maybe he never really got an offer from the Packers .. just an opportunity to be a part of the finalists.

From JSO

Leonhard informed LaFleur on Friday night that he was turning down an offer to become the Packers’ defensive coordinator, Leonhard's Madison-based agent, Tim Valentyn, confirmed Saturday morning.

Seems pretty clear cut that an offer was made.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Another possibility. 

I'm probably wrong .. the latest news has some quotes from Leonhard that make it seem like he had an offer of some sort and came close to accepting.  Too bad .. was hoping we'd land him.  Definitely don't want Barry.  Given his track record as DC he can't lead men.  Eviro is at least a young and hungry coach who hasn't proven to be a loser yet.  Jerry Gray would also be acceptable, but meh.

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2021/02/06/green-bay-packers-wisconsins-jim-leonhard-turns-down-dc-offer/4419287001/

"It was very real," Leonhard told the State Journal on Saturday morning. "I was about out the door."

Sounds like he either had an offer or he's a liar. 

MLF knows Evero from his time with LA, and apparently the two became good friends. Not sure how you can question MLF's judgement when it comes to him. So much goes into the process that we will never know. Maybe Evero's potential staff choices were underwhelming. Maybe he doesn't yet have enough connections across the league. Maybe his limited experience as a safeties coach showed through in the interview and he was over his head. Not sure how random internet guy has a better feel than MLF

Seems to me that MLF has a pretty good handle on dealing with people and knows what he is looking for. Pettine came recommended by the organization and I'm sure MLF learned a ton from him, and now has a great feel for what he wants, and what he doesn't want. 

Edited by cannondale