2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

17 hours ago, cannondale said:

Needed a CB way more than an Edge that draft. And if Watt went to Vanderbilt, no one would care. 

When you draft based on need you get burned more often than not. 

Also, what does Watt being from UW have anything to do with him being one of the best defensive players in the NFL right now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

With the new minimum $180 million things are looking better and better :)

I was hoping there would be some mitigation of something that will be a huge problem for about half the league.  There will still be some bloodletting and it will be interesting to see how this affects free agency. 

I would assume cap rich teams will get the cream of the crop, but there should be a good-mid tier level of player trying to navigate a tough financial landscape.  My take, there will be more short term deals as guys bet on themselves and hope for better times in a year or two.

It would be a good year to have some extra room in the budget, unfortunately that is not GB.

Edited by Refugee

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I was a fan of both Watt and King coming out.  

You can't argue that CB wasn't the biggest need that off-season.

King:  6'3''.  200 pounds.  4.43-40 yard dash.  6.56-3 cone.  Vertical-39.5.

King had all the measurables you wanted at corner.  There aren't many his size that can flat out run like him.  Those measurables are why you bring him back if he will cost $3.5M for year.  

King has flashed at times.  And burned at times.  That is the life of an NFL corner.  Pettine did him few favors.

And none of that takes away from the fact that TJ is by far the better player right now.  He should have been the pick using hindsight.  

It's also hard to argue against taking King in that year.

Using hindsight, Watt should have been selected in the top 3 or 5 of the 2017 draft.  It's not like it was only GB who whiffed on him.  

This is the craziest part about King to me because the guy plays much slower than this on the field. Moreover, I still think his biggest weakness, other than his injury problems, has been the mental side of the game. His situational awareness is below average and his instincts are probably even worse. Hard to be a top CB in this league when you're a step slower reacting to everything.  

• Like 1

Based on recent chatter, it seems that the Watt sweepstakes is between the Packers, Bills and Browns. Haven't heard much about Pittsburgh and frankly, other than his brothers being there, Pittsburgh never made a lot of sense anyways because of the personnel they already have there. 

I don't consider the Browns a serious contender unless they blow away the other offers and Watt jumps at the extra gravy. Watt has to know that deep down, Mayfield doesn't compare to Allen or Rodgers. If he wants a serious chance at a title, the Browns fall to the bottom of the list. 

I actually think the Bills may be the front runner for Watt. They are a team on the brink with a young stud at QB and a tough defense. Plus, Beane is typically an aggressive GM and will probably make a sweeter offer to Watt than GB. The only possible attribute GB can offer Watt over Buffalo is the supporting cast on defense. It's pretty clear Watt is looking to go somewhere where he doesn't have to be "the guy" on every down. Frankly, the guy is probably tired of being double-teamed every passing down. It was recently reported the "supporting cast" around him will factor big in his decision. Here, I think GB trumps Buffalo. While Buffalo is very good on the back-end, up front, they aren't great. They certainly don't have a Kenny Clark on the inside or Z Smith on the outside. If Watt truly values being a little more "free" on his next team, GB should have an edge there. 

7 hours ago, coachbuns said:

LOL .. pick and chose.  Face it, King turned out to be a disappointment big time and Watt a stud.  It's over ... face it ... turn the page.

Pick and choose ?? I did. I chose facts. Lots of them.  And how it turned out wasn't the argument.

Edited by cannondale

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

When you draft based on need you get burned more often than not. 

Also, what does Watt being from UW have anything to do with him being one of the best defensive players in the NFL right now? 

News flash - you always draft based on need.

Watt being from WI has nothing to do with being good, but it has everything to do with fans not letting go. In 2015 alone, the Packers could have had Collins, McKinney, Kendricks, Clark, Lockett, Johnson, Hunter, Smith, Alexander, Diggs, just to name a few of the Pro Bowlers. How come no one talks about that ?? Because they aren't from WI

• Like 3

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

This is the craziest part about King to me because the guy plays much slower than this on the field. Moreover, I still think his biggest weakness, other than his injury problems, has been the mental side of the game. His situational awareness is below average and his instincts are probably even worse. Hard to be a top CB in this league when you're a step slower reacting to everything.  

I don't think he is a step slow in reacting.  Never have.  As a rookie, he played Julio Jones tough (I think).  I feel like we all have a bad taste in our mouth concerning King because of this past year..  A year in which he was asked to play so far off the ball it should have criminal, and I'm betting ultimately, it was a fireable offense for the DC.

And it doesn't help King's cause that JA is just such a stud.  Jaire makes things look so easy and effortless at times out there.  JA makes King look inferior just because of how good and quick twitch JA is.

Guess I feel like you are being too hard on King based on what your eyes told you last year.  And I feel like that was more the fault of Pettine than anything else.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat at 3.5M for one year and let him play more man to man.  Not sure I'm wouldn't pay him that amount to play a good, pure zone, either.  But I feel like man is his strongpoint.  

But I do get what you are saying.  

47 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Based on recent chatter, it seems that the Watt sweepstakes is between the Packers, Bills and Browns. Haven't heard much about Pittsburgh and frankly, other than his brothers being there, Pittsburgh never made a lot of sense anyways because of the personnel they already have there. 

I don't consider the Browns a serious contender unless they blow away the other offers and Watt jumps at the extra gravy. Watt has to know that deep down, Mayfield doesn't compare to Allen or Rodgers. If he wants a serious chance at a title, the Browns fall to the bottom of the list. 

I actually think the Bills may be the front runner for Watt. They are a team on the brink with a young stud at QB and a tough defense. Plus, Beane is typically an aggressive GM and will probably make a sweeter offer to Watt than GB. The only possible attribute GB can offer Watt over Buffalo is the supporting cast on defense. It's pretty clear Watt is looking to go somewhere where he doesn't have to be "the guy" on every down. Frankly, the guy is probably tired of being double-teamed every passing down. It was recently reported the "supporting cast" around him will factor big in his decision. Here, I think GB trumps Buffalo. While Buffalo is very good on the back-end, up front, they aren't great. They certainly don't have a Kenny Clark on the inside or Z Smith on the outside. If Watt truly values being a little more "free" on his next team, GB should have an edge there. 

Browns play in a really tough division.  That has to work against them.  Pittsburgh, Ravens.

Bills division?  Yah, Patriots, Dolphins, Just End The Season.

If he goes to the AFC, he's going to have to get past KC.

NFC...uh...maybe Tampa, if they can hold it together.  

Guess I feel like NFC and GB is the best fit from a division/conference standpoint.

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Watt being from WI has nothing to do with being good, but it has everything to do with fans not letting go. In 2015 alone, the Packers could have had Collins, McKinney, Kendricks, Clark, Lockett, Johnson, Hunter, Smith, Alexander, Diggs, just to name a few of the Pro Bowlers. How come no one talks about that ?? Because they aren't from WI

Very true.

But how many of those guys are the #2 defensive player in the league?  (Arguably #1)?

I think the Watt obsession is both his Wisconsin roots (as it darned well should be) AND his superior play.  Not just good play, or Pro Bowl play, but arguably the best defender in the league.

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Very true.

But how many of those guys are the #2 defensive player in the league?  (Arguably #1)?

I think the Watt obsession is both his Wisconsin roots (as it darned well should be) AND his superior play.  Not just good play, or Pro Bowl play, but arguably the best defender in the league.

It was a miss. No doubt. But he lasted until pick #30 for a reason. Everyone missed on him. But that's a given. Happens every single year. The argument is that at the time of the pick, King was the correct direction to go. And being from WI doesn't make it more or less of a mistake. Or a reason to keep bringing it up 5 years after the fact.

Edited by cannondale

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think he is a step slow in reacting.  Never have.  As a rookie, he played Julio Jones tough (I think).  I feel like we all have a bad taste in our mouth concerning King because of this past year..  A year in which he was asked to play so far off the ball it should have criminal, and I'm betting ultimately, it was a fireable offense for the DC.

And it doesn't help King's cause that JA is just such a stud.  Jaire makes things look so easy and effortless at times out there.  JA makes King look inferior just because of how good and quick twitch JA is.

Guess I feel like you are being too hard on King based on what your eyes told you last year.  And I feel like that was more the fault of Pettine than anything else.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat at 3.5M for one year and let him play more man to man.  Not sure I'm wouldn't pay him that amount to play a good, pure zone, either.  But I feel like man is his strongpoint.  

But I do get what you are saying.  

The one benefit of the doubt I will give him is that I think he was playing through some injuries last year and it probably impacted his play. That being said...we also have to start asking what good is a player who is frequently hurt and/or playing less than 100% because of injury. King just can't seem to get there. 

55 minutes ago, cannondale said:

GB needed a backup QB during the 2020 draft?

38 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It was a miss. No doubt. But he lasted until pick #30 for a reason. Everyone missed on him. But that's a given. Happens every single year. The argument is that at the time of the pick, King was the correct direction to go. And being from WI doesn't make it more or less of a mistake. Or a reason to keep bringing it up 5 years after the fact.

You go with King ... I'll go with Watt.  You go it was because he was from Wis and I won't.  You win; I win.  Regardless - Packers lost on that deal big time.