Fantasy Baseball Advice Thread

deuces22wild

52 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

@kyle21121 I like your team better than mine lmao. Is it a 10 team league? I like your pitchers a lot.

Yea 10 team league. I think I did pretty good pitching wise I was pretty pleased the way things fell into place. There were a couple of questionable early round picks but most other teams look pretty solid. There doesn’t seem to be a weak link. 

How many teams in your league? I think you ended up with a pretty solid team. 

Edited by kyle21121
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Yea 10 team league. I think I did pretty good pitching wise I was pretty pleased the way things fell into place. There were a couple of questionable early round picks but most other teams look pretty solid. There doesn’t seem to be a weak link. 

How many teams in your league? I think you ended up with a pretty solid team. 

Yeah I have 10 as well. All the pitchers kept getting snagged early and I didn't want to reach on any of them.
probably gonna come back and bite me lol.

My 2nd year doing Fantasy baseball....12-man league

C: JT Realmuto
1B: Paul Goldschmidt
2B: Yoan Moncada 
SS: Fernando Tatis Jr 
3B: Alex Bregman
2B/SS: Corey Seager
1B/3B: Brandon Belt
OF: Nick Castellanos
OF: Eloy Jimenez
OF: Harrison Bader
Util: Wil Myers 
Bench: Peter Alonoso
Bench: Nick Senzel 
Bench: Starlin Castro
Bench: Shohei Ohtani
IL: Scooter Gennett 

P: Edwin Diaz
P: Jordan Hicks
P: Josh Hader
P: Michael Wacha
P: Joey Lucchesi
P: Mike Foltynewicz
P: Yusei Kikuchi 
P: Jon Lester 

Don't even know how I feel about it honestly. Kinda new to this whole fantasy baseball thing. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

39 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Don't even know how I feel about it honestly. Kinda new to this whole fantasy baseball thing. 

I like your offense, I do think your pitching is probably going to be a little bit thin. Roto or H2H for fantasy? If there are more offensive categories in H2H, you might do decently well.

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I am struggling to see who would be your 1st and 2nd round picks.  I'd assume Goldy and then Seager but would be a reach for both of them.  I like the youth movement you have going on but you will need to hit on all of them to be competitive IMO. 

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I like your offense, I do think your pitching is probably going to be a little bit thin. Roto or H2H for fantasy? If there are more offensive categories in H2H, you might do decently well.

Yeah.  I really wanted no piece of guys like Wacha or Lester this season, so I'd probably be keeping them on a really short leash (I like Lester as a grenade this season - where he's someone that others in my league will likely grab off of waivers on name value, but he's more useful to me as a guy who will cause others in my league to drop someone I'm more interested in to add him).

I'd say for him to keep tabs on the #3-5 guys in Houston (Peacock, Miley in particular) because they've just been able to spin whatever pitchers they bring in into gold.  I've got like every Marlins young pitcher on my watch list right now too because it looks like Miami's going to be content to give them some leash to get them innings and experience.  Trevor Richards may not get you much more than 7 or 8 wins on the season, but he should be good in all other categories.  Just based off owned-%, I'd rather have a guy like Matt Strahm (or Paddack especially, but I'd expect Paddack to be owned in any reasonable league at this point) right now than Wacha.

12 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am struggling to see who would be your 1st and 2nd round picks.  I'd assume Goldy and then Seager but would be a reach for both of them.  I like the youth movement you have going on but you will need to hit on all of them to be competitive IMO. 

Well my friend that's because I'm retarded and forgot to add my 3B Alex Bregman to my post. He and Goldy were my 1st and 2nd round picks. 

@The Gnat

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Well my friend that's because I'm retarded and forgot to add my 3B Alex Bregman to my post. He and Goldy were my 1st and 2nd round picks. 

@The Gnat

That definitely makes it a little better.  Its a solid team and looks a lot like mine tend to with tons of rookies/prospects.  Its a fun way to play but its always a wild ride and can win you a league or put you in last place.  Overall I like it.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That definitely makes it a little better.  Its a solid team and looks a lot like mine tend to with tons of rookies/prospects.  Its a fun way to play but its always a wild ride and can win you a league or put you in last place.  Overall I like it.

Agreed, you need to pepper some of them in there. The pitching is definitely a concern especially since Folty is out for a little bit. Hopefully its just a 1 time thing though 

1 hour ago, tgrades3 said:

Any decent pitcher sleepers out there to keep an eye on? I missed half my draft & was given 6 closers in the auto draft

At this point I'm guessing you're looking for any shot in the dark, last I checked these guys were outside the ESPN Top-50

Julio Urias(given the LAD injuries, he might be used more often out of necessity)

Hyun Jin Ryu, injuries hold him back but when he pitched he does well

Brad Peacock, Colin McHugh, Wade Miley(all 3 Astros pitched well last year and are starting for a good team)

Alex Reyes(deep sleeper for injuries and the Cardinals in no hurry to rush him)

Jesus Luzardo

Jimmy Nelson, good in 2017 and then got hurt and missed all of 2018. Worth a shot

Those might be too obvious and idk what you know. There are other guys here that know better than me but these are guys that I tried to get. Got a few of them. Most are shots in the dark and all have reasons why they may have not been drafted or not in the Top-50 but some potential is there too

Hope this helps

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, The LBC said:

Yeah.  I really wanted no piece of guys like Wacha or Lester this season, so I'd probably be keeping them on a really short leash (I like Lester as a grenade this season - where he's someone that others in my league will likely grab off of waivers on name value, but he's more useful to me as a guy who will cause others in my league to drop someone I'm more interested in to add him).

I'd say for him to keep tabs on the #3-5 guys in Houston (Peacock, Miley in particular) because they've just been able to spin whatever pitchers they bring in into gold.  I've got like every Marlins young pitcher on my watch list right now too because it looks like Miami's going to be content to give them some leash to get them innings and experience.  Trevor Richards may not get you much more than 7 or 8 wins on the season, but he should be good in all other categories.  Just based off owned-%, I'd rather have a guy like Matt Strahm (or Paddack especially, but I'd expect Paddack to be owned in any reasonable league at this point) right now than Wacha.

Which Marlin pitchers in particular? We only have 4 bench spots but loading up guys on a watch list is never a bad thing

I'd probably put them in order:

Richards

Pablo Lopez

Sandy Alcantara

Caleb Smith

Jose Urena

Alcantara had a good showing earlier this weekend, but he's way too dependent on his fastball for where his control is at (not exactly reliable).  I'm monitoring him to see if he's actually turned a corner or not.  Kind of hoping they stretch of Tayron Guerrero at some point, but that may not come till next season, if it does.  Lopez is probably someone you'll want to sit against really strong lineups, but his K-rate is legit.  He's still putting it together, but he's on the right side of the curve.  They pulled him at 88 pitches the other night in the middle of the 5th, if he'd have gotten himself into the 6th he'd have qualified for a quality start, but as is he threw strikes on 62 of his 88 pitches  and got the win along with 7 K's.  That's a back of the rotation fantasy starter that can see his ERA smoothed over by your ace.

7 hours ago, tgrades3 said:

Any decent pitcher sleepers out there to keep an eye on? I missed half my draft & was given 6 closers in the auto draft

In addition to the ones mentioned:

Keep an eye on how Corbin Burnes does in his start today for the Brewers, but he's likely worth a flier.

Speaking of the Brewers, Jimmy Nelson has been a popular injury-stash in deeper leagues.  He hasn't played since 2017, but he was effective to say the least back them.

It's the Royals, I know, but Jakob Junis is a good pitcher.

Jesus Luzardo on the A's is their best pitching prospect (so far as I'm aware) and was on-schedule to lead that rotation, but he's out 4-6 (I always err on the high side, so I'd count on 6) weeks to start the season.  If you can cobble together streamers in his place till then, he's a good stash.

There's upside to be had with Zach Eflin on the Phillies (he's one of those Snell-esque pitchers that if he finds the control that's eluded him in the past, he can surge).  But be wary because his issue is that same for a lot of similar style pitchers, he'll throw flames but the long-ball is his biggest nemesis.

Matt Strahm from the Padres, I think, can be a good pickup.  He kind of gets lost in the Paddack/Luchessi love.

And obviously keep tabs as the season progresses on if/when the Stros bring up Forrest Whitley.