Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Stafford isn't any of the QBs you named.

No, but it's to point out that there isn't that much of a drop off in play. Whatever Stafford is now, don't expect it to get dramatically worse anytime soon.

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Stafford is a future HOFer? Geez I have never considered him a gold jacket guy myself.

I mean, he’s on the verge of eclipsing the 50,000 mark. When it’s all said & done he’ll be in the HOF and rightfully so. One of the most under appreciated players of the past decade!

3 minutes ago, DannyB said:

No, but it's to point out that there isn't that much of a drop off in play. Whatever Stafford is now, don't expect it to get dramatically worse anytime soon.

Or he could get dramatically worse. Nobody really knows.

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Stafford is a future HOFer? Geez I have never considered him a gold jacket guy myself.

No, it's the biggest load of horse crap being perpetuated on the NFL audience these days. Same with Matt Ryan. They've both been pretty good and started for a decade in the most pass-happy quarterback-friendly era in the history of the NFL. That gets you super high on all-time lists without actually reflecting HoF-level play.

Not Hall of Fame stuff.

Just now, BofaDeez54927 said:

I get the Goff hate because he hasn't taken the Rams where they want to go, but he's not awful.

Its reminiscent of the Stafford talk 7-8 years ago.

He took them to the Super Bowl 3 years ago, but I guess that suddenly doesn’t count for anything

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Interested in hearing why you believe that? But a lot of this is going to depend on where Watson wants to play. If the Texans are fine trading him inside the conference, then no team is going to be able to compete with the Jets or Dolphins. 

In large part it's because I don't believe the Texans feel all that leveraged to have to trade Watson just because he's demanding it.  Let's play the, in my opinion still pretty unlikely, scenario wherein the Texans call Deshaun's bluff and he sits out the 2021 season.  It's Deshaun Watson, his trade value isn't diminishing much because he sat out a year - he's a proven commodity at this point.  Whereas the Texans, with their sub-par OL, and Josh McCown (or an equivalent free agent) at QB are an odds-on favorite for a Top 5 pick in 2022, wherein they could still trade Watson for comparable value to what they could get this offseason and be in a markedly better position to secure his replacement than they would be with the #12 overall pick this year (it would be part of any deal for Watson if he were traded to the Niners this year), wherein depending on how the board fell, they may find themselves in an even more-leveraged position to have to trade up to get a QB because they painted themselves into a corner (and don't have a 1st themselves, this year, to start with).

Thus, I think it's very reasonable to assume, as @Forge did, that unless they're getting back a QB they feel they can build with (no, Jimmy is not that with the contract he's on) or an elite talent still on at least half of his rookie deal, they're not entertaining the idea of trading their franchise QB - they'll go about doing whatever they can to try and mend the relationship, and at least burn a season doing that before torching the bridge between the coupling.  The WFT has a lower 1st to offer this season, but I believe, have more of those elite (or near-elite) young players that they'd actually be willing to part with in order to facilitate the deal, were Houston even to be interested.  WFT is also more likely to present the prospect of those future picks being higher in the draft order than the Niners would be.  It all factors into the calculus.

Just now, NJC33 said:

I mean, he’s on the verge of eclipsing the 50,000 mark. When it’s all said & done he’ll be in the HOF and rightfully so. One of the most under appreciated players of the past decade!

No he won't. He's accomplished absolutely nothing in the playoffs. His passing yds in today's NFL mean very little TBH given this pass wacky league the past decade plus.

He'd have to overachieve his next few years as a Ram to remotely be considered.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Or he could get dramatically worse. Nobody really knows.

Yes, or his spinal cord may shear completely in half tomorrow, I don't know. I'm just looking at past examples to give a best guess for the future.

Jesus almighty if you told me 4 hours ago that I would, right now, be both defending Matt Stafford and talking the ever-optimistic Rams fans off the ledge...holy Toledo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

He took them to the Super Bowl 3 years ago, but I guess that suddenly doesn’t count for anything

Given the fact your HC/GM just traded him away I'd say the answer is an astounding No. It doesn't matter.

Just now, DannyB said:

Yes, or his spinal cord may shear completely in half tomorrow, I don't know. I'm just looking at past examples to give a best guess for the future.

Jesus almighty if you told me 4 hours ago that I would, right now, be both defending Matt Stafford and talking the ever-optimistic Rams fans off the ledge...holy Toledo.

Issue is that there are a lot of QBs who retired younger than the guys you named. They're pretty special players. And outside of Rodgers, they aren't very reliant on physical tools. Rodgers is the only guy on that list I'd say is mobile and has a strong arm. Plus, Stafford suffered a severe back injury in 2019.

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No he won't. He's accomplished absolutely nothing in the playoffs. His passing yds in today's NFL mean very little TBH given this pass wacky league the past decade plus.

He'd have to overachieve his next few years as a Ram to remotely be considered.

Why does he need to overachieve? 

He's in a tier 1 market now and if they happen to win a SB?

His past will be the sins of Detroit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

In large part it's because I don't believe the Texans feel all that leveraged to have to trade Watson just because he's demanding it.  Let's play the, in my opinion still pretty unlikely, scenario wherein the Texans call Deshaun's bluff and he sits out the 2021 season.  It's Deshaun Watson, his trade value isn't diminishing much because he sat out a year - he's a proven commodity at this point.  Whereas the Texans, with their sub-par OL, and Josh McCown (or an equivalent free agent) at QB are an odds-on favorite for a Top 5 pick in 2022, wherein they could still trade Watson for comparable value to what they could get this offseason and be in a markedly better position to secure his replacement than they would be with the #12 overall pick this year (it would be part of any deal for Watson if he were traded to the Niners this year), wherein depending on how the board fell, they may find themselves in an even more-leveraged position to have to trade up to get a QB because they painted themselves into a corner (and don't have a 1st themselves, this year, to start with).

Thus, I think it's very reasonable to assume, as @Forge did, that unless they're getting back a QB they feel they can build with (no, Jimmy is not that with the contract he's on) or an elite talent still on at least half of his rookie deal, they're not entertaining the idea of trading their franchise QB - they'll go about doing whatever they can to try and mend the relationship, and at least burn a season doing that before torching the bridge between the coupling.  The WFT has a lower 1st to offer this season, but I believe, have more of those elite (or near-elite) young players that they'd actually be willing to part with in order to facilitate the deal, were Houston even to be interested.  WFT is also more likely to present the prospect of those future picks being higher in the draft order than the Niners would be.  It all factors into the calculus.

If the Texans plan to hold on to Watson this season regardless if he reports or not, then that obviously changes things. In that case who knows what teams end up with top 3 picks. The team with the #1 overall pick may trade for Watson for all we know. 

I'm not sure if they will be able to get a package than what the Jets can offer them this year. They can even throw in a young QB in Darnold who may be able to still turn it around with multiple first round picks in then next two drafts, including a top 2 pick this year. Holding on to Watson for a year likely isn't going to change that. So if they don't care about trading Watson to the AFC, then the Jets make the most sense. Jets need a lot of improvements and even with Watson are not likely a playoff team in year one so they will still have a fairly high pick in 2022.

It will depend on who the Niners/Redskins are willing to trade for Watson. They both have young stud DEs that they can offer, but will they? I believe the Niners may offer up Bosa after seeing the defense still be top 10 without him this season. Of course, they were not close to what they were in 2019 with him, but still very good nonetheless. I'm not quite sure the Redskins would put up Chase Young in any package. I can be wrong though. Either way, the only way both teams can make good enough offers is putting up one of their best young assets. Draft compensation is not going to cut it.