Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, El Ramster said:

It’s better to cut losses than go down with a sinking ship... jags held on to Bortles. The Mitch experience. The foles experience. The Eli once he was done. At some point you gotta cut the arm before the poison spreads. 

Says the guy with a Jared Goff avy 🤣

Underrated but this is pretty devastating for the Colts as well. Stafford was pretty clearly their best bet at replacing Rivers and keeping things rolling. Now they are back to 2019 form and I don't see any scenario where they pry Watson from the Texans. So now they have the 21st overall and need a QB. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kirill said:

Says the guy with a Jared Goff avy 🤣

Well I love Goff and I’m a huge believer in him. It’s not what a fan thinks. It’s what the coach and GM BELIVE. You gotta come back with some comebacks that are better than that face in your avy. 

Just now, lancerman said:

Underrated but this is pretty devastating for the Colts as well. Stafford was pretty clearly their best bet at replacing Rivers and keeping things rolling. Now they are back to 2019 form and I don't see any scenario where they pry Watson from the Texans. So now they have the 21st overall and need a QB. 

It's way better to draft your own guy anyways. Way better chance of becoming a contender, you get to mold him, you're not getting damaged goods, he's actually cheap for 4-5 years unlike these vets where you're giving up a treasure chest of picks for a dude whose already had like 40 injuries.

1 minute ago, El Ramster said:

Well I love Goff and I’m a huge believer in him. It’s not what a fan thinks. It’s what the coach and GM BELIVE. You gotta come back with some comebacks that are better than that face in your avy. 

I don't gotta do nothing, I knew Goff was trash from point A to point Z. Maybe football guy Dan Campbell can motivate Goff. Something tells me Goff has 140 million reasons to not care.

The matty ice hate is getting unreal in here, dude is a baller/gamer. Yes, the last 3 seasons have been meh from a team success perspective. But Detroit is an absolute dumpster fire organization that has won 1 playoff game in 63 years. 

When you look back at Stafford's previous 7 seasons the Lions went above .500 in 4 of them, 7-9 in two of them, and 4-12 in one of them. With a 57-55 record overall, slightly above .500. With the JV squad, terrible coaches, and terrible management. 

For comparisons sake. 

Goff went 9-6 in 2020: Only sacked 23 times, #10 rushing game in the NFL, #1 defense in the NFL in yards allowed and points allowed. 

Stafford went 9-7 in 2017: Sacked 47 times, #32 rushing game in the NFL, #27 defense in the NFL in yards allowed and #21 defense in points allowed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kirill said:

It's way better to draft your own guy anyways. Way better chance of becoming a contender, you get to mold him, you're not getting damaged goods, he's actually cheap for 4-5 years unlike these vets where you're giving up a treasure chest of picks for a dude whose already had like 40 injuries.

It is but the Colts are basically just in the "we need a QB" scenario of having everything elese in place and they won't get a good pick unless they trade for it at this point.

5 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Goff is a beautiful man, I'd keep the avi as well. But make sure you get the Matty Ice signature up ASAP, that man is what I like to call a savage. 

Stafford holding a can like this in Rams colors that says Matty Ice would make my head literally explode. 

ci-natural-ice-213252896992eece.jpeg?aut

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I don't gotta do nothing, I knew Goff was trash from point A to point Z. Maybe football guy Dan Campbell can motivate Goff. Something tells me Goff has 140 million reasons to not care.

Right. He’s still a great talent and a great person. Rooting for the bro... 

8 minutes ago, lancerman said:

There are still some QB's to be had on the market. Jimmy G, Carson Wentz, and Sam Darnold could all be options for you guys. If not you could bring back Birsett and make a slight move up in the draft for Mac Jones or Trey Lance. 

11 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Lets trade Goff for that first rounder.

2 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Right. He’s still a great talent and a great person. Rooting for the bro... 

The Rams are at their Chiefs moment right now. Goff is a good QB just like Alex Smith was a good QB for the Chiefs. But neither guy had the playmaking or ability to make plays out of the structure of the offense to push the team over the hump. The Chiefs realized this and went and got a true gun slinging playmaker in Mahomes. The Rams also realized this and went out and got probably the most underrated QB in football with Matty Ice. 

Shot out to whoever the Rams GM is that man got a pair of cajones on him. Dude isn't afraid to make moves to win now, I absolutely love it. Reminds me of the Warriors firing their coach after a 50+ win season and 2nd round exit. For most organizations that would've been straight but when you're a franchise chasing titles it's not enough. 

Ram nation we out. 

• Like 1

BTW one component to the deal that deserves additional mention - why Detroit wanted to move quickly.  

Obviously there’s the angle to do right by Stafford.   And to sell with the highest number of bidders.   But I also think once LAR came in with this the appeal for Detroit to have a market of buyers for Goff appealed to them.  

I said teams trading for QB would see Goff’s contract as a negative for his 2019-20 level of play.  I could see Detroit try to rehabilitate his value by keeping him.  But I could also see take the roster bonus, restructure his salary to a bonus THEN trade him in March (when the business new year starts) - and turn the contract into a 4/80+ type contract, for a Day 2 pick to a team that misses out on the carousel.   They are clearly trying for the long game so eating 20-25M to make the $ work this year and remove the perceived negative value would be an alternate scenario.   But it only works if you have time to work it out ahead of the new year start when other teams start signing FA etc.   Food for thought.  

• Like 1